What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

Thank you! Passing this along to her too!

Tried to avoid buying produce today since i should recieve my misfits produce box tomorrow (yay!).
Made a cucumber/rice wine vinegar/sesame oil/black vinegar/sesame seeds thing that was my appetizer

Another one for the Random Stuff on Salad series- three bean salad i found in the cupboard (why do i keep thinking i like this more than i do?? It’s definitely not a repurchase), and some cucumber, sunflower seeds, some orange segments and tomato. Side of kombucha and the rest of the plantain chips from last night

8 Likes

Black beans and rice. I also made homemade salsa served up with sesame blue corn chips for a playdate. Bogle old vines zin in our glasses.

10 Likes

I had marinated two chicken thighs with the cafreal spice paste yesterday, so I cooked the other one, but in a gravy this time.

Puréed some extra spice paste ingredients plus half a zucchini to add some bulk to the sauce, apparently channeling my mother’s vegetable-hiding skills.

Parathas from the freezer.

(Black speck in the background is the chicken skin chip.)

8 Likes

I like the Bogle wines . Been to their vineyard.

1 Like

Hard to beat for $8.88. Their wines have been good for a while, as I recall.

1 Like

Last night we had grilled chicken legs that were marinated (brined?) in buttermilk, brown sugar, garlic, smokey paprika, lemon juice and salt overnight. Super tasty but next time I’ll do boneless thighs. I think the flavor will stand out better since they are thinner. Sides of brown rice and sauteed green beans in butter.

The little one looked at the plate, grabbed the whole handful of beans and moved them to mine. “Mommy, NO WANT IT” Ok kid… She did eat the chicken and the rice so not a total loss.

12 Likes

A definite win in my book

5 Likes

Let’s just call it a very sharing gesture and be glad the beans didn’t end up on the floor!

5 Likes

I love the spin!!! That’s excellent!

1 Like

Tonight - visit to favourite Indian restaurant with Mrs H and her sister. 'Twas lovely as always. At last I am on first name terms with one of the owners!

Tomorrow - beige gloop meal, in the form of chicken casserole, from the freezer.

6 Likes

Mrs. P made an awesome pan seared boneless quail salad with roasted sugar snap peas, mini peppers, Brussels sprouts, red onions, shredded sweet and smoky beets, red grapes, arugula, in a reduced balsamic syrup :yum:

17 Likes

Words fail me. Just spectacular.

2 Likes

Had some mango to use up and had taken some chicken out to cook, so this fit well with my taste buds, with a few augmentations.

I added a couple of sliced carrots to the red bell pepper part of the saute, and when the chopped mango was added, I tossed in a cup of frozen peas and a half cup of cashews.

Served on basmati rice, with wine alongside. It was pretty good. And gives me leftovers for work lunches.

11 Likes

I saw you cut the cucumber into hexagons, what happened to the little triangles leftovers?

1 Like

Thanks Jimmy :blush: I’ll let Mrs. P know. It was almost too pretty to eat.

1 Like

Haha, wasn’t intentional! I use a knife to peel them so apparently i made a new shape

After a bit of an epic saga (deliveries at my apt are a logistical nightmare) i got my misfit produce box today! Very exciting ton of organic produce

For dinner I sautéed the chard with some onion, garlic, and a splash of cider vinegar in olive oil, seasoned salt on top

Lots of scrubbing and washing happened! Decided sweet potato with a puddle of peanut butter sounded just right

I’ll definitely have one of the mangos for dessert, maybe both since they’re small.

15 Likes

Down to not much in the fridge and freezer and dont really feel like shopping so half a jar of porcini sauce was mixed with most of a bottle of passata and various seasonings to make a sauce that went over and under a mix of ricotta, beaten eggs, cooked chopped kale and sliced and browned “Italian” chicken sausage in a casserole dish and into the oven to bake. The man will probably grab something out since he’s going to be late and I’m tired from feeding kittens in the middle of the night so I’m sure it’ll be fine. :slight_smile:

The good news is they’re growing like weeds and eating canned food and learning to drink water so soon I’ll be able to feed them less often and sleep through the night!

18 Likes

got back Monday from NYC, a long weekend trip with my sister, and we ate the whole town down. no need for anyone else to go there, we cleaned it out. god i love that city. but who doesn’t? oysters and smoked fish and bagels and steak and Italian food and cocktails and sushi and and and… arghh. i live in a foodie town and i’m already itching to go back.

tonight’s the first home cooked meal I’ve had in over a week. Well, semi-home cooked. BF fixed up our italian deli’s tortellini and made a cream sauce for them, Alfredo-ish - Delish. and look how pretty he makes everything! also fresh mozz and tomatoes and a green salad. ooh and the deli’s garlic bread too. no small plating tonight, that’s for sure…

14 Likes