What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

I know! I bought it on so many positive reviews. Truly awful. Maybe it’s a bad batch?

Yikes! I bought a packet of their frozen esquites with some hope…

Best summery days are here! Dinner tonight was an all-timer for us this time of year:

Sourdough BLT’s with heirloom tomatoes and Red Sail lettuce from my garden
Local corn on the cob
Roasted beets also from the garden
PA Dutch-style cole slaw
august dinnah

17 Likes

Pad krapow gai - chicken stir fry with holy basil, with salad, rice, and a fried egg.

21 Likes

Oh, the good life, full of fun seems to be the ideal.

1 Like

Asian fusion, confusion? Vietnamese style meatballs with chili sauce, cilantro, mint, and peanuts over rice. Đồ chua and blistered Shishito peppers.

17 Likes

Stir-fried green beans and chicken from The Woks of Life. The recipe says it will serve four, but in reality it feeds two hungry bean pickers.

FYI I counted 195 green beans to the pound tonight.

20 Likes

Bookmarked this recipe - I think we’d love this. Thanks !

1 Like

Thai green curry with chicken for dinner tonight, homemade by a friend. Other ingredients were what was at hand - king oyster mushrooms, sweet potato, and bok choy.

Funnily I had Thai last night too, but different — pad see euw and short rib massaman curry. The food pics turned out awfully.

Earlier today I did a bit of cooking myself. Dhokla (khaman, using gram flour) / steamed lentil cake for my post-surgery friend and his caregivers.

I finally got around to using the packet of ground chicken I bought, didn’t use so froze, defrosted, and almost didn’t use again… Turned into ginger-scallion meatballs to go into coconut broth, and japanese-style meatballs (tsukune) to be basted with tare sauce. Meals for other days.

19 Likes

Well, here’s a meatloaf four years in the making. We’ve been together that long, and Justin has been begging me to let him make his meatloaf. But I’ve never been a fan of such an item. Ever. Last week, he made a mini for himself. I thought it smelled great and said yes, finally, I will try your meatloaf. Tonight was the night. It was actually amazing. While I did not inquire about the recipe, I noticed the loads of butter packed into the top. It was then finished with a BBQ-based glaze. The flavor was unbelievable. I can’t believe I’ve been missing out all this time. While I still feel that such a meal is best suited for winter, tonight it did not matter. Wow. I contributed the peas and horseradish cheddar mashed potatoes, no big deal in comparison.

To drink: an Almond Martini. Yeah. So I have a bottle of this Portuguese almond liqueur Amarguinha I’ve only had as an after-dinner cordial over the years at restaurants. I found it at a liquor store out of my area recently. I bought it not quite remembering that I don’t usually do sweet drinks. So I found a recipe for a martini with vodka, almond liqueur, and dry vermouth. It was ok. The vermouth balanced out the sweetness but in the end I wished it was sweeter. Far from offensive. Just meh. This stuff belongs as a cordial.

22 Likes

I love this recipe so much!

1 Like

I accidentally added the dark soy to the bowl with the chicken, and not to the sauce. It gave a beautiful color to the meat when it seared. I think I’ll do it that way from now on. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

An hour round trip for a pie? Will you be my friend? I live at…I’ll PM you. We don’t have delivery out here…

1 Like

We live on outer Cape Cod. If you and your partner and your Mother want to vacation in Provincetown I would be happy to meet you and give you a place to stay. You are such an interesting man. We lost a very good friend two days ago to a sudden massive heart attack. I can’t believe I’ll never hug him again. Make. noise, live large, be yourself - our time on this planet is finite. My invitation is genuine.

9 Likes

@gcaggiano for some reason I sent my response to myself. I hope you see it.

1 Like

Is that an abelskiver pan?

I did see your post! Thank you for the invite and my condolences on the loss of your friend. The one thing I’ve learned these last few years with various family members and friends passing away is that you really never know day by day what is going to happen. It makes you cherish being “in the moment”. And we should remind ourselves of such finite time as you put it.

If we ever make it to P-town, I just might take you up on that offer. And I’ll be sure to bring that pie from Milano’s in humble Perth Amboy NJ.

2 Likes

Similar - a South Indian paniyaram / appe pan!

2 Likes

@gcaggiano i had heard and read so many awful meatloaf stories that I was actually afraid the first time it was served to me (by my aunt, whose cooking I trusted)— but luckily for me, as for you, it was absolutely delicious!

2 Likes

I can’t explain my aversion. While I’ve cut down on red meat consumption in general, I love a steak but could take or leave burgers. BF is opposite: he LOVES burgers (and meatloaf, apparently) but can’t really do whole pieces of flesh. I think I mentioned this before, but he briefly worked for a butcher and that was it for him. In the rare instance he eats a steak, it must be cooked to hockey puck form.

A meatloaf or Salisbury Steak is a fancy breadless burger (to me). But after tonight, a slight change of opinion.

I grew up with a health conscious mom making meatloaf with ground turkey and use of salt being a forgotten memory. She was/is a great cook overall, but the meatloaf scars me! Never understood it because she makes a mean Pastitsio with ground beef and loaded with salt and fat.

6 Likes