What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

I am delighted for you!

Those look really professional! Although any sushi is really an excuse to eat a pile of pickled ginger for me, i always ask for lots of extra on the side (also a fan of the grated daikon)
They’re promising 30s for us tues/wed!

A couple meals.

Last night, salmon belly and tail off the smoker. The fish was salted and coated in brown sugar before hitting the smoker.
So good

tonight a kosher salchicha sausage done middle eastern style

11 Likes

“A child is doing her homework whilst making a living!”

I used to see children doing homework and helping out family businesses (like fish mongers and vegetable stall). A few things to take from that photo too. First, with just a few herbs and vegetables
 selling just a few items must mean so much to her. Second, she (or her parents) actually care about education. The photo speaks it clearly:
 making money to help out my family is important, but study is also important too
 I can do both.

4 Likes

The bread looks so attractive
 :wink: Everything else look great too. How long did the bread take?

My first meal in Seoul was mung bean pancakes. I was not so hungry and this restaurant is in an alley of restaurants within walking distance from 2 pubs I wanted to check out.

Oysters in chilli sauce. They want to replenish it but I didn’t want any more. You can get the side dishes refilled at no extra cost.

A mixed plate.

Hey, a man fries pancakes.

We had fun with the translation app. You have to hold very still or the translation keeps changing the meaning of words.

The full menu. We got the mixed plate.

My tour to Joint Security Area/JSA was cancelled today due to a high-level talk with N. Korea so I’m still gutted about it. The press’ vehicles and camera crews lined the road leading to the check point. And of course the heavy presence of the military. When we were waiting to present our passports to the authority the tour guide showed us (on her phone) news and photos of the check point on many news sites. I only got to visit the demilitarised zone but it’s better than nothing.

7 Likes

I’ve been hibernating in the house, leaving only for work and it’s been fantastic. My stomach is still on a rollercoaster so I’ve been keeping things simple but tasty.

Dinner was pickle brined chicken with mustard and mayo.

For dessert, a dose of probiotics and collagen to help the gut - goat kefir smoothie bowl with peaches, mixed berries and collagen peptides topped with hemp seeds and half a banana

3 Likes

If you don’t count the full year that it took to learn how to control this bread, it takes about 3 hours of active time over a 24 hour period. If you want the formula and instructions, happy to share.

2 Likes

Grilling Korean style but when you are in Korea it’s just grilling. We chose this combo of 3 different cuts because it had the least amount of meat (and still it was too much). The server cooks the meats for you and snips them and expertly removes the bones.

Also came with bibimbap and soup. I didn’t touch the soup, though. It’s the icy cold kind.

9 Likes

The amount of food served at each and every meal is overwhelming! I think Koreans would find my tiny appetite insulting. Loving your pictures.

Thanks! Yes, a lot of food for us also and we are not big eaters. Today we finally had Korean fried chicken for a late lunch and didn’t feel like eating anything this evening. It would mean we would face another table full of food when we were not so hungry. We had apples and beer in the room instead.

Another full day tomorrow and then we are flying home before 1am. Can’t wait to go home!

1 Like

I know the feeling.

1 Like

Taco Monday with some brisket tacos.

IMG_4219

7 Likes

Hot and sour soup again.

3 Likes

Polevka and knedlyky because it is rain and mudslide season in my beautiful land.

11 Likes

For whatever reason, I had no appetite at dinner time. At 9pm, I found that I could imagine eating a bit, so I make a piece of toast and spread it with some cream cheese.

4 Likes

That looks fun! What’s the name of the app? Does the app translate only Korean or other languages too?

Please do, interested. How many times have you tried to make this a success?

I start to feel hungry at 9 pm everyday, it is only then I start cooking, so meal is always around 10 or later.

Yesterday was the last days of the retrospective exhibition of American photographer Eugene Richards, went to Grande Arche first time in my life.

Rooftop

La DĂ©fense on a grey day. Strange, doesn’t look very Parisien, the landscape.

Came home late, a simple oven-cooked pork ribs marinated with mustard in grain, 35Âș Vietnamese fish sauce and dark beer (added last 10 minutes) was the main dish. Also had some cheeses.

Monday meal. H bought some kangaroo meat, this one was marinated with gingerbread sauce, not fond of it. (neither the texture nor the taste).

Sunday, I remade the same dish (that I have made on NY’s eve) with grilled mandarin and another seafood, amandes de mer. I looked up the translation, dog cockles or European bittersweet, strange names! I read a bit more, this shellfish was a bit hard in flesh after cooking, it was meant as dog food. I would say the dish indeed was better with cockles and clams, not to say dog cockles were bad, but the ingredient was not suitable for this subtle recipe and need something stronger in favours.

7 Likes

Frittata for dinner - garlic chicken sausage, turkey bacon and mushrooms

Baked cinnamon apples with vanilla ghee over sheep’s milk froyo for dessert

7 Likes