What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

Looks like a great tasting menu - hope you all enjoyed!

Thai Tuesday: Fish soup and napa cabbage slaw. I used snapper, shrimp, snap peas & mushrooms. http://steamykitchen.com/29073-thai-fish-soup.html

4 Likes

Looks fantastic. So rich and flavorful.

Same. I always cook braising cuts a day or 2 ahead for 2 simple reasons: it’s easy to remove the cold fat on the surface later. The other reason is time, which braising really needs.

1 Like

What’s kilo/pound price for the shanks? I can imagine it’s a bit steep due to (lack of) supply and demand?

Or if you can wait til Berlin again.

Very much so. He’d had pigeon once before but not enjoyed it but absolutely loved this version. It was a farmed raised bird, rather than a wild one and the meat is much tenderer. The dish is the chef’s signature one but has changed a bit over the couple of years they’ve been open.

I’m so glad he liked the experience, although we thought he would (our other nephew and nieces wouldnt find it at all their “thing”).

3 Likes

Upcoming…lamb chops, roast spuds, peas, mint sauce

In this house, the spuds are known as “little crispies”. They are cut into about 1.5cm cubes, tossed in oil and very finely chopped rosemary before getting about a 30 minute roast.

4 Likes

Wow, for a 15 yr old, this meal would remain a memorable event (unless he has this every other week…) Personally, I never had a 15 courses meal in my life yet. Is he already a gourmet? I think it’s a very good idea to invite very young adult to good food, it’s a learning process.

He’s 23.

But he’s been a foody since he was very young. When the family used to come and visit us in the UK, we’d take him on our supermarket trips and always say to him that he could have anything he liked. It was always something from the fish counter - usually whitebait which he’d eat with ketchup - because he was only 4.

1 Like

Sorry for mixing everything up. Where is the family from?
He has chosen fish over sweets, indeed a foody!

Lovely!

His mother is British and his father Spanish (a holiday romance that has stood the test of time). He was born in Mallorca and lived there till he was five. The family then moved to the UK.

I’m particularly proud of a remark he once made to his mother. Along the lines “I like going out for meals with Uncle John. I don’t always like the food - but it’s always an interesting experience.” I reckon for an uncle’s contribution to his development, that’s “job done”

7 Likes

I see the influence of his love for fish now.

$7.49/lb., with most packages around 1.5-2 lbs.

Maybe we’ll bite the bullet anyway, since we love that dish so much…

I have a pork shoulder recipe (thanks, Will Owen) that I try to do the day before. I can cut thick (1"?) slices and reheat in the slow cooker. Reduce the fat-removed sauce.

Go for it. It’s not like you eat it every week.
I paid eur.8 for a kilo.

Catholiver, that’s another cut I like!

1 Like

8 € for a kilo is half as much, tho :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Last night was a freezer dive. A black bean and ham concoction that we garnished with fresh coriander, jalapeño and sour cream.

Tonight it’s back to Ottolenghi. A mung bean and carrot salad with feta. We’ve made it before and it’s delicious.

The food project for the day is checking out stone fruit for bottling. I was given an old vacola unit and I’m keen to see if it’s in working order.

2 Likes

Last night WFD was roasted pork belly with marinated with fish sauce, and cooked with white wine and whole grain mustard and served with sauté potatoes.

WFD should be cooking chicken tonight …since it was a bit late and still no idea which recipe to use…in the end, choose the no fuss pasta path. Creamy mushroom fusilli with bacon, parmesan, leek and fresh herbs. Nothing fancy… since long time didn’t eat pasta, feeling good.

1 Like

WFD: 1. Chinese Chicken and Rice One-Pot Meal.
The chicken & rice couldn’t be easier: chicken stock, sliced ginger, garlic, green chili to flavor the cooking broth. Jasmine rice, boneless chicken thighs sliced in half, covered and cooked till rice is tender and chicken cooked through. Julienned scallions, and cilantro leaves for garnish. A drizzle of soy sauce when serving.
1a. Ginger Scallion Dipping Sauce.

1. Steamed Shanghai Bok Choy au Naturale.
3 Likes