What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Garlic Knots @ Don Philipo Lexington Avenue & 78th Street

1 Like

Ttrockwood already posted the address and I have duly noted it. Thanks anyway.

2 Likes

Boozy s’mores

Buy the large white marshmallows and drizzle with brandy. A little is all you need. Place on long stick or metal skewer. Hold over your fire pit until they flame and toast. Campfire, firepit or fireplace.

Use the large graham crackers and brush one side with booze, then spread a nice thick layer of Nutella on each cracker on the other side.

Assemble and enjoy.

8 Likes

I feel the same way about visiting NYC. So many places & choices, so little time…

2 Likes

Won’t be going to NY in the near future. Anyone has a good recipe for home made garlic knots?

Hong Kong black pepper scallops (adapted from Wine Enthusiast) and ginger-edamame cauliflower and wild fried rice. Yum.

17 Likes

Looks scrumptious!

3 Likes

If you make (or buy) pizza dough that’s the hard part, they’re just tied into chubby knots and baked, then once done tossed while still hot in a huge bowl with way more minced fresh garlic than you would ever think to use, a generous splash of olive oil and some chopped parsley.

6 Likes

Good! Husband is still crazy about pizza, he makes everything from scratch once or twice a month, I will ask him to make me some spare dough.

1 Like

Stuffed clams, sake salmon, green salad with lots of lemon.
Plums for dessert.

6 Likes

Scrambled egg and cheddar sandwich. Cooked and consumed by candle light.

I couldn’t find butane locally for my portable stove - everything was sold out. I ordered some from Amazon on Monday and it was delivered yesterday just in time for Florence!

Power back on now - fingers crossed. I’m pleasantly surprised they repaired the line so fast - just under 4 hours. Every hotel I drove by yesterday had a parking lot full of out of state utility trucks at the ready.

Rather dull sitting in the dark. I tried telling the circus cat ghost stories. He fell asleep…and never reciprocated.

13 Likes

During Hurricane Sandy I was driving a tour bus. My wife moved in with a neighbor. Do you have people with you?

1 Like

Not in my home. But my neighbors are all home. I checked on my elderly neighbor earlier and she was doing great. We visited for an hour. We all keep an eye on each other!

13 Likes

Excellent to know. So important during emergencies.

3 Likes

Salad of All the Things tonight, cucumber, tomato, olives, chickpeas, bell peppers, lots of cilantro (of course), dijon heavy vinegrette. Kombucha a la carte. Terrible lighting in my apartment once it’s totally dark outside

Yesterday was Ripe Avocado Day, i made a quick very unattractive guacamole and scooped it up with some cucumber and bell pepper strips. Side of cucumber with mild miso to dip- also not attractive but took a photo anyhow

8 Likes

Be very careful with portable stove using butane . 2 weeks ago my son was at the beach using a butane cooker. Somehow, the bottle was situated incorrectly, his friend used a fork to adjust it, left the fork causing a fire. There was another butane bottle nearby, which also caught fire and exploded. His friend suffered 1st and 2nd degree burn of his arm leg and abdomen, was transported by ambulance to Washington DC ( about 100 miles away) WHC Burn unit. He was hospitalized for a week, had skin graft, is recuperating! Thank God he will be fine. Googling, we found out how dangerous it is, much more accident than we realized. I had purchased that in case of emergency when there is power outage but never used it. My son decided to use it when he is at the beach rather than his portable propane cooker ( the propane bottle is situated further away from the unit, thus safer) as it is a smaller unit , higher temperature. Lesson, perhaps we will buy another one for the house in case there is power outage but will never use it indoor. I was fooled when restaurants use them as well as some caterers I had hired for brunch making omelets for parties thinking it must be safe indoor. Thank Goodness that accident happened on the beach outdoor, away from the boater or we would have a terrible inflagration! The boat carries 250 gallon of gas when full.

How awful! It’s never a good idea to force the fit of a gas canister.

The style I have will only engage if the tank is positioned in the exact manner. I’ve used it hundreds of times for catering and demonstrations.

I have a propane camping stove but the heat regulation is just not as refined as the butane stove. The camping stove is bigger and more of a production to set up. So the butane gets used the lions share of the time.

3 Likes

I forgot which brand we have as my son kept it in the boat all these times. I know it is one of the more expensive professional model. I bought it because I saw them being used in restaurants as well as when we had caterer for us. I have not been out with him on the boat except twice in the last 6 years, but we did not cook when I was with him. I enjoy eating out. He only cooks when he has company.
Which brand do you have if I may ask?
Where did you purchase it?
He has the same complaint re h is propane camping stove.
Summer is over, I doubt he will be camping out again but one lesson we learned is that he should not let other people touch his equipment. I am terribly upset when visitors come to our house and feel they can use my equipment.

Mine was modestly priced. I purchased it at a Chinese grocery store. It is made in Korea. “Jumbo” is printed on the front - perhaps that is the brand name. I’ve had this one for over 10 years. No idea of the brand of the prior ones. I think they were purchased from restaurant supply stores. But all of them have been essentially the same.

Any time I’m using a gas tool that does not get frequent use I review the instructions manual and make sure the surrounding area is clear of combustibles. I also inspect the gas canisters prior to use. If there are gas lines and gauges they get tested too.

1 Like

Slow roasted tomato tatin for lunch. Garden tomatoes, cut in half, with fresh oregon, thyme, capers, dried tomatoes with raped Gruyère cheese and the dough covered my non stick pan as mold.

Preparation, before sparkling the cheese and dough.

Added some marinated anchovies.

Pixel had a cloud of dust around him for a few days, cat wash this afternoon! Now he is so clean, but this wouldn’t last as he loves rolling everywhere. Sigh!

For supper, we didn’t go food shopping today, freezer came to our help. I made Avgolemono: lemon, egg and chicken soup. We added orzo as suggested. Unfroze the chicken stock made a while ago. I roasted some chicken thighs to add to the soup. It was good as we were both not very hungry.

Recipe

21 Likes