What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Thai Massaman curry scallops with eggplant, mushrooms and peas. Others in the family had salmon or halibut instead of or in addition to the scallops, based on preference, with brown rice, and roasted broccoli and sweet potato planks for the others. No one else in my house eats eggplant, mushrooms or peas, but I love them, especially in some dishes. I seasoned the seafood and brushed with curry paste before oven roasting (fish) or pan searing (scallops). Veggies were all oven roasted except for the peas. Portions assembled as per preferences and sauced with the Masaman curry. Forgot to top with Thai basil, which I actually had on hand. Delicious nevertheless. Typically I simmer whatever veggies in my thai curry, but the pre-roasting gave them a nice flavor and substantial texture, and made it easier to mix and match ingredients per person without too much effort. everyone approved (vs. the overly dramatic complaining that occurs when an errant pea or mushroom makes it onto a plate despite my best efforts to carefully portion when ingredients are simmered altogether).

20 Likes

Yikes on the burn!

1 Like

Gotta say, loving all the new additions to our little table here… :heart:

6 Likes

It looks to me as though you have done that.

4 Likes

The forum interface told me I couldn’t because I was “new”! But, hopefully going forward it will be fine. Thanks!

I use it (in the form of dashi/dashida) in much of my cooking, Asian or otherwise. Definitely adds a je ne sais quoi!

4 Likes

Looks good. Did you make your own flat bread or did you buy it? Thanks!

1 Like

We’ve all been there. The cold water definitely helps!

2 Likes

Ahhh, I’ve done that by taking a skillet out of the oven (that had originally been on the stovetop) without a mitt. That was a blistery day. Now I shove the oven mitt in the oven door handle to remind me to USE THE DAMN MITT! Hope your burns are doing better today.

5 Likes

I can almost see/hear the back of the hand up on the foreheads of those who were aggrieved. :wink: Your dinner looks wonderful, especially with the peas and mushrooms!

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to use up random things I have on hand. Last night I ended up with with baked shrimp with tomatoes, feta, olives, and dill. It was ok taste-wise but I did empty out 4 containers that were taking up space in the fridge/freezer.

19 Likes

My kind of pizza. Yum. Feast for the eyes too.

Happy St. Pats, all! Time to start the festivities.

3 Likes

:shamrock:Happy st. Patrick’s Day!:four_leaf_clover:

@MsBean sometimes those are the most rewarding meals.
My boys often ask if can we have it again.
Then I have fun trying to remember how to recreate the meal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, not pizza this time though pizza is my usual Sunday night use up go-to meal. I usually take plated pictures but I was in a rush and left everything in the pan.

I know what you mean! I once had to search HO for a use up meal I posted when The Sprout (my 25 y/o daughter) asked for it again and I had no idea what I did!!

3 Likes

That looks so good I’m literally salivating. And putting jambalaya on my meal plan for next week!

1 Like

Suya-Spiced pan roasted pork, Basmati Rice and leftover Manchego salad.

18 Likes

thanks!

@Amandarama,
Nice to see you here. I always enjoy reading your WFD reports.
So inviting makes me feel like I’m sitting at the table with you.

2 Likes