What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Nice! Glad everyone enjoyed that soup as much as i do. Good call with the reduced corn starch, I’ll certainly do that next time i make it (which will be soon!)

As i told my sister on the phone “no! It’s not freezing!! It would have to WARM UP by about 30 degrees to be freezing!!” And yeah , 34 sounds totally tropical right now.
I only braved the outdoors to get to my close grocery store a few traumatic blocks away. I had found this cabbage soup recipe and it sounded sturdy and warming. I have exactly no idea what pork sausage even tastes like and the field roast that market carries is just italian flavor so i left that out. Also negative on black eyed peas so i swapped in canned white beans and then used a cashew cream garnish to my bowl instead of heavy cream.
Ok totally not the same as the written recipe. Whatever. It was tasty and warming and filled me up! Looks like a mess in a bowl so there’s no photo

7 Likes

Try sweet potatoes with sambal oleek one day! It’s a great combination of sweet and salty.

2 Likes

I couldn’t figure out what I wanted for dinner until it was too late to defrost anything, so ended up pulling out to TJ’s Ricotta & Lemon Zest Girasole (sunflower) stuffed pasta. Made a quick herbed cream sauce, and heated up some crusty rolls to go alongside. Glass of wine. Did OK for a quick fix.

9 Likes

Last dinner in Busan before leaving for the capital (I’m now on my 3th day in Seoul).

We tried another simple place at the fish market. This meal for 2 persons costs 10 euros.

This perilla kimchi is very nice. The leaves have turned black but the perilla taste is still there.

The place is run by a mother-daughter team. The mother chops vegs next to my table.

A simple and ingenious rig. The spatter guard is custom made to fit a frying surface, the top doubles as a shelf.

People come and go all the time. Koreans eat twice as fast as us.

Korean chopping knife. I got 2 like it but smaller, for slicing.

6 Likes

20180107_112304

Made square biscuits today. For dinner I made a biscuit sandwich with tomato, cucumber, avocado, mayo, sriracha. It was what I wanted. Others had leftovers.

7 Likes

DH was craving pizza for all the football today, but didn’t want to indulge in carbs after our holiday bender. So, I fell back on an old school Atkins trick - cauliflower crust pizza. I had a bag of frozen riced cauliflower in the freezer, a new item from my last Costco trip, so it came together quickly - just thaw and wring the water from the cauliflower, mix with an egg, some soft cheese (I used chevre) and spices, then bake until dry. Top (pepperoni, jalapeno, red pepper, green olive, mozz), bake again and eat. It’s not the real thing, but it is tasty and killed the craving!

10 Likes

Lot of time in the kitchen today. My poolish was a victim of the Great Fridge Death of 2017, so I have started a new one. Yesterday’s feeding happened late, which meant I started my ciabatta dough after lunch.

More lamb today working on making some room in that freezer. Defrosted 2 shoulder steaks, and then marinated with a very simple Turkish formula in a vacuum sealed bag. I then fired up the smoker and put a large eggplant in there for almost 2 hours. When it was ready, it went under the broiler with some tomato, onions, and garlic. This became közde patlıcan, a wonderful eggplant salad. Technically it means, coal-roasted eggplant, but mine was smoked instead. Whipped up some hummus. Threw the lamb into the sous vide machine.

All the while, stretching and folding my bread. And then the bread needed my full attention and into the oven they went in two batches. Today was a landmark day! I didn’t swear even once while playing with this high hydration dough. It didn’t stick to me, the board, the marble, the peel, or the oven! My crumb isn’t quite as open as i would have liked, but the results are mighty tasty.

Normally, I would serve this meal with flat bread, but we had fresh bread. From our oven, and that is what we ate.

közde patlıcan

hummus

my plate

bread rising after 4 stretch & folds

out of the oven

12 Likes

Stretch & fold is the way to go when you’re in the kitchen all day. Makes it feel like you are multitasking wisely.

1 Like

Soup again!
I found the korean soybean paste in the back of my fridge and decided i had to make myself something with it. Maangi recipe for the traditional soup using doenjang, i omitted the fishy stuff and pepper, used a whole block of tofu, and added some crumpled toasted nori to give it some of the “ocean” flavor it was missing. Maybe my paste was stronger than the kind she uses, at first it was too strong and salty but i added more water and it came out very tasty and warming. Topped with a lot of green onion and some cilantro.
I snacked on some kimchi as i was making this and should have made some rice to go with the soup but I’m ambivalent about rice and just didn’t bother.
There’s definitely ginger lemon tea in my near future, i restocked on ginger and lemon since i like to bash the sliced ginger into the hot water and tea bag with lemon juice.
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/doenjang-jjigae

4 Likes

Naf, yes, canned hominy…

This is a very typical perilla prep and the leaves always darken. It’s a favorite of mine. Yum.

1 Like

Despite the cluttered and MacGyver-ed look of many East Asian and Southeast Asian kitchens, I bet they are cleaner than most Western restaurant kitchens. Most Asians I know are fastidious (and in my own personal experience, Koreans are clean freaks). In many years of eating off the street in SEA, I have yet to get sick. So don’t let the “dirty” appearance of these kitchens fool you - they are just as concerned with cleanliness as you are at home.

4 Likes

What a neat little mash-up! As you probably know, cilantro is not a typical Korean ingredient so I love this! (I personally love cilantro.)

You sure there’s no Korean blood in your lineage?!

It warmed up to 31F today and my kid kept asking for sushi rolls and eventually I started craving it, too. 2 hours later it was ready, took everyone 2 minutes to finish. Simple one ingredient rolls: avocado, cucumber, leftover chicken. Some plain, some with homemade sriracha, some with sriracha mayo. Soy sauce and grated daikon on the side.

11 Likes

We made it to 34º!!!

Dinner was the chili I made earlier this week, but tonight I made a pot of rice and ate them together while he stuck with a bowl of meat with some cheese and chips.

2 Likes

Easy weeknight dinner, made even simpler by my new range! It’s a standard 30" size but features “edge to edge” cooking, which means the burners are spaced much farther apart. I had a 14" All-clad on the front left power burner, a griddle spanning the middle two and a 12" All-clad on the front right, no problem. The 14" overlapped the griddle just a bit, but I didn’t need the entire surface so it worked out well.

Anyway, I pan roasted some Brussels sprouts in the 14", grilled a flank steak on the griddle and sauteed cherry tomatoes with thyme in the 12", simultaneously. Lashings of kalamata olive and rosemary aioli on the side. Currently trying to decide whether I should allow the cat to remain on my lap or go finish the sprouts!

6 Likes

Congratulations on a new range! Model? Manufacturer? Hot spots?

It’s a GE Cafe: https://www.goedekers.com/GE-CGS995SELSS.html Goedeker’s was running a killer sale on Cyber Monday so I coulldn’t resist, especially after my old one crapped out on me TWICE during the middle of cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

Thus far I have not discovered any hot spots on the range top. The power burner is SO powerful (21K BTU), I have actually burned a few things while getting to know the settings. I had the 14" pan on it set just above medium heat tonight and my Brussels got great char spots - so you can only imagine how hot it must get on high. Even the “regular” right front burner, which I think is 18K BTUs, has to be twice as powerful as the hottest burner on my old range. I haven’t used the simmer burner much yet but I am sure it will be perfect!

The ovens seem to cook very evenly and the small top one heats up in a flash, very nice for weeknights when I am usually just roasting one sheet pan of something. The broiler, which is located in the top of the larger oven, is quite powerful and covers a much larger area than my past gas broilers have. The only complaint I have is that the broiler (and the oven, I think) turns itself off if you leave the door open too long, but it’s very hard to see things on the top rack without opening the door due to the placement of the window. There’s probably a way to change this in the settings, I just haven’t gotten around to reading the manual yet.

I was originally thinking this range would be a semi-temporary replacement until we remodel the kitchen (in a few years), at which point I was planning to upgrade to a 36" cooktop. Now, I’m not sure I’ll need to! Very highly recommended!

5 Likes

Haha, i wish there was! I’m going through an extended korean “phase” with no end in sight…!
I love cilantro on about any soup, well anything actually, so it’s just what i had on hand and was a nice fresh garnish. works great on miso soups too fyi :slight_smile:

1 Like