What's for Dinner #32 - the Spring Has Finally Sprung! Edition - April '18

Leftover lasanga is the best.

1 Like

Been busy keeping it simple sausage and peppers tonight an old standby. Its winter cold again heat is on im ready for summer.

7 Likes

It was a tough choice tonight. Zucchini came in first. Mashed potatoes and gravy second. And in the very close race pork chop topped with gravy.

Wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers

9 Likes

Dinner idea #1 was an Epic Fail.
I have a great veggie spiralizer thing i recieved as a gift a few years ago and decided that the two random zucchinis i had should be spiralized and sautéed and i would top them with some thick beany tomato based stew from the freezer.
I swear they were in the pan with a little oil- nothing else! no salt, nothing- for nanoseconds before turning into a soft wet mess.
Ick.
It was cold and yucky today because it’s apparently still winter so soup sounded like a good enough way to use them.
Garlic, onion, a spoon of better than bullion veg base, some canned coconut milk, the sad soggy zucchini, salt and a hefty amount of white pepper, and good sized chunk of medium tofu went in the pot. I blitzed it smooth with the immersion blender. Wished i had cilantro or basil on hand, the neverending dill seemed like a bad idea. Added a squeeze of lime to my bowl and some of the crunchy seedy mix from trader joes with a little handful of hemp seeds.
Worked out pretty good! Crazy super bubbly overflowing the bottle ginger lemon kombucha a la carte.
And i’ll just keep having zucchini noodles raw if/when i make them again.
Apparently wasn’t filling enough, a few hours later i had an apple with almond butter with my tea

4 Likes

I was also thinking about spiralizing the zucchini. Was going to use the vegetable peeler to make thin slices. Ended up cutting it up into pieces and simmering in little water. It was still the star of the show. I did think about the soft wet mess.

1 Like

I made dry wantan mee (i.e with the soup on the side, rather than the noodles in the soup). It was the same process as the one I made and posted on the Malaysian cuisine thread.

However the soup was more like the ones I had in Malaysia as I found some wantan soup powder. I used less than directed as it smelt pretty strong stuff and I also browned off chicken wings and added them and some cabbage to the soup when I made it. I didn’t add any star anise, lemongrass or mushrooms to the soup this time.

I almost forgot the pickled chillis for the noodles but remembered before we ate it.

9 Likes

I usually add the raw spiralized zuchinni to hot sauce and let it cook slightly, then serve it.

I have definitely lived and learned with the overcooked zoodle.

Good save on your menu with the soup!

Good idea.

My mom actually bought some new knives for the condo because she rents the same place annually.

I bought my mom some better knives because she had such crappy ones.

My brother (read novice cook) had an epiphany when he used my mom’s knives. She ended up buying him a new set for a gift.

2 Likes

Did you make the dumpling from scratch?

Not my forte I’m afraid. I discovered this while trying to make pierogi for a Eurovison party, everyone had to make a dish from one of the contestant countries and I picked Poland out of the hat.
I used these frozen pork wantans, they were pretty good.

1523722099-003352300

It’s even better if you catch the mackeral… my absolute favorite fish when super fresh. I broil em, or even make a killer mackeral gravlax.BostonMackeral

9 Likes

what is going on? have been getting these messages

Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to noreply@www.hungryonion.org. Gmail will retry for 44 more hours. You’ll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

@ccj, that could be related to you getting Email notifications of your posts? @naf and @hungryonion - any idea?

It seems you have accidentally clicked reply and your Gmail has tried to send a mail to the hungry onion Note that it is a no reply mail, Gmail couldn’t deliver your mail.

I hit the reply that is under this page in green with an arrow to the left.
Did y9u get the pictuses I sent?
I only took picture of szechuan chicken, shrimp and multiple vegetables which I think went thru

no idea

More steelhead but belly and sweet smoked. Brussels and salad

10 Likes

Yours looks like it was great!

Aha, that sounds like a much better idea to do hot sauce on raw zucchini noodles…!
My mug of leftover soup was much better this morning as a bit of late breakfast.

2 Likes

After two nights in a row of not what I expected/wanted for dinner i decided to leave it to the professionals tonight.
There’s a tiny fantastic rastafarian hippie vegan cafe not far from me, they have a daily plate special of whatever the adorable friendly grandma is cooking that day. You get a grain (red rice, or quinoa, or black rice, sometimes a mixed rice blend) and then the four daily dishes.

Today was black rice (there was a thick layer under all this, wonderful earthy flavor and chewy texture), with pumpkin stew- i think it was kabocha squash, curried green split pea stew (with stray chunk of tomato), sautéed kale, and this wonderful mushroom mix. Everything was seasoned well and really tasty!
Totally hit the spot for my hippie healthy comfort food nostalgic craving. @emglow101reminds me of something from new leaf in santa cruz :smile:image

Sorry about the super crummy photo…! Yikes.

7 Likes