What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

Local, grass fed lamb steaks. Thanks to @Scubadoo97 I cooked in a 225 oven and then threw on the grill about 90 seconds one side and 30 seconds the other. Sauteed mushrooms, baked potato and TJs green peas (I love them!) Great comfort food and probably dinner for tomorrow since we’re leaving town Tues…

4 Likes

'Tis another Nigel Slater recipe for dinner - and another from Kitchen Diaries. Have to say, I’m enjoying the seasonality.

This one may not be the most seasonal. It sees sausages, black puddings and parsnips browned in the pan and then finished in the oven in chicken stock and thyme. Probably need some bread alongside. Dead simple and the ingredients appeal to my inner northerner.

1 Like

Now preceeded by hors d’ouevres - celeriac remoulade, some tinned Greek “gigantes” beans in tomato sauce, and artichoke hearts. A wodge of foccacia alongside.

And followed by wimberry pie and creme fraiche. May nibble on a little cheese before that.

It’s turned into quite a feast.

7 Likes

I had to google wimberry. They’re not something we get here. I love the term ‘mucky mouth pie’.

Have been living vicariously through you all.

My riff on a Portuguese meal called Porco à Alentejana. Or, pork in the style of Alentejo (a place/province in Portugal). Gonna make it there someday!

Lots of bread to mop up the sauce (the red sauce is actually massa de pimentão / red pepper paste).

6 Likes

WFD: ~ Roast Cornish Hens and Tiny Yellow Potatoes: Hens have been dry brining uncovered in the fridge all day. They and the potatoes will be seasoned with small pinches of S & P, sweet Hungarian pepper, Aleppo pepper, minced garlic, lemon juice and zest, and clarified butter. Served on a bed of chopped lettuce, sliced radishes, red onion rings, cherry tomatoes. Major Grey’s chutney.
~ Steamed Broccoli tossed with S & P, sweet Hungarian paprika, pistachio oil. Shaved Parmigiano over each serving.

5 Likes

I slaved over tonight’s hauté cuisine dinner tonight -phew, I’m beat! :wink:

Gorton’s extra-crunchy fish filets, Alexia sweet potato fries, and peas. I did make a remoulade/tartar sauce for the fish - mayo, chili sauce, pickle relish, and Sriracha sauce. Yes, I know - you’re all wicked jealous.

I did make 2-1/2 quarts of meat sauce to feed the freezer earlier today. So there’s that.

Do we really have to go back to work tomorrow? ::Big sigh::

6 Likes

Hey, a couple of nights ago dinner was Stouffer’s turkey tetrazzini. Period.

Saw a nice corned beef from my local butcher as I was buying some mortadella for sandwiches , I’ll take one of those also . Boiled beef , carrot , red potato for tonight . My fridge is stuffed already . I’m out of my mind . Leaving Thursday for five days . I have a lot of leftovers to polish off .

3 Likes

Funny you should mention this. I found a corned beef from Costco in the freezer…from FOUR years ago. Threw it in the slow cooker with a can of beer and that was it. I’m not a big fan of the potatoes and cabbage part so we’ve been snacking on it and fried some up the other morning and topped with a couple of sunnyside up eggs. We’re leaving town Tuesday and I’m probably going to take it with us :slight_smile:

Presunto, sorry for getting back to you so late - yes, we did! we loved it! that’s what we were trying to recreate, but without the flames. doesn’t compare, of course.

1 Like

owwwww!!!

i just made another batch of massa pimentao, and i was looking at a recipe for porco a alentejana! Drat the seafood-hating BF!! yours looks wonderful. lurrrrve razor clams soooo much, too bad we don’t get them here…

2 Likes

Been out for dinner the last three nights in a row, with nothing really to write home about… which is a damned shame, no? Well, we had some decent cheapo Indian/Pakistani food Friday night…

But i picked up a nice little tri-tip roast today and it’s marinating in chopped green olives, dijon, minced garlic, and white truffle oil. i know it sounds like an odd combo, but i had it once at a friend’s bbq, and I’ve been making tri-tip that way ever since, albeit sans the grill. we’ll roast this one, and serve it with some kind of potatoes - maybe homemade hash browns, as I’ve been craving them like mad lately - and a salad.

5 Likes

Here are the yummies from last night-

Roasted cauliflower steaks from epicurious, asparagus mimosa and zucchini “zoodles” in pesto sauce. These were all served with some store bought chicken breasts that were in a tomato based sauce.

I highly recommend the zucchini “zoodles” (zucchini spiralized into “noodles”) as a way to lighten up pesto pasta.

5 Likes

It’s a fruit that you’ll never see in the supermarkets but occasionally open markets have them. The market in the town where I used to work would have them, but only for a few days. They came in a small wooden tray with about a kilo of berries. Farmers markets often have the pies and we always buy a couple for the freezer.

1 Like

Dinner’s a bit of an oddball. Recipe comes from the supermarket and you might have a sense that they are marketing ingredients, rather than sorting out a completely coherent recipe.

So, chicken thighs are tossed with za’atar, cumin and lemon juice and go in the oven on a bed of sliced onions and roast for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, freekeh is cooked. Also meanwhile, quartered Little Gem lettuces are given a minute or so in the frying pan to char slightly. And, still meanwhile, yoghurt, dates, cumin and lemon juice are blitzed in the processor.

When the 25 minutes is up, the cooked freekeh and some finely shredded cavolo nero is tossed through the chicken and onion mix and gets another 5 minutes in the oven. Dinner is then ready.

5 Likes

Another work night for me, albeit a short one. Wegmans’ lobster bisque to the rescue, augmented with poached (in the bisque) wild pink shrimp & TJ’s Green Dragon sauce.

Big mixed salad on the side with various lettuces, campari tomatoes, avocado, chopped red pepper & sautéed king oysters in a shallot-mustard vinaigrette.

Probably get to eat before work. Enjoy the new week, HOs!

4 Likes

Why is it that I always feel like I have to “acclimatise” on Monday? I hate Mondays!

Easy and fast dindin today. White sauce goes better with samphire. I had to use up half a pot of cream so it worked out fine with the greens. Lots of prawns. Half kilo, actually.

In 2 weeks time I will be lounging round in my PJ’s on Monday!

6 Likes

I used a lot of the red pepper paste on purpose as you can see in the photos. The clams always release more water than you think, so once cooked you mix everything well to make a nice sauce for the bread.

There was a kilo of clams but I ate most of them and the partner ate most of the pork shoulder. I’m always glad to eat all the shellfish myself! (LOL… don’t mind if I do!)

A pity you don’t have access to razors. A good reason to travel then. If you ever get to prepare live razors you might notice a few would try to shoot water at you, or in a general direction! I mean like really shooting!

Have a look at this article by J. Anderson about Alentejo and its food. I already knew long ago I wanted to visit Alentejo province for its rustic, traditional food. I would just go there for the porco preto* alone!

(*Portuguese black pigs)

1 Like