What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

A fat, resounding WOW on those BAO!

5 Likes

Thanks, I found that too but I can’t get the page to load. I guess because it’s not part of the preview.

Oh, that’s too bad. I can’t find it anywhere else. And recipe loads completely for me.

1 Like

Baked whole flounder, before and after I chainsaw-massacred it. Watercress & spinach soup.

IMG_2421

IMG_2424

19 Likes

All three pictures of this are seriously GORGEOUS! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you!

Chicken tortellini soup!!

19 Likes

Thank you! My next “wondering” is why my dough was sort of yellowish (i.e. dough colored) when dim sum restaurants always turn out snow white steamed bao. None of my ingredients were yellow going in. Water, flour, yeast, sugar, little oil, salt, baking soda, cornstarch. Some type of chemical reaction between the ingredients I’d guess.

You’re too young to be working that hard. Oh wait, only the youngsters have the energy to work that hard! I recall my days as a youngster in a lawfirm. Their general motto is wring you out then watch you look for a better place as they laugh. But seriously - what do you do for a living? It’s supposedly an employee’s market out there. Perhaps time for a switch to a place with a bit more life-work balance?

2 Likes

Could be the baking soda – alkaline reactions with flour can lead to yellowing (eg in ramen where, iirc, yellowing comes from potassium hydroxide in the dough). Hard to say though.

(post deleted by author)

Trusting that you and your family are on your way to recovery or recovered by now, @ChristinaM .
I am wondering if you can share how you doctored up your Good Seasons dressing.

1 Like

Creamy mushroom soup loosely based off the bread + oil method that Kenji popularized a long time ago. I’ve been using it ever since.

Croutons are made from leftover bread from our Mother’s Day dinner.

21 Likes

Yep, we are all mostly well it seems. Thanks :grin: I add red pepper flake, dried oregano, ground black pepper, and grated Parm/Romano (green can). It gives it a bit more kick. I also use red wine vinegar.

3 Likes

Screenshot and PM to me? :grin::wink::crossed_fingers:t2::pray:t2:

That looks like spring on a plate!

1 Like

I have two jobs, well technically three: 1) part time college lecturer, 2) independent historian/lecturer where I’m a guest speaker at, say, libraries, historical societies, etc; I also do writing/social media consultant work, and 3) a job in the food service industry.

Obviously I love 1 and 2. It’s what keeps me going but not enough to live off of. 3 is good money and health insurance, but we are so short staffed. We have a good crew but until we hire more, it’s been hell. Everyone is borderline defeated.

14 Likes

So sorry to hear that! I guess with 3 jobs, finding a work life balance is hard. Hopefully it gets better for you soon!

4 Likes

I made lightened-up mapo tofu with ground chicken and less oil. Served over cauli-jasmine rice with sesame garden spinach on the side. Turned out well - one of my favorites.

17 Likes

This week’s Asian themed dinners continues. Tonight I had spaghettini with bok choy, edamame, cherry tomatoes and yellow pepper strips. Tha sauce included garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil.

19 Likes