What's for Dinner #8 - 4/2016. The April Flowers Edition

Mrs H is having haddock fishcakes and, no doubt, some suitably boring accompaniment (probably last nigth’s leftover salad).

Meanwhile, I’ll be having a pork chop (free range, Gloucester Old Spot). Mushrooms to accompany - fried in butter & garlic, big dollop of creme fraiche stirred through. Dollop of English mustard won’t go amiss.

Red Leicester & apple for afters.

Not exactly celebratory food, although it will be a celebratory meal…email this morning from the publishers saying they’re taking my latest book. Just need to finish writing the bloody thing. Expect it out in the UK around 6/17.

9 Likes

Congratulations!

Well done, sir! My man’s still shopping publishers for his new one :neutral_face:

I love (shell)fish but baking it in salt is something I have never tried before. Don’t know why.

LindaW and Naf, I couldn’t make the pleats and leave a hole in the middle of them like how steamed buns are made. I ended up pinching the top and making a twist. Need to look at some vids to see how exactly that pleating is achieved.

Congrats to Harters!

Well done Harters!

It was my first try! Actually it was quite tasty and quick to do.[quote=“Presunto, post:464, topic:4328”]
couldn’t make the pleats and leave a hole in the middle of them like how steamed buns are made
[/quote]

I guess practice make perfect. The taste counts first!

3 Likes

If you want a more contemporary riff (a la Momofuku) here’s a different sort of bao. I’m pretty averse to steamed (and even baked) bao but I had something similar at Momofuku and it was terrific.

Actually here’s his recipe:

1 Like

Congratulations, John!

WFD: ~ CSF Share is Redfish from the F/V Aaron & Melissa. Baked Redfish Parmigiano. Panko, Pinenton de le Vera, Parmigiano, dried basil, melted ghee. After a brush of ghee, and a dredge in the dry mix, fillets are baked for about 10 min in a 500F oven.

~ Pan-Roasted Asparagus. A little water and ghee, covered, stovetop till JUST tender, a few min, but not al dente, S & P. Then uncovered to evaporate any remaining liquid.

~ Was planning to make a Barley and Mushroom Pilaf that we love, but there is a ton of L/O Linguine Puttanesca (G cooked a whole pound of pasta this week.) So I’ll let him decide whether it will be pilaf or L/Os.

1 Like

I was too lazy to make a salad after my shift. Leftover yuvetsi it was, albeit a more reasonable (=smaller) portion than the previous night. Was tough, tho.

There’s still more of that left, so my man’s set for tonight. I’ll prep a simple vinaigrette for that goddamn salad tonight after work. So exciting!!! :neutral_face:

THESE I love… thanks for the recipes. I never tried Monofuku ones…although they start this bao trend. I saw the restaurant Mathias Dahlgren - Matsalen’s menu in Stockholm, making baos too,

Because of their shape/form the inside isn’t doughy which is what I’ve never like about them. Those were so good.

We had a starred meat feast tonight, at home! A beautiful 1.8 kg lamb leg, cooked to perfection, bought from Allaiton - the supplier of Michel Bras.
The carnivore at home was more than thrilled! Delicious indeed!

7 Likes

Smothered double cut bone in pork chops! Smothered in a homemade Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, topped with pepper jack cheese. Side of canned BBQ beans.

2 Likes

Ohhhh myyyy…I’m in love!

How exciting!! Congratulations!

More Rick Bayless tonight. Salmon in a tomatillo tahini sauce. Surprisingly delicious. I improvised a red chile roasted cauliflower for a side. We ate all of the salmon but there’s plenty of sauce left for another use - would be excellent with shrimp or even chicken, I think.

I just ran into the market for garbage bags and got distracted by some gorgeous asparagus!! A fabulous surprise since what i have seen so far this season is either lackluster or painfully expen$ive.
I realized eating a pound of asparagus as a meal would be delicious yet probably leave me with a tummy ache, so i was that obnoxious person standing to the side looking up recipes on my phone.
Came across this one with lots of fresh herbs and some chickpeas. I even already had cilantro and parsley. I left out the mint because I don’t usually like it in savory dishes, and instead of using frozen corn i swapped in some rough chopped sugar snap peas. Made a great salad-ish dinner that was very “spring” and quite pretty, loved the spiced yogurt on it too

4 Likes

Day off today - electrician was here to install a couple of lights…the bOOb lights are finally gone in the dining room and hallway and replaced with MUCH better lights! :::Happy Happy Dance::::

I didn’t get the over-the-kitchen-sink light done for various reasons (mostly because I decided it wasn’t right - back to shopping for something completely different).

Then up to Mom’s to take her to a medical appt., then home. I’m slowly trying to work through what’s in the upstairs fridge freezer, so I pulled out some roasted corn ravioli I made at some time or another (don’t ask me what’s inside; I haven’t the foggiest idea - other than roasted corn). For the sauce, I mixed up a couple of Tbsp. of caramelized onions with Madeira and heated until the wine was almost gone; then added salt, pepper, heavy cream, and a handful of grated Parm-Reg.

Ravs, caramelized onion sauce, additional grated Parm-Reg, and a couple of Tbsp. of corn on top. Some of the ravs fell apart in their boiling, but enough were left for a decent dinner. No picture, because it was a beige-on-beige-on-beige meal.

3 Likes

Wonderful news, Harters! Congratulations!