What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

That looks gorgeous, P!

Thanks, LF! I’m a skilled prawn eater and often peel the prawns for both of us. The partner is not so fast at peeling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That dish looks beautiful. Coincidentally I pulled out some shelled Gulf shrimp from the freezer not long ago and was thinking of what to do with them. I hit them with some garlic aioli and stuck the back in the fridge while I pondered the possibilities over a pour of rye. I was thinking of grilled shrimp on fresh corn tortillas but your dish is very inspiring. Mmmm…??

Presunto, lovely prawn dinner!

Tonight pasta here too, green vegetables with tuna pasta.
Green veg = leek, green bell pepper, garlic, lemon confit cooked with a bit of chicken stock and green pesto, pan cooked. Canned whole tuna was added to the pan when the cooking finished. Perfect for a Monday night after work meal. Looking forward to do more cooking this week.

2 Likes

Presunto, the best I could come up with on short notice. Paired with a chopped Cesar salad. Wife liked it and she doesn’t like shrimp (too bad)

Parsley and arugula made up the greens in the pasta

7 Likes

Jealous of your razor clams! Our dinner tonight was simple - a nice thick flap steak, grilled to a nice rare/med-rare, and roasted Brussels sprouts with chili flakes and thyme. These were particularly good Brussels - they got super sweet in the oven.

5 Likes

The time change, a long and depressing day at work, and an abandoned trip to WF at 7:30 on the way home (not one stupid parking spot) resulted in an all time low for dinner…leftover garlic knots from last night’s take out and TJ’s spanakopita. There was a bottle of Pinot. Ugh.

3 Likes

i was JUST thinking today, is Monday always this depressing?? Here it was partly because of the time change, although it was glorious doing my walk home in the daylight again.

great article - that tomato soup! i must try to replicate it.

i don’t think i posted this before, but forgive the repetition if i did - this is the açorda à Alentejana i made when we got back from Portugal, from a recipe the chef at our favorite bar/restaurant gave me. Mine was nowhere near as tasty as his was, but it was still really good. also a pic of our attempt at recreating that fire-roasted sausage. I’d love to visit the Alentejo someday…

and the dratted BF wouldn’t like it if the clams were in the dish - like a blood hound, that boy is - he can sniff out seafood if it were 2 parts per million!

8 Likes

Lovely looking meal as always.[quote=“Presunto, post:219, topic:3799”]
White sauce goes better with samphire.
[/quote]

I’ve only tasted samphire once and the flavour reminded me of grape leaves / dolmades. Would you say that’s the typical flavour? I ate it in a restaurant that often tinkers with ingredients so I wasn’t sure I was tasting the ingredient or their tinkering.

I made patatas bravas, of a sort. I’d looked over some recipes, and since i had the massa de pimentao already made, I just added some tomato paste, sherry vinegar, salt, cayenne, and a little mayo. potato chunks were parboiled and fried until crispy, then tossed with the sauce in the hot pan. They turned out remarkably well. I’d make them again, as patatas bravas are probably in my top 10 of favorite tapas.

I roasted the marinated tri-tip until just medium rare - it came out of the oven at 137, and rested for 15 minutes. I asked the BF to carve, but he forgot to cut it AGAINST the grain, and it was way tougher and browner than it should have been. we went back into the kitchen afterwards and cut the leftover meat the right way and, like magic, tender, pink, and perfect. at least the flavor was still good. He also made brussels sprouts, roasted with onions, cumin, granulated garlic, brown sugar, s&p - he thought he burnt them but for me they were just good and charred.

8 Likes

stunning dish, as always.

that looks just wonderful to me.

We had the same meal, almost! Have some crab meat in the freezer for her just in case?

I also find modern varieties of sprouts sweet(er) when roasted. But someone who despites sprouts will not believe that. I have always liked sprouts.

Did you know… the word for Brussels sprouts in german literally means “rose cabbage”.

Samphire should taste a bit salty and briny, and crunchy. Can be quite salty depending on where it is grown. A pity that the cook destroys the taste of it by tinkering with other ingredients.

You never posted this meal, good to see it now. Far better than mine when I got back from Portugal. The recipe seems simple enough but I failed to replicate it.

1 Like

I’m going to have to agree on Monday being a brutal day. I had a horrible day at work!

I couldn’t sleep Sunday night, so in the middle of the night I made a Lentil Sheppard’s Pie.

The recipe was very straight forward and the results were tasty. My husband and two year old gobbled it up! I served it with a green salad.

3 Likes

Yes & no. I think of it as being a bit like salty asparagus - it has the same grassy element.

2 Likes

There’s a brown gloop meal from the freezer - in this instance, a beef & horseradish stew. Alongside, Jersey Royal spuds (it’s an early start to the season, so you will be heartily fed up of me mentioning them over the coming weeks), together with some cavolo nero and a tin of celery hearts.

Cheese for afters.

2 Likes

WFD on Tidal Tuesday The Ides of March: ~ Red Fish from the F/V William Lynn. Moldavian Fish, Tomato, and Red Pepper Casserole: [Please to the Table] White-flesh fish; chives; red peppers (jar); leeks; (white) mushrooms (mixed); chopped tomatoes; dry white wine; parsley; dill; RPF; feta.

This is a recipe with several stages that eventually all come together to bake for 25 min with crumbled feta on top. Sounds pretty tasty in the book, hope it lives up to my expectation.

~ Green Bean and Walnut Salad: [Please To the Table] Steamed green beans, ground walnuts, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, a drop of water, olive oil, thinly sliced red onion (I’m using a sweet onion steeped in a bit of vinegar to cut the rawness), chopped cilantro, S & P.

I’m not too certain I’ll make this one as written. I might just steam the beans, chop toasted walnuts, finely chop white & green of 2 scallions, season w S & P, add chopped cilantro, and toss w Greek olive oil and lemon juice.

2 Likes

We’ve been eating a lot of beef lately so I decided to lighten things up tonight. Spicy salmon burgers from Fish Without a Doubt, along with a fennel-orange-romaine salad. I spotted an ENORMOUS and beautiful bulb of fennel at the market this evening and I couldn’t resist!

6 Likes

Tonight was a brown gloop night, ala Harters. BF dubbed it Fiesta Pollo El Misterioso, as i couldn’t tell what the hell it was, or what part of the world it purported to be from. Even after defrosting this morning, I wasn’t sure, but thought it was chicken.

Turned out to be more surprising than we even knew. Provenance ascertained! First, it wasn’t chicken. Second, it wasn’t our cooking. Third - hooray! it was leftover sichuan 5-spice pork shoulder! from my a favorite sichuanese resto. The BF caramelized some onions to go with, and they absorbed some of the sauce beautifully. I asked him to make rice and a salad with his chilinaise dressing (kewpie mayo, sesame oil & sweet chili sauce).

i was going to make a 5-spice chicken for tomorrow night, but… well, the brown gloop stole that thunder. So, thighs are marinating in lemon juice, fresh minced sage and thyme, because i had it, smashed garlic cloves, olive oil, s&p. threw in some chunks of potato too. all will roast together tomorrow.

i also roasted up a bunch of cauli with the massa pimentao (getting a ton of use out of that stuff) and some more smashed garlic. that’ll be for lunches. also, made a nuoc chamish sauce (lemon juice, brown sugar, chili flakes, chili oil, and fish sauce) for brussels sprouts, which were also just roasted and will be for lunches.

7 Likes

I agree that Monday is a difficult day. Usually, sleep late Sunday night, so Monday is always tiring for me.
I admire you cooking in the middle of the night.

Yesterday night was a few beers at a bar with coworkers, back home we had a lot of cheese for dinner: Ossau Iraty, red Cheddar at it’s maturity, chèvre d’or, Camembert…everything from Carrefour. Ossau Iraty was bought maybe 2 weeks ago and was forgotten in the fridge, a bit passed it’s peak and becoming a bit hard, still good. The goat cheese is just melting, couldn’t be better. The Camembert is reaching it’s maturity, very tasty. I like the cheddar a lot, taste isn’t very strong but lots of subtle flavors. Mr N isn’t too thrilled with the cheddar, found it a bit too “soft”. My cat loves it so much, he kept asking us for more.

5 Likes