What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

Last night I wanted someone else to cook, so we headed to Zoe’s, our local Chinese restaurant. Sadly, I wasn’t able to eat much so there were lots of leftovers which became tonight’s meal. I made a fried rice with the leftover rice and dry-fried green beans. I left the lamb with cumin alone, just heating since it was pretty darn good.

5 Likes

I totally just made another batch of that fantastic kimchi salad again tonight, definitely obsessed with it right now. Baby arugala for the greens, added some crumbled and sautéed tempeh in a little sesame oil so it was a meal salad. And i can’t wait to have my leftovers for lunch tomorrow…!

4 Likes

That’s rather disappointing. I have never experienced pre-brined fish here.

Monkfish is a nice firm and meaty fish, now costs twice as much. If you ever see it somewhere else that has not been pre-brined give it another go.

Colours! Orzo mixed with a diced beetroot.

5 Likes

admire your patience in making the pleats
Although that was how I was taught growing up,
nowadays, I just use a fork to close the round chinese store bought dough, fold it in half like ravioli, crimp it close with fork, pan fry it similar to cooking pot stickers, as I make 100 at a time and freeze them or use the same ingredient to make Siomai which I steam.
So little time , so much work!

2 Likes

what are those red (?pepper? next to the smoked salmon?
I visited a friend yesterday who bought a bag of organic beets from Costco.
I tasted it, not too enthusiastic with the taste but like the color
Only use beets when I make chicken salad ( poached chicken breasts with drained fruit cocktail, an extra granny smith apple, potatoes and beets ( from a can as hey do not have beets in the Philippines) cut up into pieces like the fruit cocktail, mayo chilled. It is a meal by itself esp when it is chilled for outing on a hot summer day. I prefer it to the ordinary chicken salad with just potatoes.
I found out beets especially the none pickled ones are good for BP and dilatation of one’s vessels. Tried to look into history as I remember you use beets a lot in presentation but cannot find the board. beautiful beet powder as well as salad or side dish?

Kind of a Maryland thing. Fried chicken, steamed mixt veg, and linguine baked in a cheese and crab sauce topped with a little Old Bay and bread crumbs:

Linguini is garnished with chopped tomato, green onion & parsley.

8 Likes

I made my monthly trek up to Karl’s Sausage kitchen to buy bacon. This time of year, I buy some thinly sliced [they hate that!] and more thickly cut since the tomatoes are almost ready for BLT’s!! Also picked up some smoked ham for sandwiches and Weisswurst. And the Weisswurst was dinner with a pretzel, sauerkraut, and Bavarian mustard.

For my AirBNB guest, I decided to make some Almojábanas, a Columbian cheese bread. I have no idea if my results are within the realm of what is expected. I will have to wait for him to tell me!

5 Likes

After 27 days straight of getting the house ready for sale I will be finished tomorrow at noon :cocktail::tropical_drink::champagne: My neighbor is bringing some pasta over for dinner , she says it’s not that good and needs some fixing up . Sure I can do that . Let the party begin .:tada:

8 Likes

@emglow101… yea! The food is least of your worries. Get that house on the market, sell that puppy!

1 Like

Well now I’m out of both kimchi and radishes so it will be at least another 24hr before i can resume my salad obsession…!
I decided to use up some random veggies by making okonomiyaki, i don’t keep eggs around so i poked around The Google and blended together some soft tofu with a bit of cornstarch and a lot of nutritional yeast and added in shredded cabbage, carrots, a bit of bell pepper, some scallions, and sliced very thin radish greens. The silly thing took a while to cook but came out well and very tasty, i topped it with toasted sesame seeds, some crumpled nori sheets and a dribble of mayo/soy sauce/rice wine vinegar sauce. And more nutritional yeast.
Dessert will likely be a big spoonful from my new gifted jar of Big spoon roasters coconut almond butter (!!)

3 Likes

Tomatoes and kumquat.

thanks.

Super simple baked haddock with furikake and sesame soy sauce

Late lunch of a lackluster grocery store sandwich. Sitting here waiting for the Art Walk folks to trickle in but it is muggy as hell so I’m not expecting much…

I’ll get home from work around 10:30 so picked up a small pizza at the WF-ish market which will get heated and devoured by 11.

Happy weekend.

Oh - there is wine. A whole bottle of mediocre white calling, begging me to do some quality control at the hospitality table. Since it is mediocre I’m staying strong!

4 Likes

I’m sitting on the train, 10 mins from home, and despite a fridge full of groceries I have zero clue what to make for dinner. Except wine. It has been that kind of a week!

The weather is supposed to be on the cool side tomorrow, so I will be willing to turn on the oven for once. I am making pizza dough tonight for a nice overnight ferment.

5 Likes

It’s wine time .:wine_glass: Cheers

2 Likes

Just got here this evening and had sandwiches for late dinner. Rest of pics tomorrow.

The sky is so close!

Krakow sunset.

2 Likes

Spaghetti Carbonara and a salad? Hope some friuli pinot grigio is in the fridge to go with.

Nothing like working 30+ hours in 3 days to catch up from taking 3 days off from work. :-/

I slaved over dinner - leftover chicken, leftover broccoli, leftover green beans. Putting it on the plate and into the microwave and pouring a glass and 2/3 of wine was the “slaving”.

Chocolate chip cookies I baked on Monday (or was it Tuesday?) for dessert. I had 4 of 'em. And might go back for a 5th.

4 Likes