What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

Last minute invite to join friends in koreatown- had a great fresh housemade tofu soondubu with lots of veggies. Nice spread of banchan that included those sesame marinated bean sprouts i love. Everyone else did the bbq your own at the table and i scored a few bites of grilled mushroom that were delicious.

2 Likes

Rose?

Starterā€¦to be decided. Mrs H will check out the deli counter at the supermarket and/or will see if thereā€™s British asparagus yet.

Main courseā€¦pork fillet (free range, Gloucester Old Spot), batted out into medallions. White wine sauce. Jersey Royal spuds, green beans

Dessertā€¦Chocolate pots - basically melted chocolate combined with equal quantities of double cream and a little milk. Bought biscotti for dunking.

3 Likes

Awe that Sucks! Hope you get it out asap!

Beautiful burger and sunset; yowch on the wallet/cash being locked away! Hopefully a locksmith can pop it for you before you travel. Actually, theyā€™ll have to do that so you can travel, right? Good luck!

My SIL is named Rose & lives in PH. Email me!

Oh yes, Iā€™m a long-time Rick Stein fan, probably since his very first PBS programs. The article I referred to came from BBC News in yesterdayā€™s online feed. I was fascinated by the writerā€™s reasoning which didnā€™t have anything to with Steinā€™s new program. Maybe it was subliminal?

Iceland from afar doesnā€™t seem like a hospitable place to live given its harsh ecological and economical environment, and endless darkness. Tremendous neighborhood and community support contributes to the security and happiness of the residents.

Dinner last night was nice, if overpriced. A hipster haven, farm-to-table mantra included. Oh, well. At least it wasnā€™t bad. Had a nicely dressed salad of spring greens, our friend a parsley root soup with rhubarb and buttermilk she really enjoyed, my man had beer for apps :smiley:

Mains were veal knuckle for him with assorted root veggies, I had rack of venison with assorted root veggies. Our friend spinach salad with strawberries, tilsiter and some other stuff I donā€™t remember. Good beer on tap.

Had a very late brunch of grilled whole mackerel and Frankonian beer at our favorite market today

where I also picked up asparagus & new potatoes for our dinner tomorrow. @Presunto will feel my pain: I thought I had a good deal getting 3 lbs for 10 ā‚¬ā€¦ only to be offered 2 kg for 9 ā‚¬ just a few stands over. GAAAAH! :rage:

Tonight will have to be on the cheap side ā€“ weā€™re only two weeks down and have 6 to go, including almost a whole week in Barcelona. So, itā€™ll probably be the Syrian place down the road followed by Netflix and chill '-D

8 Likes

Crisis averted. A new Vin key did the trick

7 Likes

Maybe itā€™s about small island nations. Icelandā€™s population is about 330k. Malta, which Iā€™ve visited, has about 400k but has a clear sense of community as you suggest for Iceland. Iā€™m always intrigued by Jersey and its population of less than 100k - part of what used to be known as the British Isles, but not part of Great Britain - itā€™s a very separate place.

1 Like

Steckerfisch but then without the Steckerl. Still nice.

Re asparagus, I always make a round then decide what and from whom I will be buying. After a few times we learn :persevere:

1 Like

Or endless ā€œlightness.ā€ :slight_smile: I was surprised to discover that the average low temp in December is only 30F, due to the Gulf Stream. And Iā€™ve already gotten some recs for great eating.

1 Like

WFD: ~ Chicken Parmagiano sub sandwiches, homemade.
~ Panko-crusted, mozzarella melted, oven fried bone-less chicken thighs.
~ Pan-roasted melty grape tomatoes with chopped Kalamatas for the sauce.
~ Simple tossed salad with a rustic red wine vinegar dressing.

That about takes care of our evening meal on this rather care-free, warm, and delightful Spring Saturday.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve gotten SO hooked on those!!! Iā€™ve made three pans in about two weeks. OO, s&p and thyme. Mmm.

Iā€™m grilling prime New York . Along with some Japanese eggplant that I will slice lengthwise and grill . I am going to let them cool and toss with capers and anchovy with oo and lemon . Sautee porcini goes with the steak, also canned Cannellinis beans with a little fresh rosemary . A bottle of red to drink .

3 Likes

Last night was an incredibly disappointing ribeye for two at Quality Meats in midtown NYC. We asked for it rare, and it came raw, ice cold in the center. This wouldnā€™t have been the end of the world if the meat itself had been good, but it was truly awful - flavorless and tough. We brought quite a bit of it home and Iā€™ll sear the slices to see if some extra cook time helps, but there is ZERO chance weā€™ll be going back there. Especially given that I have pounds and pounds of beautiful prime ribeyes in the freezer!

Mistakes like that shouldnā€™t happen in quality steakhouses. Itā€™s getting harder to be impressed with local restaurants when you can cook quality food at home

1 Like

I canā€™t think of the last time we got a steak in a restaurant. We can always do better.

3 Likes

Us too. This restaurant was a friendā€™s choice, so we couldnā€™t really get out of it, but I was extremely unimpressed.

1 Like

No way to get around that one.