What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

Wings at the burger joint down the road and too many libations to count. Helps that the owner seems to like us :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Last night was another late one. I managed to put together an Everything salad and not chop off any finger tips :wink: basically all the veggies in my fridge, a dijon heavy vinegrette, and a bunch of “popped” lentils ontop from this recipe/method

Tonight i was home at a decent hour and since it was Ripe Avocado Day i decided to make a batch of lentil salad for dinner and to take for a few lunches. I used black lentils, radishes, cucumber, green onion, arugala, sunflower seeds, yellow bell pepper, lots of black pepper, and some avocado on my portion for tonight, the rest wrapped for lunch tomorrow. Hard cider a la carte

3 Likes

Leftover Hazan’s green lasagna that’s been languishing in the freezer. And a salad of arugula, slow roasted grape tomatoes, pepperoncinis, mozzarella and my favorite lemon-garlic vinaigrette.

4 Likes

Oh and avocado :slight_smile:

WFD: A. Orange-Glazed Pork Tenderloin. The tenderloin is seasoned, seared in olive oil, simmered in sherry and orange juice, onion, garlic, bay and thyme. Covered, then cooked stove-top, and served with reduced pan sauce. Easy peasy. This results in a tenderloin that is pink in the center but cooked through, tender, juicy, with great boozy orange flavor.

B. Baked potato with all the fixins’.
C. Last night’s delicious vegetable stir-fry produced plenty of leftovers to augment tonight’s meal.

3 Likes

Chicken in Chinese brown sauce with roasted butternut squash, beets and Brussel sprouts. For another meal, I intended to make som tum (green papaya salad), but since the market papayas were already starting to ripen, I used the som tum dressing on corn, black beans, long beans and tomatoes.

As the web is more of a visual medium (alas, no aromas or tastes), I find myself drawn to combinations of ingredients that are colorful. Any other posters influenced in that way?

7 Likes

That looks so good
Gorgeous colors in the chicken dish

Hey lookie! I cooked tonight! The Gorton’s fish sandwich with a remoulade and a tuna melt with sweet potato fries ain’t much cooking or much thought being put into cooking.

Tonight is a Trader Joe’s pork belly seared really well on all sides, and then into the oven with a glaze of apple butter, white wine, and Sriracha. Sides were Israeli couscous with toasted dried onion, and steamed green beans.

Ohhh, yes. There was wine. Most definitely. T’was all a major yum in my tum.

8 Likes

TJs has pork belly?!?!?!? Is it there with the fresh meats? Be still my heart :slight_smile:

Veal chop parm! Apps were Italian egg rolls and Cesare salad, my favorite Italian restaurant.

3 Likes

Your “not som tum” salad is gorgeous! Of course color matters for food!! More color=more delicious in my book

1 Like

Yeeesh. Another lonnnggg day.
I put together a savory yogurt bowl for dinner with greek yogurt, chopped green onion and cilantro, sliced cucumber and radishes, lots of black pepper, with a dribble of sesame oil and soy sauce.
Apparently i finished all my wine :cry:

1 Like

Nothing really to write about . Another rerun . Looking forward to this weekend to step it up . In a funk .

Whatttttt? No wine? That’s a crisis.

2 Likes

Thanks to a relatively warm evening, our drinking tour continued last night with a visit to our favorite beer garden, followed by inhaling a few focaccie at a nice Focacceria in the same hood.

We were draggin’ a bit today, but managed to scoot over to one of the local markets for a lunch of whole grilled mackerel
 after which we finally began to feel human again. Gah. No booze tonight :neutral_face:

I did pick up some fresh tagliatelle to make this NYT recipe I’d been eyeing on Fb for a while. Simple enough, sounds tasty and springy and fresh
 and will surely make us feel all virtuous n healthy n shit.

Happy weekend, HOs!

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to make that one also.

OT but I thought you worked as a translator while in Berlin. Yes?

I translate at home, too. It’s just one of my day jobs.

Ah, thanks. I’ve joined the WFD party late so don’t know as many back stories.

I normally wouldn’t even mention this meal but will in light of the “no time to cook” thread. A last minute dinner in was a sandwich on toasted sour rye with poached chicken, slow roasted grape tomatoes, avocado and arugula. So it was healthy enough, quick and super tasty.

1 Like

I hear this. I met a girlfriend after work last night for a rosĂ© tasting - there were 25 wines, and we tasted all of them (without spitting, because where’s the fun in that?). On a mostly empty stomach. I’ll be abstaining tonight, for sure!

2 Likes