What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

My favourite too. I think I’m doing something similar when I want to have a simple and quick meal.

I was going to make crab cakes tonight, but since I work till 11 pm, that got postponed till tomorrow, when I’m done an hour earlier.

And so, we’ll go back to the ole stand-by of Wegmans’ lobster bisque with poached shrimp & arugula salad with avocado, shaved parm and lemon dressing. Simples.

3 Likes

Isn’t it a fab and easy meal? We’ve been going simple and easy with our dinners this week. Hope we don’t get toooo complacent.

Seasoned Chicken breast stuffed with roasted peppers, topped with mozzarella and provolone sprinkled with a balsamic reduction.

9 Likes

Striving for tasty & healthy (and reasonably photogenic). Filet of salmon with tomato, mushrooms and onion, accompanied by a side of broccoli and carrots.

7 Likes

West Coast Wednesday: Ready to be cracked and picked.
Starter is smooshed avocado on toasted sour dough bread so I won’t starve whilst cracking and picking.

7 Likes

I ate my first dungeness crab(s) 3 yrs ago. My friend came back home to Fla. after living in Washington. He brought back a cooler full of frozen crabs, and knowing how much I love me some crabs, he asked the DH if I wanted some. Since I have never met a crab I didn’t like…

I must say, I like them better than king or snow crabs. Not as much as stone crabs, but they are a different story.

My fav will always be my blue crabs and softshells, but I think that I like the dungeness because they are so much like a blue crab.

I just wonder how much better they would taste if not frozen. Do they come live for sale on the west coast? I am in Fla. So we only get them frozen if available.

Lovely spread you have there :wink:

Lasagna pulled from the freezer last night to defrost and reheat tonight.
Crusty buttered roll.
Wine.
Done.

Yes, the season opened Jan 4th. I bought this one at the port, fresh cooked. I have frozen Dungeness, pulling them out just short of done and then a quick dunk into hot water when thawed and they were not bad. I have yet to have blue or softshell, They are on my bucket list.

And done well! I wish I had an uncle like you to sit down to a 15 course meal with. Is he the nephew that had a photography exhibition a couple of years back?

The season still has not opened yet here in Santa Cruz . The crab boats are sitting idle . The best part of the season is over . What a loss for these fisherman .

Simple meal tonight. Cheater chilaquiles. We had some leftover pulled pork (really smokey takeout from a local joint), some oil in the deep fryer and some stale tortillas to use up. Black beans cooked with onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and a can of fire-roared chiles add some flavor and texture. In a pinch, Bayliss’ Salsa Verde in the pouch provided the sauce, and some sharp cheddar and a bit of sour cream filled out the layers. Some guac on the side finished off the dish, and the toasty masa flavor of the fresh-fried tortillas didn’t hurt. Even without the homemade salsa, one of my husband’s favorite meals. He loves the contrast in texture between the crispy tortillas and the softer ones that have absorbed the salsa, bean and pork juices.

1 Like

Where’d you get your crab? Are the SFBA ones cleared yet?

Yeah, we can get them even live. I remember going back home to Atlanta from SF and telling my SIL that I was bringing three crabs for dinner. Her family is from Savannah so she was silently wonder WTF three people were going to do with ‘only’ three crabs. Til I opened the cooler :slight_smile:

I’m on the southern Oregon coast. We just got cleared, that’s why the Jan 4th opening. Emglow101 says Santa Cruz still not open.

Hmm, I thought I’d heard that somewhere south was open but maybe Santa Barbara. Leaving for Seattle tomorrow so looking forward to plenty. Can’t remember, if I ever knew :), where are you?

You will love them. I have been eating blue crabs since before I had teeth :smiley:

Brookings

1 Like

Heh, if I had never seen a dungeness before, I would have probably been skeptical too!

I had a huge brunch today. I took my MIL for a medical test scheduled for 7 am this morning. She hadn’t eaten since 7pm the night before. Well, she didnt get the test until 1pm, so she was pretty hungry. I asked her what she wanted to eat on the way home to her house and she said “would you mind making some sausage gravy” when we get home? Well, of course! My MIL thinks that I make the best SG&B. That means alot coming from a Georgia gal.

So, I made a big pot-o-gravy, biscuits and potatoes. Ate with her and came home.

Then I ate a piece of carrot cake. Then I told the hubby that there was a container of SG&B for his supper.

I think I am going to make a bagel for a snack.