What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Used up some of the leftover lamb tonight by skewering chunks and slathering them with the cobjini paste from the Amá cookbook I had in the freezer. The paste contains guajillos, onion, garlic, cumin, dried hoja santa leaves, olive oil, salt, and water. Then they went on the grill to caramelize a bit. We had them with flour tortillas that also were toasted on the grill and some pico de gallo. The book’s author recommends the cobjini for chicken, but I liked it better on the lamb; it stands up to the intense flavor better. This will be a repeat at some point!

20 Likes

One of my favourite cream soup! Great source of anti-oxident!
With the help of a good blender, this is such an easy soup to make. I love to alternate the recipe with Asparagus and Green peas. All three ingredients from one stop shopping at local Costco! :yum: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

" Stewed Spaghetti with ox-tongue, mushrooms and mixed diced veggie in a tomato cream sauce "
This ’ Hong Kong cafe style dish is one of my favourite ’ fusion ’ pasta meal. Hearty, filling and appetizing.
Uncommon amongst western palate featuring seldom used preparation technique for pasta and rarely come-across

ingredient.

13 Likes

How did you prepare the tongue - sous vide ?

Do you mean that tongue isn’t popular in the Western hemisphere? If so, have to disagree. Even Sam’s Club sells it. Big in Mexican cuisine, among others. Tongue is definitely popular in America if not well known.

2 Likes

BF made Chef John’s recipe for drunken noodles in the wok tonight at my request, using already cooked chicken we had in the freezer. Super homey, comfort food, spicy and delish. Loved the slippery noodle mouthfeel - we used pad thai noodles as that’s what was available near us.

Also, a tiny cuke and butter lettuce salad with a Mae Ploy dressing.

24 Likes

Tongue is not easy to find in Ontario, Canada. Both Charles and I are based in Ontario. A few taquerias in Toronto (and London, Ontario) serve it, a few Jewish delis in Toronto serve it. Some Chinese restaurants in the Burbs serve it if they have the client base that appreciates it.

I grew up with it Mexican-style, braised in a tomato salsa, but I can’t remember the last time I saw tongue at a regular mainstream grocery store.

Sam’s Club left Canada around a decade ago. I’ve never seen organ meats or tongue at a Canadian Costco. Our Canadian Costcos don’t tend to the same varied meat and seafood selection (certainly no fresh organic or sustainable seafood like what’s available at Northern Californian Costcos) that Costcos in the States have. (That said, I stopped shopping at Costco maybe 7 years ago, after shopping there for a decade. )

3 Likes

Interesting! This is good context, thanks. Tongue was easy to find at Latin markets and even regular grocery stores when I lived in D.C., we had it at an Austrian restaurant I worked at, and yep, the odd place serving Jewish food. It’s popular for tacos here in Asheville (along with cabeza/cheek/head) and very tasty! The pasta dish looks pretty good as well.

1 Like

Dinner with family was on, then off, then partially on again. No biggie, as the menu was pan pizza either way. Just a question of how much to make.

Decided on a half-and-half in a Detroit pan: Italian sausage with roasted peppers, mushrooms and onions on the one half, and artichoke, black olive and asparagus on the other.

Served with some garden greens in vinaigrette. A Columbia Valley merlot to go with.

24 Likes

In much better spirits tonight. The garden isn’t quite finished yet, but our back patio is officially open!

Drinks and snacks outside, shrimp fajitas inside.

26 Likes

Kuwait is hot AF. 100+ degree days and melty-hot at night still. And my frozen fishmonger got in some fresh French oysters this past weekend. So, I had him deliver some to the casa. And I had some sushi quality frozen yellowtail on hand already. So, dinner tonight was oysters on the half shell with champagne mignonette and poke tuna on jicama and seaweed laver baby sheets. I served the tuna on jicama with guac and just ate the poke directly with nothing else on the laver.

I used the poke shoyu recipe from Sheldon Simeon’s Real Hawaii and the champagne mignonette was a Martha Stewart’s. I washed it down with a delicious tequila old-fashioned.

20 Likes

Gimlets? Martinis?

1 Like

How charming, a haven of peace and tranquillity, and cocktails. Is that a clematis I spy?

2 Likes

Sausage meatballs, mini penne, broccoli in a creamy mustard sauce. Parm and purple basil. Garlic baguette, salad of mixed greens, cuke, tomato, red onion, balsamic, maple dressing.

24 Likes

Vietnamese style broiled pork with rice, fried egg, fried scallion, cucumber, tomato, and nuoc cham.

21 Likes

Stoli Vodka Martini and an Elderflower Gimlet!

3 Likes

Wow, most plump mussels I have ever seen, totally making me drool :yum::yum::yum:

3 Likes

No idea! We buy what looks nice and rely on the little cards telling us how much sun they need. :rofl:

Funny, my mom works at a public garden/horticultural center but I did not inherit that knowledge!

2 Likes

I know my booze I guess :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Soft pillowy meat raviolis bathed in butter and a proverbial ton of 24 month aged parmesan. Green peas with shallots and butter . This was a dish that I had to say wow. Cheers .
Uploading: PXL_20220511_041327226.jpg…

25 Likes