What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

That is very creative indeed! I only wish that Mr. SMT would eat olives when he is not sitting on the Mediterranean.

1 Like

Attempted some tonkotsu ramen using the broth from this recipe:

It came out ok. My broth was not creamy milky white, probably because I cooked it in the instant pot where there wasn’t enough agitation to bring out the marrow from the pork bones. The tahini added an interesting sesame flavor which was nice, not sure if that’s traditional. Also in the future I will use pork shoulder or belly for the chashu, the pork cheek I used was way too fatty (like 75% fat at least).

11 Likes

Impressive. How did you make the eggs?
Soup broth is one of those things I’m reluctant to make.

1 Like

I used half of this recipe for the marinade:

I soft boiled the eggs by steaming for 6 minutes instead of simmering, and then after cooling in ice water, peeled and marinated overnight. Did not poke the eggs as in the recipe, I think that’s unnecessary.

1 Like

Easy delicious dinner last night - macadamia nut crusted chicken tenders. I seasoned the chicken with a ground porcini mushroom spice blend, then spread them with a garlic olive oil sauce and pressed the nuts to adhere. I served with a tahini sauce - tahini, coconut aminos, splash of water.

3 Likes

A few dinners

Sunday night, a home movie night, so we had a simple meal with salad and a few head cheeses and pâtés.

Pork head cheese with herbs and Beef pâté

Ham pâté and Pork head cheese with pickles and green peppers (artisan)
IMG_3222

Of course, the best one was the crafted one, that was why it was barely there for the photo.
Beef was tough, didn’t like it. The others were acceptable.

Bream cooked with lemongrass and fish sauce

Red squids with fennel and curry

Cod fishcake (more discussion here)
IMG_3220

Yesterday, I was thinking of making some mussel omelettes, but gave up when we had the fishcake Monday night.

7 Likes

The risotto looked good in the pict though, was it too hard?

Delicious, homemade Italian food will be one of my cooking project this year: pizza, bread, pasta and raviolis.

I hate that when orzo was doing that to me.

Interesting, it seems most of them were deep fried. Do they have other types of street food? Sweet ones?

2 Likes

I’m also curious about the risotto, too. I tried at least 20 times with the Serious Eats no-stir technique. I leveled my stove, purchased new pans, purchased different types/brands of rice, etc. I thought all the time and money and effort would be worth it if I could have easy risotto for the rest of my life. But I could never get it to come out like traditional risotto. It would seem okay at first, but halfway through the plate you could tell it wasn’t quite right. Do you stir and stir the traditional way?

Yes. Lots of stirring involved. And patience. And stock. It always takes longer than any recipe says that it will and always needs more warm stock.

2 Likes

This has been my experience too. I don’t make risotto frequently, but when I do it always requires a LOT more liquid than whatever recipe I’m using says it will. I thought perhaps I was just buying rice that was too dried out so I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one!

1 Like

Reminds me of this slate article on caramelizing onions:

5 Likes

Some recipes I need to use a bit more warm stock than stated, but sometimes it is okay. Too much stock will end up too soft rice, not al dente. I normally used carnaroli for risotto. I add in batches but I don’t stir a lot, a lot, a bit from time to time, maybe each batch of liquid I add, I make sure they are enough not to make the rice stick. For me it is quite precise, 17 minutes + a few more to add the ingredients.

So true!

1 Like

I try to use carnaroli as well. I like the rice itself al dente, but I prefer the dish in general to be a little soupy or all’onda, so perhaps that is why I generally need more stock.

Just one of those nights…and a glass of cote de rhone

7 Likes

Craving a salad, so I made one from red leaf lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, shaved carrots, sliced cucumbers, radishes, red bell pepper, and green onion, some crumbled goat cheese and dried cranberries. Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette drizzled on and croutons sprinkled on after.

(ETA - I have NO idea why the damn picture is upside down - I’ve added it several times and it still comes through that way. But you get the picture. Sort of.)

NB: Picture edited by mod

13 Likes

HA! I didn’t even realize it was upside down until I saw your comment. It looks delicious, upside down or right side up!

3 Likes

Grilled cheese. Pumpernickel (buttered), mature cheddar, a little cream cheese, bread & butter pickles. Next time, no cream cheese.

6 Likes

I am married to a chef. I always tell people that what you make at home will NEVER taste like something you taste in a restaurant because they always use way more butter or oil and way more salt than you would normally use at home. If it doesn’t taste quite right, add one or all of those.

11 Likes

What I meant was that it tastes good to me with the same ingredients if I stir, stir, stir, but not if I use the hands off methods.