What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

Made some shells in vodka cream tomato sauce with shallots, and a salad.

10 Likes

My market labels those squash as “grey spanish squash” which is an odd name, they do look a lot like zucchini just not as green.
Fireflies are magical!

1 Like

I had some good soft tofu on hand and used a big chunk to made the lazy easy japanese style chilled tofu with soy sauce some grated ginger, scallions and a little sesame oil. Side of sugar snap peas, cucumbers and bell pepper with furikake. Then more of that watermelon with a little Everything and kombucha a la carte.

1 Like

Umm… i kill succulents. Keeping anything alive much less growing enough to eat it is really impressive- regardless of how it started!

This is what mine looked like. The description indicates white flesh but in reality it was yellowish like in the photo. Same as your grey squash? Does it usually have a kick or was this just an anomaly?

Made trifle today. I was inspired by the financier thread: Financiers - ideas for desserts?

Layers from bottom to top: custard, financer pieces, fresh raspberries, strawberry gelatin, whipped cream, toasted almonds. The homemade strawberry “jello” didn’t set properly, so I called it strawberry ganache.

12 Likes

that is the PERFECT fried egg! swooning…

1 Like

that duck looks succulent! i must make duck confit someday soon, i’ve been putting it off for years…

1 Like

Chicken sandwiches today. These are popular in Pakistan as a tea snack and during Ramadan. I never understood the appeal of overcooking chicken and then dousing it in mayonnaise. But the family wanted it for nostalgia, I guess, so I obliged.

The bread is Kindred’s Milk Bread.

10 Likes

Veg wraps. The tortillas are supposed to be “corn” (listed as third ingredient but name on packaging is “corn”). The puree (bottom right) is chestnut puree mixed with minced beetroot. I actually put this thing on bread at weekends but it’s good to spread on anything, really. In the pan are fried onions, portabella mushrooms and shredded beetroots (uncooked).

It was getting very dark I managed to grab a couple of quick shots and sat down to eat straight away.

6 Likes

Decisions on the half bath remodel have been made…I think. LOL

Spent about 2 hours (split between morning and afternoon) on work Emails. :-/

Thankfully, dinner was pre-planned: a Cheeseboigah on a toasted Wegmans brioche bun with ketchup and some of my Romaine lettuce on top. I went with Martha’s double-fried homemade French fries with Maldon sea salt on top.

Yep. There was wine.

9 Likes

Yup, definitely same thing! I’ve only bought it a few times because for some reason it’s more expensive than zucchini. The insides were like a creamy color, flavor similar to zucchini. I don’t recall any spicy flavor at all but it seemed like the seeds were either smaller or the flesh was more firm than zucchini.
Just so similar to zucchini I don’t feel it’s worth the $1/lb or so more.

Too funny. I bought it because it because it was 1/3 less than the zucchini and summer squash! They are all so similar that I’ll go with the less expensive assuming they are in similar condition.

1 Like

I made little potato pancakes out of leftover mashed potatoes. I was quite proud of my thrift and ingenuity. :wink:

(Flour, eggs, Parmesan, and parley.)

11 Likes

Niblets and wine from the 65th floor with a darling friend!

Add a few more glasses of :wine_glass:!!
I was exactly buzzed enough a sharp knife was a bad idea once home…:woman_shrugging:t3: So pretend there’s a picture of tofu with soy sauce and scallions and a bag of pumpernickle pretzels.

8 Likes

Loved the ghost of the empire state building reflection once the sun went down

7 Likes

Spring rolls today. Filling was shredded chicken, cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper, mushrooms, black pepper, and soy sauce. I cook the veggies 75% and add cornstarch. As the veggies release more moisture during frying, the cornstarch turns it into a sauce. No dipping sauce needed.

Also made biryani in the pressure cooker. I think I used too much water because it came out mushy. The flavor was great and I’ll attempt to fix it. Also, the recipe I followed on YouTube introduced me to a new spice (marathi moggu) so it was fun.

As iftar (breaking fast) approaches, our cravings start to go crazy. There’s mango milkshake, an egg salad sandwich, and let’s throw a glass of orange juice in there for good measure…

8 Likes

Very professional looking spring rolls there! Not sure mango milkshake is the first thing i would think of with egg salad but you do you! :wink:

1 Like

Those look PERFECT!

Last day of “vacation” - such as it was with the time I spent online dealing with Emails and requests. Such is life. :::sob:::

Personal appointments and some antiquing (which didn’t pan out, but that’s OK - i don’t need anything else!) and then a quick stop at Market Basket at 4:30 p.m. on the Friday before a holiday. Thought I was nuts for doing so, but I got in and out pretty quickly.

Dinner was seasoned and sauteed thin-sliced flap steak, combined with slices of provolone and caramelized thyme shallots, all piled into two buttered slices of sourdough bread with a few leaves of fresh basil in between and grilled on the grill pan, and served with some Utz potato chips. The first of a probable 4 days of various iterations of potatoes…because, well, POTATOES.

There was Australian Bundaberg Blood Orange soda (a World Market on-a-whim purchase) with Tito’s vodka and lime juice as the pre-dinner drink, and a glass of wine with.

12 Likes