What's for Dinner #35 - The Summertime In The City July 2018 Edition

staying in tonight, as i have a gig tomorrow eve & we’ve been partying it up all week.

WFD will be grilled BISO chickie boobs à la grecque: kalamata olive oil, splash of RWV, juice and zest of two lemons, paprika, oregano, rosemary, thyme, fresh mint, onion & garlic powder, TJ’s lemon pepper and lots n lots of kosher salt :slight_smile:

side, fittingly, another xoriatiki & COTC. it’s summer after all.

happy friday, peeps & enjoy your weekends!

8 Likes

You’re not being upfront with us Ttrockwood! You said that there were only 3 garlic knots in your picture because you had already shoved one in your mouth. Well, I just looked at the Don Filippo website and their menu specifies that there are 5 pieces in an order of garlic knots. So if there are 5 in the order and 3 in the picture, elementary mathematics leads to the conclusion that …

11 Likes

Conclusion is garlic knots are addicting and we lie about our addictions

5 Likes

Unless she gave one to a beggar.

2 Likes

Not likely from one addict to another

3 Likes

Well, I’ll have to try these things and see what happens!

2 Likes

First ones free

3 Likes

You think Don Filippo thinks so?

1 Like

They should. Bet they’d sell more if the gave out free samples

1 Like

Do you think that the caviar people would also sell more if they gave out free samples?

1 Like

No. That’s salty fish eggs. You have to play with peoples minds to make them want to eat that.

Garlic knots, ripe for addiction

5 Likes

Scubadoo, it’s not that I’m abandoning the discussion, but it’s 2am here, and I’m going to bed! Ta.

Good night. Just having fun. Sleep well

1 Like

Haha! Well the one i ate was rather big now that i think about it… probably two got stuck together and i was in a Hot Carbs induced trance and just didn’t notice!

5 Likes

Basically a crapton of cilantro was WFD here. And i am obviously too lazy to pick the leaves off so i just chop up the more tender stems (the sturdy stems go in my morning green juices)
Some tomato, black olives in hiding, a bit of vidalia onion, and tempeh i steamed in the microwave. There’s some salad greens under there somewhere. Added tahini miso dressing after the photo. Booch a la carte

6 Likes

Pickle-brined grilled pork chops, big salad with roasted red pepper dressing and crispy onions, mac n cheese with peas. More Knoppers for dessert.

7 Likes

Pork sliders! ground pork with minced garlic, s&p, and lots of smoked paprika, buttered and griddled little honey buns (they’re not sweet though, so…), then a dollop of aji verde on one half, and on the other lettuce, tomato, jalapeno and avocado slices. Sliced goat cheese melted over the sliders. Corn on the cob was buttered then rolled in s&p/cumin/smoked paprika/cayenne. Fast and delish.

A shit-ton of Peruvian chicken is marinating in the fridge for a Peruvian-themed party I’m going to at friends’ home in Stinson Beach tomorrow (Peru’s Independence Day). I’m also going to make more aji verde to go with, and causa Limeña. Picked up some Pisco for Pisco Sours too!

Happy weekend, all!

14 Likes

Funny you mention “don Filippo”; the owner Phil was a neighbor for 30 years, and our daughters played little league together… (we lived in the Roslyn, NY area)

3 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is pretty much all from “Persiana” by Sabrina Ghayour.

To start - batinjan al rahih - aubergine roasted until it’s soft, then finely chopped/shredded. Mixed with a little red pepper, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, s & p, parsley. With flatbreads

To continue - lamb & apricot stew - neck fillet, onion, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, honey, dried apricots. With a radish, cucumber, red onion salad , with a mint/honey/oil/lemon/orange blossom water dressing. Rice

To finish - sliced orange, sliced figs, scattering of toasted almonds (our normal Middle Eastern dessert)

16 Likes

2 nights ago, got back from Disney Shanghai super late. We had eaten just enough bad theme park food to live. The only place open, 30 seconds from our AirBnB, was… Joe’s Pizza from Greenwich Village, what?!? I didn’t want to eat pizza while I was here, but we were very hungry. And the pizza was surprisingly like what we get in New York. I ordered an extra slice.

The price was good, too, considering cheese costs a fortune here.

11 Likes