What's for Dinner #35 - The Summertime In The City July 2018 Edition

Ha! Nyc is really just a very big small town i swear… well, certainly you should visit next time you get a chance!

How was it? Persian food interests me, unfortunately I don’t have much experience with it.

You overdid yourself! It looks delicious.

2 Likes

thank you!

that lamb stew sounds amazing!

That is too funny! And impressive it was tasty too

Post-pool, pre-show sustenance: another delish cheesesteak-BLT. Possibly wings after I get back home.

We’re playing at a local cider place tonight with a nice selection of ciders and a beautiful patio to play on. Looking forward :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Up early for a nice visit with Mom. Sister and I got her stuff moved into her new room, and she sorted through a few things before her dinner and she kicked us out. LOL

Some antiquing on the South Shore with my sister after stopping at Ward’s Berry Farm for some fresh corn. I didn’t get anything while antiquing, but a 50% off price on a (non-antique-but-just-right) nightstand Sis can use up at her Maine cabin was not a hard sell. I only had to twist her arm a little bit…and I think the fact she didn’t have enough cash on her so I paid for about 2/3 of it as a late birthday present was the final push over the edge. Not that she needed a whole lot of shoving. :wink:

Dinner was a lamb sirloin steak that I dusted with Penzeys Lamb Seasoning, salt & pepper, a bit of dried mint and some dried lemon zest, drizzled with some olive oil, and quickly grilled. Into the convection oven with a Tbsp of fresh lemon juice drizzled over top to finish. Went a wee bit over on the cook, but it was still good! Mint jelly alongside.

Stripped an ear of corn and sauteed it with some sugar snap peas and red bell pepper, seasoned with dried thyme, marjoram and salt and pepper.

There was wine. And something On Demand for viewing tonight. Still haven’t picked it out.

12 Likes

Yum.
Yum.
YUM!

3 Likes

Guests over for drinks. I made fried green tomatoes from our garden with comeback sauce. And set out local hummus and French bread and various noshes. My kitchen reeks of oil but my belly is happy.

9 Likes

On Friday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all at the (mostly) Xinjiang market near Huxi Mosque after Friday prayers, at the intersection of ChangDe Lu and AoMen Lu. We started with these sort of dumplings that are baked in a coal-fired tandoor. They get crispy on the outside, but the dough remains naan-y on the inside. Plenty of scallion pancakes and jiaozi. Another fried dumpling style thing. Sweets. Lots of different raisins. I had bad naan in China everywhere except here. (If you don’t see it being made fresh in a coal-fired tandoor, don’t buy it.) Ate way too much.

20180727_143523

20180727_161248

11 Likes

For a late night snack, we had Green Tea Macarons. There’s an outdoor market close to our AirBnB which showcases local artists. I found this vendor selling macarons, sugar cookies, and meringues.

Not cheap at 15RMB/each, but well worth it. She can’t find almond flour so she makes a sort of almond paste in a food processor. I asked how she learned, she said via YouTube, of course. (The macarons are in the cooler. Shanghai is very humid.)

13 Likes

Smoked meat, salad , and bread . Wine to drink . Cheers .

8 Likes

That butter melting is so enticing.

This was our last meal in Shanghai (三丰元,威海路724号). On the right is a charcoal grilled meat stand run by a gentleman from Xinjiang. The best grilled meat I’ve had in China, hands down. Everything he grills, gizzards and heart even, is delicious. You order there and then sit in the restaurant on the left and he brings it to you.

The restaurant is great, too. We had great stir fried cauliflower and cold noodles the first time we were there. Yesterday, we had eggplant with green beans, peppers (something between bell peppers and poblanos), and stir-fried chicken (the chicken was bone-in and had a coating). Excellent meal.

We visited some bakeries. This one was the best. Good bread, very respectable pastries. The white bean bun was my favorite.

13 Likes

Gig went really well, despite a little technical snafu that was resolved for the 2nd & 3rd set. Nice crowd, nice atmosphere, and absolutely delish strawberry summer cider. We even sold 2 CDs :smiley:

As suspected, we ordered wings on our way home for pickup: naked (with afterburner, their hottest buffalo-style sauce, on the side), lemon-pepper - a new summer flavor I hope they keep because LEMON-PEPPER, and cajun blackened. Ordered too many, so we have a few leftover for a midnight snack tonight '-)

As for what’s actually for dinner: a bunch of whole sardines I picked up at our local fishmonger a while ago (frozen, no worries :stuck_out_tongue:) that will be grilled with just a brush of olive oil & kosher salt, with lots of lemon juice to be squoze over. Side of COTC, app of bruschetta with lovely FM maters that need to be et tonight.

Having our pescatarian friend over for the fish meal and possibly a movie afterwards.

Happy Sunday, y’all!

12 Likes

Wings for us tonight too, Moroccan BBQ spice on half and teriyaki on the other half. Black bean and roasted corn salad with an excellent labne, cucumber, mint side.

11 Likes

Yay for lemon pepper! :rofl:

3 Likes

Didn’t do a whole lot today. Which I’m good with.

Needed to use up a lot of veggies, so salad it was. Lettuce, spinach, chicken, tomatoes, carrots, radishes, red onion, corn, goat cheese, croutons.

Dressing was apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice, minced shallots, maple syrup, dry mustard, s/p, and hazelnut oil.

Lousy picture, but it tasted very good. And there are plenty of ingredients left for a work lunch tomorrow.

9 Likes

Last night i picked up an avocado veggie roll and a seaweed salad from the actually very good sushi place near me on my way to see my favorite six year old. He “already had dinner” earlier yet didn’t hesitate to ask to try my sushi so next thing ya know he hoovered half of it! :joy:
After an enthusiastic round of hallway tennis with a balloon he wanted a snack, we settled on sliced apple with mini pb crackers a la carte

Followed by him reading to ME! Bernstein bears getting up to no good

Apartment cleaning and bike riding today, was actually nice out although certainly hot.
Found a new to me fig jam- I desperately love all things fig- the ingredients are just figs, sugar, oranges and citric acid. Picked up some soft white bread and went with pb and j! Watermelon and kombucha a la carte

11 Likes