Yay! Pomegranate season is back!!!!

And here’s a nifty little trick to get those tasty little suckers out in no time.

I just deseeded 4 poms in under 2 minutes.

6 Likes

The ones on my tree are almost ready and the waiting is killing me!

1 Like

Fresh pomegranates make their oh-so-fleeting appearance here in Massachusetts this time of year. I scored two at Market Basket yesterday during our pre-Thanksgiving grocery run. They sell out fast so I buy them if I see them.

Pomegranate seeds scattered on top of a roasted butternut squash and arugula salad is a seasonal favorite of ours.

4 Likes

Why am I doing this again?

3 Likes

Like beautiful little jewels and make an instant visual impact in any food. Use it in yogurt, oatmeal porridge, salads, braises. Also goes well with fatty meat and game. Check out many middle eastern recipes for more ideas.

I got a bunch and have been adding them to my oatmeal breakfast.

4 Likes

This seems to be a good pomegranite year. Big, gorgeous fruit. We leave them on the tree till they crack, at which point, while less attractive, they are sweeter than when intact.

I don’t eat them. Husband stands on the deck, munches and spurts seeds.

I love the look of then on food but can’t handle the crunch. Same with soft shell crab. I realize I’m missing a lot…

2 Likes

I deseed 4 at a time, using the water bath method. Goes very quickly, little mess and then storing and using is a snap.

this morning, sprinkled in plain Greek yogurt with buckwheat honey.

3 Likes

We didn’t eat the seeds - the fruit around each one, and then the seed goes into another bowl. Lesson in patience. Dad ate the seeds and all, and now I’m more okay with doing that, though the aril by aril penance is tastier.

3 Likes

Does that mean seeding under water, or is there heat involved? I’m thinking it’s the pomegranate molasses that works best for me, but sometimes I mourn the fruit that are literally for the taking around here. Like some of the citrus. Meyers (lemons) on vacant lots! :pensive:a

No heat to deseed. Large glass bowl filled with water. Cut and break apart pomms under water. Seeds pop out very easily with just a tiny bit of pressure. Pith floats to top of water line. Scoop Pith out to discard. Drain water, store pomm seeds in frig.

3 Likes

I use the beating method and eat the seeds whole. No need to store - I can eat two in one sitting.

2 Likes

They are extremely popular in Andalusian cuisine too as well as Moroccan.

I like them in tri color lettuce salads with Red Raf tomatoes often called the Pata Negra Tomatoes or also Red Cherry tomatoes.

I have also prepared an Andalusian - Granada, dish of Monkfish with Pomegranate seeds and a drizzle of honey and white wine.

GRANADA is pomegranate in Spanish …

Yes, and lovely in Greek Yogurt too !!! Alot of vitamin C … And are sweet like sugar.

3 Likes

Yes to this. Salad is my favorite way to enjoy pomegranates.

I enjoy warm or room temperature roasted winter squash (such as butternut or delicata) with arugula and pomegranate seeds sprinkled over the top. I like a vinaigrette dressing of the nicest extra virgin olive oil we have on hand and a little balsamic vinegar. Sea salt flakes and a few grinds of pepper to taste.

2 Likes

We are big salad lovers however, we do not care for any type of yellow, orange or brown squashes.

We like green Zucchine (courgette) but not the squash you have mentioned. It is cultural. They are popular with expatriates from North America here. Italians use ZUCCA (pumpkin) for stuffing Ravioli and Agnoletti however, this is recent …

Enjoy and have a lovely weekend.

2 Likes

You would chuckle at the amount of winter squash we eat at our house. The main reason is that these squashes are seasonal vegetables that grow well at local farms where we live.

Pomegranates don’t grow here in New England of course but nice ones show up at my supermarket for awhile in the fall. So, salad!

4 Likes

I love, love, love pomegranate and anything pomegranate flavored. I haven’t ventured into cooking with them too much, because I generally am greedy and want to drink a whole glass of the juice.

I even invested in a heavy duty juicer, like this one below, for maximum extraction. It’s very efficient compared to the manual methods I’ve tried in the past. Last year, I had a box of gigantic pomegranates from Costco and went juicing crazy. Good times!

pom juicer

7 Likes

what brand?

Love pomegranates! The arils are beautiful in salads, and look like little glistening jewels, adding some flavor and a nice crunch too.

A splash of the juice goes well in seltzer, and is also a good mixer in cocktails.

I’ve made pomegranate jelly, but was disappointed in the end product. IME, it didn’t pack enough of a flavor punch. On a more positive note, I’ve added the juice to raspberry or blueberry jams with great results. Gives it an “extra” quality -without being a star, it’s a good supporting cast member. An area I sometimes visit in Arizona grows a lot of them, along with pistachios and pecans. Would love to have a tree in the yard, but not possible in my climate. Dang!

6 Likes

Have you tried it in pepper jelly? I have not, but wonder what it would add to color, if not flavor. I really like what pomegranate molasses adds as far as flavor is concerned, but don’t know how that would relate to jelly.

I’ve been thinking about this. I know it plays well with raspberries, blueberries and cranberries, and I could see it with some chiles added, and made into a spicy jam. The chiles I’d lean to are habaneros, serranos and jalapeños - in fact a combination of these would be delicious. I’m sure there are many more chiles that you’re familiar with that would also work. I’m not sure how well it would blend with bell pepper flavors, but maybe worthy of a try. I think you could achieve great colored jelly using the Pom juice, along with hot orange chiles for the heat punch. Wonder about recipes online? There may be a few. Maybe something for you to research!!

1 Like