What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

I WANT THAT CHICKEN!!!

My garden parsley has been going wild! It had to be culled, and I didn’t want to braise something so I could make a gremolata. So, for the first time, I tried a chimichuri sauce. Pulled out a flank steak from the freezer so I would have something to put the sauce on. Well, I like chimichuri sauce! It was bright, spicy, and herbaceous. A little research indicated that steak in Argentina would be served with a potato salad and a salad. But, they like Potato Russe which Mr. SMT hates! So instead I made a vinegar spiced salad, substituting pickles for the olives. Pictures don’t seem to be with salad, which was just dressed with some vinegar and olive oil.

9 Likes

You can use all your parsley for a proper tabbouleh salad! Ottolenghi has a few recipes that are great and use a crazy ton of fresh parsley. (I swap in cilantro insead of mint because i don’t like mint in savory dishes)

2 Likes

Stopped at my new neighborhood Whole Foods on my way home tonight and picked up the 365 meatless balls i love yet haven’t had in forever. I sautéed a huge pile of chard with onion and garlic and then added a good glug of marinara from a jar and the meatless balls. I had picked up some olive bread and scooped the saucey mix over the slice of bread and topped it with nutritional yeast. Wine while cooking, second glass with dinner.

4 Likes

I never eat dinner at 10pm at home but I landed in Krakow, Poland in the evening. The photos again of that because I had to move them to its own album.

Window seat.

Last rays of the sunset. Minutes after making this photo it was dark so I got lucky with this shot.

Sandwiches and Hungarian pickles, served in enamelware. Found this place via In Your Pocket guide Krakow. Good thing they open until 11pm and that my lodging is only a few street away.

Name of food is stamped on a napkin. Goose breast.

A very long pickled pepper.

The meats sold here have been cooked until extremely tender. We liked the first 2 we tried. They even have decent (craft) beers on tap and in bottles. There are more meats on the menu and more beer to try so maybe we’ll return before we leave.

Poland has been through so much but we are only here for a couple of days to drink beer, no time for a lesson in history. Maybe next time. I know there will be a next time.

Drink fridges next to me. One can just open and grab something then pay at the counter. Notice the name “John Lemon”.

7 Likes

It’s a nice crisp morning and I’m appreciating the break in humidity. Tonight’s dinner will be broiled swordfish with anchovy garlic ghee and a side salad with avocado oil mustard balsamic vinaigrette.

2 Likes

You see, you say tabbouleh and I hear meze platter with 5-6 different items, grilling lamb, making pita breads. Just thinking about tabbouleh exhausts me!

Still a good idea! :slight_smile:

My husband, who is not a fan of shellfish, is away for the weekend. My son came over to grill up a few things. He tossed some calamari, shrimp and onion rounds with gochujang, garlic, ginger and canola and quickly grilled them. We tossed them with some soba noodles and a leftover compound butter that he had made from black garlic, miso and soy. Sounds like a strange combo of things, but it we were pretty happy diners.

10 Likes

Looks like a great find for a nearby late dinner! Help yourself drinks fridge should definitely be A Thing. And the john lemon drinks sound worthwhile! Pear lemonade!
http://john-lemon.pl/en/

1 Like

Nah, you just need a batch of Dizengoff hummus and the pita or crudite to scoop it up with.
(Well crap, now i want tabbouleh and dizengoff hummus!!)

Yes, pear lemonade. Even I was tempted and I don’t drink that kind of thing.

I have been enjoying myself so much and it’s been only 24 hours being in this country. Seems like the (young) people have it good here. Still you encounter Poles all over the EU, mostly in the western part where the pay is higher (as is cost of living).

So many photos of the market, my lunch, dinner and beer tastings today but I’m so knackered that I just can’t deal with them right now. Check out this almost useless private kitchen in my room. Only good for boiling water to make coffee. Only the gas cookers work but it’s mine!

2 Likes

Seared the bejeezus out of a very heavily fat-capped TJ’s pork belly to crisp it up as much as I could. Into a hot oven with a blood orange syrup and Sriracha glaze spooned over it. Could have been a little more Sriracha’d. But yes, I ate the entire damn thing.

Israeli couscous and steamed green beans alongside.
Wine before and during.

11 Likes

That looks luscious.

1 Like

I am in a massive food coma after consuming almost an entire 12" pizza. Levain crust with an overnight ferment - good but not as good as when I can give it 3 days. One white with six cheeses and creamy roasted garlic sauce, the other with pepperoni, hot soppressata, green olives and peppadew peppers. I also bought a pound of gorgeous basil today at Restaurant Depot, which I used to make a ton of pesto, so that got smeared all over my crusts. Oh, and wine. Lots!

7 Likes

Saturday is our local farmer’s market, the day that we generally restock all things green. But, we still had zucchini and broccoli from last week, plus I need to continue my potassium binge. Solution? Tempura! Dinner was supposed to be the leftover flank steak plus the platter of tempura, but I skipped the meat and just ate vegetables.

Prepped vegetables (usually I would use white onion but they had gone bad. Red is delicious too!]:

Ready to eat. And yes, this turned out to be a ridiculous amount of food:

We only ate about a third.

9 Likes

What’s the sign in the oven say?

1 Like

Can’t be used :frowning:

I wouldn’t want to use it in this heat today anway (early 30C/90F).

Carne Asada, Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, Salad, Radishes, Cukes, Green Onions & Blue and White Corn Tortillas:

1st fresh peppers from Garden are in the pico.

6 Likes

One of the biggest regret, during my Asian trip, I seldom used the reflex camera anymore but opted only for the telephone for photos. Today I looked at some of the pictures, they weren’t as good as I had thought. So no more telephone camera tonight.

Chicken liver tonight! I heated up the cast iron wok with high heat and poured in the trimmed liver for 5 minutes, it didn’t really sticked onto the wok. I poured some lemon juice and added some minced garlic at the end of cooking. I also added a bit of olive oil before stirring in the salad leaves. Quite satisfying meal with some pasta cooked with green olives, anchovies and tomato sauces.

5 Likes

Some of your recent photos on imgur, we could no longer see them, unfortunately.