What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Hello @Olunia ! I enjoy reading yours, as well! Nice to see you, too!

2 Likes

I’m so inspired by you all. I always try to gain traction on the dinner/cooking threads and never seem to. Here’s an unattractive looking dinner, braised greens with beans (a NYT recipe) being cooked in real time. It tastes delicious, though and it’s something I make often. I added TJ’s soy Italian sausage and used red kale as the green.

As soon as B gets home from work, I will dish it out in shallow bowls and serve it with store-bought olive bread.

Edited to add: Because many of the new HOs may not know me (although I was a hound since the early 2000s), I cook for 2 adults and 1 picky 7-year old Spring Onion (as I refer to him) and we’re in Greater Boston. SO is getting a hot dog tonight with - I must say - an expertly griddled bun. I have disliked hot dogs since the first time I tried one as a Spring Onion myself. But I make a mean hot dog bun.

25 Likes

I love that NYT recipe for braised beans - we had it for dinner last night.

Ready in 20 minutes with no special ingredients, I’ve been tempted to post it on the “Office Day Dinner” thread.

8 Likes

Happy St Paddy’s!

Corned beef with cabbage, Irish lemon surprise pudding

24 Likes

When Purim falls on St Patrick’s Day or when St Patrick’s Day falls on Purim. Mini corned beef and cabbage Hamantaschen and full size lime ones.

31 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was sauteed bell peppers with fresh garlic and basil served over fettucine.

23 Likes

We did lamb burgers tonight. I took inspiration when putting them together from the ones that were served at The Breslin (feta, cumin spiked mayo) and the hamburger, served “messy”, at Toro (Boston). So, what ended up on the plate were grilled 8 oz. lamb patties (yes, I did nail medium rare!). I made a toasted cumin and black pepper mayo that I crumbled quite a lot of good quality feta into. That went on the bottom bun. The burger was topped with a roasted tomato and garlic jam, along with some scallion greens. I meant to make some pickled shallots, but ran out of time before dinner. The acid component on the plate were some roasted green beans tossed with a mustard vinaigrette. Delicious, but definitely messy, as promised!

26 Likes

Is this the recipe? Yours look fantastic!

3 Likes

I must have been subconsciously under the influence of your post, which I even “forked.” I’ve been a bit “not with it” lately due to work stress.

2 Likes

It’s been a week and a day with a boatload of HR stuff to deal with. Last night was spaghetti with a cup of defrosted meat sauce pulled from the freezer and lots of Parm-Reg.

Tonight I was too exhausted by the time I got home to be able to make much more than soft-scrambled eggs with cream cheese, s/p, and minced green onion, and a toasted and buttered English muffin.

I’ll cook tomorrow, said Scarlett.

17 Likes

Yeah, I caved. BF loves this stuff. But this was a really lean cut of CB - tasty but super firm and almost no fat. I didn’t even finish mine. I REALLY only like the fatty cuts. This was called Bottom Round on the package, which is not even part of the brisket. Will have to look for a nice point cut next time.

BF saved the day with his PSTOB* mashed potato lake. Cabbage with the same pickling spices as the CB and roasted carrot tots were good too.

*for our many newbies here, TPSTOB or PSTOB = The Proverbial Shit-Ton of Butter. Use it freely but wisely. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

25 Likes

No time for a photo op as I was short order cooking 4 plates and trying to keep the eggs runny. We did enfrijoladas. Corn tortillas dipped and warmed in refried pinto beans. Two runny eggs on top. And a tomato/sweet onion/avo/lime chunky “salsa.” A great and inexpensive vegetarian midweek dinner.

16 Likes

I love eggs for Supper its quick, tasty and so very satisfying.

3 Likes

We celebrated St. Patrick’s day last weekend with a pub crawl and excellent fish and chips in Pearl River, NY, a small town in Rockland County with a huge Irish population - there were at least 10 Irish pubs in a two block stretch of downtown, plus a cute gift shop with all sorts of Irish specialty foods. However, I still made Cottage Pie for dinner tonight, with Guinness-based gravy and Irish cheddar-cauliflower topping. Because why not? :grin::shamrock::shamrock::shamrock::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

15 Likes

That butter lake is the best thing I’ve seen all day. When you measure individual servings in half sticks rather than pats, you know you’re doing something right.

7 Likes

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. The usual suspects. Corned beef, red potatoes, carrots and Brussels sprouts. Warm seeded sourdough roll. I was going to say tpstob on everything, but @mariacarmen’s bf put me to shame. There was beer.

21 Likes

Free-styled a black bean and sweet potato chili tonight, heavy on chipotle, paprika, and lime seasonings, with lots of toppings:

I was feeling that I’d let the household down (I’m half Irish and hub’s Ancestry.com test revealed he’s 70% Irish) by not making the classic corned beef and cabbage for tonight until I read this joke:

ec078434417cb880fb80e5237b1b78fee25c8e1b1771ebdac054f0f9885fe79a

Sláinte to all – I have really enjoyed being a new HO member so far! :four_leaf_clover:

25 Likes

St. Paddy Melt.

Wagyu patties on homemade ciabatta with Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, and homemade 1000 Island dressing. Garden pickles and baby greens in vinaigrette.

22 Likes

The only Guinness* consumed tonight was in this beef stew which took a little longer than three hours to make. Worth every second. The meat was fall-apart tender and the broth was rich and velvety. Served over mashed potatoes with the proverbial “shit ton” of Kerrygold butter (I also added sour cream and chive). But is it more than TPSTOB? We need an official judge. On the side was mom’s Irish Soda Bread.

To drink was plenty of Proper 12 Irish Whiskey for me, a martini or two for BF, and an Irish Manhattan for mom. Slainte!

Dessert, not pictured, was Guinness chocolate brownies baked by mom. An old family favorite.

I am decidedly not a fan of Guinness for drinking but love to cook with it.

27 Likes

Cottage Pie with a cheddar cauliflower topping sounds amazing.

4 Likes