What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Well done! I just bought a bottle of capers and was reading about what’s out there. Yum.

5 Likes

@pilgrim - what kind of crust on your beautiful pot pie?

Really nice looking meal & yeah those puris are a thing of beauty!

1 Like

If you have leftover capers, you might enjoy them in tuna or smoked salmon salad, potato salad, pasta sauce (puttanesca or something similarly tomato-ey), and picadillo.

I particularly like a combo of capers and olives, so sometimes I buy a jar of alcaparrado (pitted olive type) to use in all the ways I mention. Goya brand is nice and likely to be available in a local supermarket.

You’ll probably think of more options if you decide you like having capers around.

6 Likes

I started keeping capers on hand 2 years ago. In addition to piccata, I use them in niçoise, with smoked salmon and cream cheese, (second the potato salad idea), in Veracruz-style fish, Olivier salad. I also make fish with a piccata-type topping. They’re also called for in Königsberger Klopse (German meatballs with a caper cream sauce)

I now use them more than I use dill pickles or olives.

7 Likes

A soft dough of usual proportions AP flour, salt, jarred lard, cold water. Chilled a couple of hours before rolling out.

1 Like

Given their salty, briney nature, I wonder how one would do speared with an olive in a dirty martini.

Thoughts @BeefeaterRocks @mariacarmen ???

1 Like

Go for it! I once had a large, stemmed caper in a martini place of the olive. Yum. Martinis are delicious, but too strong for me, or I might do that all the time.

4 Likes

great idea, but i’d think you need to spear 5 or 6 at least!
i keep a large jar of salted capers in the fridge, and i think i’ll try this soon. but mine are much smaller than the ones in your pic.

2 Likes

i’ve had a martini with a caperberry before, those are also delicious.

3 Likes

Thanks, just lovely.

We live in a rather forested part of town, and have all the forest animals. Fortunately our town collects compost, so it goes in a big bin with a lid. I wouldn’t dare keep my own pile with food scraps and encourage the critters any further. 2 winters ago, they chewed up all the innards of our engine compartments in 3 cars. 1 was old, and only has liability coverage. The out of pocket to fix, after insurance paid the other 2 (deductibles…) was over $2k. F’ing squirrels.

3 Likes

I’ve had a jar of caper stuffed olives. They are commercially available. I also like anchovy stuffed olives, they are a good garnish for a Bloody Mary. So this morning I decided to stuff two tiny capers in green olives and garnish my Virgin Mary. Pretty good. It’s 9:30 on the West Coast. Thanks for the inspiration, I had forgotten about them.

10 Likes

Blargh. :pensive:

You’re smart to be cautious about potential food sources. Our current house doesn’t have a garage so I’m familiar with rodents seeking out engine compartments of vehicles. And a mechanic once told me that he once removed 5 pounds of dog kibble that a mouse stashed away in someone’s car. Both the vehicle and the dog’s food supply were kept in the person’s garage.

1 Like

We don’t have a garage either - only a carport. And our mechanic told us that all of the tubing was changed by the manufacturers a number of years ago from rubber (I think?) to a somewhat more biodegradable material that happens to also taste sweet to critters that nibble it! Unintended consequences!!

3 Likes

I briefly googled what makes a smashburger and it seems like first you just put the ball of meat on a flat-top and after it sits a while, you smash it down. I’m curious what is the function of that, rather than just flatten the patty nice and thin before putting it on the grill. That would be easier if one has a pan and not a flat cook surface. Do you know or might you ask bf?

1 Like

for one thing, there are two patties, and smashed pretty flat. i believe it’s to get a lot of surface area crustiness. and i think he originally flattens them thin before putting in the pan, and then again while they’re in the pan. ours are done on the stove top, as we don’t have access to a grill. i can ask him later.

3 Likes

That is STUNNING!!!

2 Likes

New February edition is here - sorry for the delay!

2 Likes

Those look great, but i share in the BF’s chagrin :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like