What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

They got their dinner :smile:
They never fail to get food and treats, but they still have to stare intensely at us each mealtime.

5 Likes

It usually does. I sprinkled some other spices (IIRC toasted cumin, red chilli powder, sumac instead of amchoor, black salt) instead. The main ingredients (chana, paneer, vegetables) were spiced quite simply, so chaat masala would definitely have worked here.

(There was paneer cubes in the dish too. Edit window on original post has lapsed.)

2 Likes

Last night I made mapo tofu (again) with ground pork, mushrooms, celery, and lots of chilies. My stomach was grumpy this morning but #worthit. With Mala cumin-sesame asparagus and steamed rice, and Taiwanese scallion pancake.

19 Likes

What do you think of this book? I love the pictures and their narrative but I haven’t actually cooked that much from it. Any recommendations?

Tonkatsu, cauli rice with egg, green onion and furikake. Red cabbage slaw, carrot, snap peas, daikon, rice vinegar, oo, red curry paste dressing.

16 Likes

Pan-roasted Kurobuta pork chops. McCain frozen fries (inspired by the French fry thread). Garden greens in vinaigrette. Homemade apple and cherry sauces.

21 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Look what I came home to! BF made bulgogi with all the fixings. My kimchi, store-bought pickled ginger & furikake, but the rest was all him. All so good.

26 Likes

Another taco recipe from Guerrilla Tacos, shrimp and chorizo tacos, but with store brought tomatillo salsa. Easy and good.

21 Likes

I’ve only made the sweet potato tacos and the shrimp and chorizo tacos so far, and they were both good. I liked the narrative too, actually read through the whole thing.

4 Likes

I liked last night’s shrimp and asparagus stir fry with black bean sauce so much that I replicated the dish tonight, but with chicken and zucchini. The habaneros used tonight were not as spicy but still delicious.

20 Likes

Great book - everything we tried so far was outstanding. If I remember correctly we had cauliflower tacos, chicken adobo taco, chicken taco, wild boar taco

2 Likes

Fusili with asparagus and a sauce made of of chèvre, olive oil, lemon zest and tarragon

18 Likes

Met up with a buddy from Gainesville at our favorite beer garden for a few brews last night, then hit up a new Georgian place upon his request in the bougiest / most touristy area in our hood. Place was hopping, but we managed to snag a table outside fairly quickly. Communication with the wait staff was …. weird. Our Georgian waiter seemed to insist on speaking English with us, despite our consistently replying in German.

Anywhos. We split the eggplant rolls with walnut sauce (good, but the version I made years ago for a cookout was much better, if a major PITA & gone in mere seconds), the “assorti” plate with stuffed grape leaves, very good pickled cukes, very good shredded chicken salad, boring (to me, the other two loved it) fried polenta, some eggplant salad that was also very good, and a skrompshiss walnut paste.

The main events were khachapuris, although the skewers of grilled meats brought to the neighboring tables created some serial food envy for me.

Our buddy got the lamb khachapuri, we got the traditional egg & cheese open-faced khachapuri. Mixed up the egg yolk into the cheese before I took the pic. And boy, was there cheese!

The wine recommendation was just ok. We like orange wines, but this had an odd, piney flavor reminiscent of retsina. The second bottle, another Rkatsiteli, was slightly better, but also not great.

19 Likes

Thank you! Your tacos look delicious.

1 Like

Thank you. I will add these to my list of things to try.

Your tacos look beautiful.

Question: I think of tacos as food to be eaten by hand -fold the tacos with filling and bite. Your filling looked very generous and would fall out if folded and bitten. How do you eat your tacos?

With napkins available :yum: .These were kind of juicy too.

4 Likes

Well, it obviously works, so why give up a good thing? :wink:

5 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a salmon ramen bowl made with vegetable stock seasoned with garlic, ginger and scallions. The salmon steak was cooking in the oven while the stock was simmering and the udon noodles were boiling. Bok choy was added to the broth during the last couple of minutes of simmering. At serving time I placed the noodles at the bottom of a bowl, added the broth, then added the steamed bok choy, a Thai bird’s eye chili, some bean sprouts for crunch then a salmon steak. The recipe calls for using a salmon fillet however there were no small fillets available at the store I went to so a salmon steak it is.

19 Likes