What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

I might have asked before on this board but I am not sure but where did you get the holy basil ?

Potato and red/yellow pepper curry with ground cumin, coriander, cardamom, curry powder, garlic, almonds, vegetable broth and a little bit of heavy cream at the end - served over rice

8 Likes

The Salisbury steak to me is . ??? . I want to like it . . But I … It

2 Likes

I got a pack of frozen leaves from a local Asian grocery - Hiep-Thanh Market in San Francisco. I’ve also seen these frozen packs at another SF Asian grocery, New May Wah in the Richmond. You defrost by immersing it in water, and I used 3 cubes for this serving.

12 Likes

Me too. Just being transparent! :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah - I pay to read the NYT and extra for their food section. I respect and trust their reporting. I especially love reading comments from their readers. I also love the Guardian and the comments too. Brits have their own special wit. My sister in law is married to one. Takes some getting used too…

7 Likes

I love the comments. Often it is the best part of an article!

4 Likes

Very clever! My meatballs never come out evenly round and browned - a consternation.

As soon as I saw your photo, I regretted giving away my abelskiver pan several years ago. It would have been a grand solution.

3 Likes

Maybe? Either way, if it tastes bad to you that isn’t good. Blargh.

I have bought that TJ’s roasted corn to add oomph to dishes in the winter. I will try it again this fall and winter to see if something’s changed.

2 Likes

Eggplant roasted in tomato sauce and olive oil is one of my favorite combos with a chunky pasta shape. For protein, I added small cubes of fresh mozzarella that are hiding under that basil.

I’ll be roasting and grilling as much eggplant as I can get while the season lasts.

14 Likes

Glad you tried it, and glad you liked it! Even more glad to see the mashed potatoes and peas on the plate in their rightful place. :wink:

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, @retrospek . Your mantra is one we should all live by.

5 Likes

@retrospek, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. How greatly you have honored him by reminding us all of the above.

3 Likes

Very sorry about your friend.

1 Like

Adding my condolences as well, on the loss of your friend. May he RIP.

1 Like

So sorry for your loss. And excellent, timely reminder, thank you.

2 Likes

Sounds great - love the bathtub picture!

3 Likes

Acquired another big batch of chanterelles yesterday. Froze most, but some went into dinner. Pan-fried in (vegan) butter, then added yellow squash, and finally fresh basil and Cherokee purple and sungold tomatoes from the garden. Served over a risotto that was enriched with a truffle cashew cream.

20 Likes

Would you mind sharing for how long you roasted it, please.

1 Like

Brilliant! We were able to plant some from starts this summer - but this would be a great winter option.

1 Like