Who can identify these?

Here are a few photos from my garden. See whether you can identify what’s in them. :smile:

Where is your garden - what zone are you in?

I am from Sri Lanka. It’s a small island nation in the Indian Ocean.

1 - pepper (a wild guess)

2 - galangal? ( another wild guess)

3 - I think I’d know those as curry leaves

I’m glad you mentioned where you are in the world, or the guesses would have been even wilder.

1 Like

You got the last one correct. Other 2 are wrong. I mean very wrong :smile:

2 Likes

Using Google Image Search, I got “barbados cherry” for the top picture, and “soil” for the middle one. (I think that’s probably wrong.)

2 Likes

Barbados cherry is wrong.
It’s not about the soil in the middle picture. lol.
If there’s one more wrong answer I’m going to make it easy :smile:

Oh, I know it’s not about the soil. I was just pointing out that Google did not do a very good job figuring out what I “meant.”

1 Like

Yeah I know you didn’t mean it, I know how funny Google search can be sometimes. But it’s way better than it was a few years ago. Once I searched for a face, and it showed a Volkswagen beetle car. lol.

1 Like

I’m pleased to get one right. :grinning:

Dried leaves are usually available to South Asian food shops near me.

We never use dried curry leaves. Only the green ones.
Deep fried fresh curry leaves, garlic, and peanuts with some salt and maybe a hint of red chille powder sprinkled, is a really tasty mixture.

That…is not a good match.

1 Like

According to our local SoCal Indian market fresh curry leaves can’t be sold in stores because of some kind of agriculture restriction which is pretty common in California.

That said, we started buying them at another market where apparently they’re okay with bypassing the restriction and then we saw the original market started selling them anyway.

1 Like

Here it’s a common plant in villages and only in the towns it’s sold. Fresh curry leaves of around 100 grams is sold for 30 LKR which is equal to 0.15 USD. It’s very easy to plant, even in a pot.

I’ve read about one or two people that grow curry leaf plants here in Southern California so it’s on my list of things to plant. I love having the fresh leaves around and it would be more worth it than other herbs you can just buy at the store

3 Likes

Usually curry leaf plant is grown from a cutting from a mature plant. But seeds are good too although no one does it. I’ll see if I can find some seeds to send you so you can have fresh curry leaves.

How about frozen? I thought I’d seen fresh or frozen for sale here in N Cal. Of course I really need to find them now.

I’ve been reading about fresh plants crossing border to California from other states, and it looks like there’s a lot of restrictions.
Curry leaves turn brown within a few days but well packeted they can live up to a week or so I think.

1 Like

fF that was North America…

1. Look like Pin Cherries or similar. Leaves are the correct shape for a type of cherry. Not what I consider highly edible, but very young, just ripe berries can sometimes be ok. They are tart and astringent. I have tons of the bushes growing wild on my back acres and am slowly pulling them up and just leaving ones in the verges and brush for birds and deer, which are both going wild over the sweet but astringent berries.
  2. ? is the pic of the pruned bushes? Not sure, maybe rhododendron bushes?
  3. Bush with long rows of long leaves in pairs. Look like they are Staghorn Sumac or similar. grow like a weed. but have red branches of dry berries that have a tart, tangy, flavor. Used as a finishing spice in the Middle East. I like them and grow them around one corner of my deck for shade, and for birds, especially hummingbirds, to hang out. Occasionally in late summer, when it has been dry for several hot days, I harvest the berries and make a lemonade style drink, or grind up to use for foods.
1 Like

You were very close, actually half correct about the 2nd photo. It’s pruned.
3rd one is curry leaves, you would’ve found if you had read @Harters answer. Curry leaves are used to flavour curries and certain fried snacks.