What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

Same dinner 2 days in a row. The legs were so meaty we couldn’t possibly finish everything. Bits on top are garlicky grated bread (grated and fried in Mangalitsa fat with minced garlic).

Today: almost the same, without the belly pork, new garlicky breadcrumbs.

Have been frying everything in Mangalitsa fat for over a week now. Need to use up everything so I can turn off the fridge.

PS: this is my Mangalitsa fat brought back from Hungary.

What a Mangalitsa pig looks like. Much prized in Hungary and there’s not enough to go around so it’s OK if tourists don’t like it.

6 Likes

We are still in the process of moving into our new house
Fingers crossed we will close on our old place on Monday,
this of course means we have to get the last of our belongings out

We have had several really nice meals here that I did not photograph because I am still getting used to my surroundings which screws with my timing and sometimes I’ve been too tired to care. I have only taken a few pictures of food. Also our new neighbor has been helping DH and he is often here at meal time and so, stays to eat … They are strictly meat and potato guys … I throw in a
salad or veg when they are not looking. They do seem to have no problem with panzanella salad though, most likely because bread is involved!

Spareribs on sale for $1.99 a lb

Tri tip resting

Pork chops, I bought the meat at Old World Market in Nyack, these were incredible

Country Style ribs on the BBQ excellent and a great buy at shoprite $1.77 a lb

Brisket, smoked on / in the webber

sliced tri tip

hotdogs cooked in oven on convection, I over cooked them but was told they were still okay

sorry, half eaten bacon bleu burger, I was unpacking while eating

local zucchini with whole garlic and diced onion, cherry tomato, oregano (ritz cracker crumbs) and corn so the guys would eat it (photo was taken before it was put in oven)

cuke, string beans, dill, vinegar, sugar, salt

White trash sundae: coffee and salted caramel ice creams, cracker jacks, sprinkles, whipped cream

coffee ice cream with salted peanuts, Hershey’s special dark and whipped cream

-
and that’s all she wrote … looks like a two year old designed and executed these meals/dishes !!!

9 Likes

Where bouts are you in meat and potato country ?:relaxed:

lol NJ but a part of NJ that is closer to NY than most of the rest of NJ, at the top of a mountain
from what I understand we are at the highest point
on the Eastern seaboard … to clarify
this is not “meat and potato” country, I live with
a meat and potato guy, our neighbor doesn’t even
care about the potatoes :slight_frown:

1 Like

The swordfish is running in New England. I went to the fishmonger today and the swordfish called me from across the shop! Hard to explain, but I knew the moment I walked in that swordfish was dinner. Fabulous!!!

I also made a knock-off Rösti, a bastardization of Ad Hoc at Home’s version which is a bastardization of this dish to begin with. I made the Rösti with spiraled farmer’s market zucchini and Yukon potatoes of unknown provenance. Spiralizing isn’t the perfect way to prepare the veggies and Yukons aren’t the perfect potato, and yet it was really good. Instead of cornstarch, I used potato flour and added chives, parsley, and thyme from the garden. Half that mixture goes into the pan, then I did a layer of grated parmesan cheese and then the rest of the zucchini and potato mixture. I used my great-grandmother’s cast iron frying pan, but should have chosen the next size down.

Swordfish grilled over charcoal.

And the experimental Rösti:

No picture of the green salad. How many green salads do people really want to see?

11 Likes

Eating more fish. Tonight it was Cobia with shredded Brussels and sliced carrots. I’m fortunate to have access to good fresh fish. My only job is to not screw or up

7 Likes

I haven’t had swordfish in years because of the high mercury levels, it was always a favorite and I miss it.
If the canned tuna hasn’t killed me yet I’m sure an occasional piece of swordfish won’t … this meal looks so, so good. That is one gorgeous piece of fish!

2 Likes

love Mangalitsa!

I am old enough, and to be honest, sick enough, that mercury levels are no longer an issue. I know what will kill me, and it sure won’t be mercury levels. I don’t feed my grand babe swordfish since she is young and has a long life ahead of her. But me? I decided that I didn’t care about 15 years ago. I am not going to reproduce. I can live with some mercury. I love swordfish, and am delighted to cook it when I see a steak as gorgeous as the one we ate today.

4 Likes

Just some leftovers. Sustainable food from last night. And it’s my birthday. eight days till the house is on the market. The pressure is on to get her done.

10 Likes

I truly wish for you that you stay and feel as well as you sound :slight_smile:

@chowdom. Thank you. Your thoughts are very kind.

1 Like

Real estate is stressful. That looks like a meal that will sustain you during this stressful time.

1 Like

Happy birthday and good luck!

1 Like

buffalo wings, coated with baking powder, dried overnight in fridge ancho chili powder, paprika, garlic onion powder rub then cooked in turbo broiler until crisp, served with frank’s hot wing sauce
side is broccoli rabe, blanched, then sautéed in EVOO with garlic, red pepper and Datu Puti spiced vinegar.

7 Likes

That zucchini dish looks darn good to me!! I’m impressed you turned on your oven…
How great that you have a helpful neighbor! Hopefully house closing went well for you and you’re settling in to the new place a bit. Moving really is weird how much a new living space can affect everything

1 Like

Happy birthday!! I hope you found some cake or ice cream today!

1 Like

Thank you
lol … yes, just ask my cat!
lots of windows and cross vent
and space, the oven is doable in the heat

I passed around my tablet to show people your cooking skills. They were very impressed and asked me to ask you about the hotdogs. :slight_smile:

Mind you, I had just finished serving a grilled dinner of my own, which included rib eye, crostini, and grilled corn salad. But you win. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

lol
Were boys involved, ungrateful cads :wink:
Boar’s head natural casing hotdogs in
a cast iron fajita pan into the oven set to
convection 350.
FYI the breville oven produces a great hot dog too
no clean up in the regular oven though

1 Like