What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

The belly of salmon or steelhead is one of my favorite things to eat

This was steelhead. Salted with brown sugar and a sprinkle of black pepper then vacuum packed and tossed in the fridge for 3 days.

Tossed it on the smoker this evening. Served with a side salad

18 Likes

You really take advantage of having a smoker! The fish looks delicious.

1 Like

Goodies from my produce box for dinner tonight!
I totally winged it on the eggplant- had wanted to make the deborah madison recipe recommended on the eggplant thread but my oven wasn’t cooperating today (deep sigh) and i had just used my tomato paste and canned tomatoes for lunch soup.
Anyways, sautéed with garlic, black vinegar, soy sauce, and then added in cubed firm tofu and let it do its thing a while. Finished with some toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds, cilantro on top. Very tasty!

The carrots were really sweet and had such a great flavor i wanted to eat them raw. Used my peeler to make a salad thing tossed in a red wine dijon heavy vinegrette, some scallions, sunflower seeds and capers (my jar of capers seems to fill again when I’m not looking! Seems to be an endless supply of them)

15 Likes

Thanks, It’s an old Masterbuilt electric smoker I bought in ‘08. It’s lived way longer than expected. I’ve wanted to upgrade when this one dies but it just keeps going

Those carrots look delicious

1 Like

I don’t blame him… it’s one of the few seasonings they have that I don’t enjoy.

Steak and roasted unidentified mushrooms.

12 Likes

I met up with other ex-Chowhounders so I was well taken care of, you can be sure! Four of them met us for lunch at Via Carota - a most splendid meal.

6 Likes

holy crow that looks amazing…

3 Likes

I’m jealous!

3 Likes

gorgeous feesh!

Last-minute theater tickets, so dinner was an indulgence on the way home.

Pork and crab soup dumplings

With ALL the chilli oil

16 Likes

Me too!

Don’t you love it when a day turns into a pleasant surprise?

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

When I was in CA earlier, the mushrooms were abundant and cheap and organic at the asian markets. Tonight I looked longingly at a 5.99 box of maitake that I bought for 1.49 not that many days ago…

3 Likes

Thanks. The high fat content does result in an unctuous end result that’s hard to screw up. The belly was obviously thin and was on the smoker at 250-275 for a good hour yet the texture was excellent

Sometimes I think I buy sides of salmon and or steelhead for the belly

1 Like

LOVE the belly!

I choose the packaged smoked salmon at Costco for the belly piece, and “trim” them off before cooking salmon for the hubs.

1 Like

Thank you!

Subbed Grain’s of Paradise for pepper. Somebody on here might have mentioned putting them in my extra pepper grinder and I’m using it way more often.

3 Likes

When I buy a side it’s the first thing that gets sliced off. Makes portioning the rest of the filet much easier

2 Likes

I bet these unidentified mushrooms were maitake!