What's for Dinner #8 - 4/2016. The April Flowers Edition

Couple of fried eggs with leftover tri tip and toast . No veggies tonight .I’m beat .

1 Like

Saved! But I’m thinking about leaving out the yogurt. Not a huge fan of. Would it detract terribly in your opinion?

Not at all, the veggie combo is great as is. As a dinner salad maybe add in some cubed fresh mozzarella or other soft mild cheese just to make it more filling and add that creamy sumpthin’
I’ll certainly make it again

1 Like

catching up here again! lessee… Saturday night was a lovely Portuguese dinner party I instigated at a friends’. Tried my hand at bacalhau - first time - croquetas, and they turned out great. i was intimidated for nothing. also some charred chourico, Porco a Alentejana (pork with clams in homemade red pepper paste), and piri piri shrimp. Friends contributed a sopa de albondigas, a butternut squash soup, paprika roasted potatoes, and a pulled beef dish with olives and lemon zest (the latter 3 also of Portuguese provenance). 'Twas all wonderful, accompanied by my favorite Spanish cocktail - Vermut! simply a sweetish vermouth with a slice of orange and anchovy-stuffed olives. various amontillados, finos and olorosos were quaffed, plus my prized bottle of Port that i toted all the way from Portugal earlier this year - the whole reason for the party to begin with!

Sunday i made a real homey Spanish dish, also the first time, Patatas a lo Pobre (Poorman’s Potatoes) which are essentially just potatoes poached in olive oil with garlic, onion and bell pepper. Wonderful, so much better than you would imagine. I added Spanish chorizo to the dish because the BF, and a quail egg for fun. alongside i roasted green beans in chicken stock, whole garlic, sliced shallots, oregano, and a splash of Jerez sherry vinegar. Deliciously sweet. i also marinated some “flanken-style ribs” which were not at all that, but some other tougher cut of meat, in lemongrass, scallions, rice wine vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, etc.

Last night i was out with a friend - Indian food - super good, carb-heavy, yum. All veggie.

Tonight, we were going to eat the marinated “flanken” steak, but then the BF decided to heat a frozen lasagna that i’d bought over the weekend from a beloved 90+ year old Italian deli (Genova) that is closing this week. Sucker took FOREVAH to heat through, STILL cold when we were ready to eat, so we had the steak instead and let the lasagna continue baking. The BF will get first crack at the lasagna while I’m out tomorrow night for happy hour. I’m hoping he saves me a teeny piece, just so i get to taste it! Not feeling super hopeful…

8 Likes

that is gorgeous!

HOLEE YUM.
are you kidding me? “body is invalid, try to be a little more descriptive”???

1 Like

Mr. H - wonderful news!

as posted below, i just made my first bacalhau - same thing-ish - mashed potatoes, eggs, parsley, and the feesh! i have another piece of dried bacalhau just hanging out - i’m dying to make brandade de morue…

Dammmmn! Hope your friends were appreciative, 'cause I know I would be! Are the croquetas your riff on bolinhos de bacalhau? But regardless, they are addictive and go especially well with a Vinho Verde or beer.

From the 7 tours of port lodges I learnt that most of the good port remains in Portugal. All the more the reason for my return(s)!

@Naf, what a beautiful leg!

2 Likes

Shepherd’s pie - actually the defrosted brown gloop leftovers from a roast lamb dinner some weeks back, with potato topping. Roast carrots to accompany.

Recently when in Seattle we had ‘shrimp balls’ that were described as shrimp and bechamel balls rolled in panko and fried. I was going to do that but the shrimp seemed too wet after FPing them so I added an egg white, skipped the bechamel, rolled in panko and fried in canola. They were terrific and super easy. We need a bit of a nibble with some friends on Sat. before going out. I think this will be it. The pea dish was disappointing and I can’t figure out why. Lemon-minted with toasted bread crumbs. Should have been better. Oh well.

1 Like

WFD: ~ Pan-Roasted Spicy Chicken Sausages. Ghee, crushed garlic. Cast iron skillet.

~ Stir-Fried Mixed Vegetables. Peanut oil, garlic, ginger, RPF, scallions, sugar snap peas, broccoli, baby corn, green beans, water chestnuts, red bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, Bragg’s aminos, Chinese rice wine, chopped cilantro.
~ Brown Basmati Rice steamed in chicken broth.

Much needed Simples tonight. Calling it, “Better Than Take Out”.

4 Likes

Translated from german it literally means “Onion cake”, with grated Comté and Speck. Burnt on one side but there was no damage under the burnt area. One side of my convection oven is hotter than the other. Should have made a photo of a slice but we already started eating.

Supposed to use a shallow baking tray but I don’t have a small one.

2 Likes

Wegmans had kosher glatt lamb shoulder chops on special, so I grabbed a couple to be grilled tonight.

My man’s just marinated them with oo, rosemary, thyme, oregano, s&p and fresh chopped up garlic & onions.

Side will likely be green beans that have been lingering in our fridge for a while – steamed in the MW, then tossed with butter, garlic and onions. Bit of a one-note meal, but a note we like :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love me some lamb!! Send me the leftovers please!!! Just out of curiosity what do you like to accompany your lamb, any sauce, jelly etc? I have to admit I’m a sucker for mint jelly, even though you really don’t find it served very often anymore, other than that it’s dijon mustard for me.

Nah, we have 'em naked – that’s what the marinade is for, after all.

1 Like

Simple is good.

1 Like

Cacio y pepe - of sorts. Got home late, so just looked at the leftovers in the fridge. Spaghetti, rice, and some cooked broccoli and some cooked green beans.

Grabbed the spaghetti, heated it up in some hot water, and then drained it. Into a bowl, added some butter, heavy cream, a healthy grind of pepper, and grated Parm-Reg. Into the microwave, heated it up, and it was dinner. Easy enough.

2 Likes

Pasta made with Lidia’s Garden sauce . I grabbed the wrong one . I wanted to try the basil ( my first jarred pasta sauce ) 1/2 # pork !/2 # GB browned with some red onion . I nice loaf from Companion bakery . We have plenty of great bakeries in Santa Cruz , but this one has been blowing the others away for their breads .

I made some tasty ground chicken burgers-

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/04/bbq-chicken-burgers/#_a5y_p=1159322

I would make them again!

1 Like