What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Great day at work (read: home, babysitting pager and singing hallelujah at the stroke of 1400 when my coverage ended) and pizza night. I experimented with a plantain crust recipe I happened upon. I didn’t expect much and thought it might be odd but it sort of worked…not as a crust replacement (definitely not crust like, more a vehicle) but as it’s own thing.

2 Likes

@LindaWhit. How are you and Finn doing? I may have missed an update during my flu-induced haze, but have thought of the two of you often.

Thanks for asking, @smtucker. Finn came home on Monday night, something I was truly not expecting! I burst out crying at work when I got the call that he had eaten that morning and his fever was back to normal and I could pick him up after work.

They honestly don’t know exactly what was wrong with him. Some sort of lower GI infection is all they can determine - luckily no lymphoma or irritable bowel disease. He’s been on anti-nausea meds and two antibiotics all week, and has been a champion in taking his pills, although he dislikes the fluid antibiotic the most. He goes back in on Sunday morning for another quick ultrasound (at no cost to me) to make sure there’s no more issues inside his gut, but he’s been eating and drinking without any issues.

He followed me around the house on Monday night, and the same on Tuesday evening after I got home for work. He’s back into his normal routine, and we’re both very happy. Fingers crossed that Sunday’s appt. doesn’t show anything else re-emerging.

11 Likes

We have lot of (average) catering leftovers to finish from last weekend. So I made toum, the magical food improver. Making it without egg whites gives a cloudy texture, but it’s also much more time consuming.

toum

And a brown sugar tart from the Milk Street cookbook, with a tangzhong pie/tart crust. Very simple, yet very much greater than the sum of its parts. The brown sugar gives off caramel-y notes. If you close your eyes, you can imagine you’re eating a flan tart from a fancy French bakery.

5 Likes

For reasons I don’t understand (although exhausted and very hungry play a factor) i wanted chinese delivery last night, especially those green beans (although i make a great version myself) and some tofu with mixed veggies in the mysterious brown and garlicky sauce.
I didn’t even eat half of it, in real life it wasn’t that great. And then i woke up a few times in the night with cranky tummy… ugh. Probably just too much oil in one meal which doesn’t sit well for me.
Boring bland things today trying to be nice to the still grumpy tummy while having an epic stressful work day. Fun times.
I made a simple miso soup with stuff for dinner, lots of tofu, some seaweed and lots of spinach. I wanted scallions but just used a tiny bit. More kombucha. Seems like everything is fine now thankfully.

2 Likes

I had some chicken fat leftover from making broth and used that for some chopped liver using this Ina Garten recipe. I subbed Cognac for the Madeira. It came out pretty well.

10 Likes

Good news for me too, LindaW!

He follows you around the whole time only means 1 thing: he had missed you like hell. Lots of cuddling this weekend for sure!

Cancel all appointments! :relieved:

SuperBusy

9 Likes

Wishing you and Finn all the best!

2 Likes

I have some liver in the freezer that needs a use, this looks perfect!

1 Like

@LindaWhit

Glad that Finn is getting better and hopefully nothing bad happens, was it something he ate?

Talking about cat, I am now travelling and staying at a home in Bordeaux, and the cat is travelling with me, he seems disturbed and disorientated staying in a place without an access to exterior.

An update on the brioche project. Finally a success (in taste), the look still has work to go. The guilty was the yeast, like @bbc said, maybe it was old (though, it didn’t past the best before date).

10 Likes

I’m so happy for you and Finn. Good grief, I know that feeling. So glad he’s better!!!

2 Likes

There’s nothing you can say or do to make me eat rice (or kimchi) now. This is emmer wheat mixed with steamed fresh roe.

I used a spicy prawn paste to flavour the prawns.

4 Likes

Wow… that is stunning to me! So glad you persevered and it was just the simple issue of the yeast

1 Like

let me know if you like it.
we just made pizza last night
We added a tun of anchovy to the pizza sauce ( purchased from costco also in a glass bottle - my son made the pizza) , then he added costco’s pesto sauce to the pizza as well. taste yummy.

Congratulations!

I am just getting back to all the emails from hungry onions that went into my junk file . So happy for you. My Wolfie was hospitalized for vomiting and diarrhea some time ago. Diagnosis, was acute pancreatitis! He had too much chicken liver !!So, I only give him and Luna chicken liver once a month when he has to take his heartgard as they spit out the heartgard unless I grill the liver, chop it so fine that they cannot distinguish it from the heart gard. Since then, I keep pepcid, probiotic as soon as I think they have upset stomach! Wolfe had to have 3 days of iv fluids.
As for liquid antibiotics, I was advised to add it to a teaspoon of vanilla ice cream which he loves1 He had to have 3 days of antibiotic for dental prophylaxis last month!

1 Like

still reading about sausages.
will try 80% venison , 20% pork that is 80/20, add unsalted pork fat 10% ( wander if I should add a bit of duck fat .
I will smoke them but still reading and taking notes. I will hot smoke them
Have not yet cleaned my pellet smoker since I used it 5 days ago,
Will let u know how it turns out if and when I make the sausage.
Found some Ben’s half smokes at Costco for the first time.
Ben’s Chili Bowl (is the place in DC made famous by Bill Cosby and later Obama. I see they have other satellites now. ) They tasted pretty good!

just found out the answer.
Now, I have tons and tons of emails to catch up with

1 Like

just fixed it
thanks