What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

I met visiting friends for lunch today at a vegetarian dim sum restaurant!! I was SO excited since i love dim sum but veg options can be limited. We totally over ordered (no carts there) and then they insisted i take home leftovers since they have dinner reservations and leave in the morning.
So for dinner i needed greens and made some sautéed chard with garlic and sesame oil. Leftover turnip cake, mushroom bun, and “shrimp” rice roll which maybe my favorite. All dipped in mix of black vinegar with soy sauce. Still enough leftovers for at least two lunches too! :smile:

7 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is Moo Shu chicken and tofu. Served in tortillas rather than mandarin pancakes.
Weather has been really warm with no a/c. Have been bbq’ing quite a bit but just ran out of propane the other night.

3 Likes

had that for lunch over rice with guava paste from brazil for dessert.

Last nights meal . Calamari with a pot of cassoulet beans , put some cochinita sausage and a little smoked pork into the beans . FM salad mix with oo, and salt . Wine to drink :wine_glass: Cheers .

10 Likes

Yum! Like a lot cassoulet! I seldom eat this in summer as I consider it a quite heavy dish. I never tried it with calamari though, looks interesting the combination. Needs red wine with it, I agree!

Summer in Santa Cruz is 64 degrees and foggy . LOL .

2 Likes

Grilled flank steak with pesto; pan-roasted cherry tomatoes topped with ricotta alongside. One of our favorite easy summer meals, and looks like the Italian flag to boot!

4 Likes

It’s good to be home again! Air travel is so much of a hassle now, I hate it! When we have American style TSA at all European airports then I would go with plans B or C.

We brought with us Polish sausages and ate them at the airport whilst waiting to board the plane home. There was 1 left in the cabin bag and when I had to open it a couple of times everyone got a strong whiff of garlic in their general direction.

Last 2 beers at the airport.

Wherever I go I always make photos of medieval doors or their beautiful handles.

7 Likes

love this medieval handles

1 Like

Amen.

In Europe, if it’s less than 4 hours, I like trains.

Overnight ferries are good too.

1 Like

The “magic” freezer has provided the past few nights of foods. Last night, I pulled out a short rib chili. Very Southwestern, and I bet it was a Bobby Flay recipe. I could have sworn I made it two summers ago, but the date on the bag stated 2012. Love vacuum seals. It was in perfect condition! Eaten with some refried black beans that I made with some onion and garlic.

Tonight, the farmer’s market tomatoes were close to ripe so I made a Pico de Gallo to accompany our Carnitas Tacos. Made a cabbage and carrot salad, with pickled some red onion and serranos that I quick pickled.

Tomorrow’s food is a mystery. I have some eggplant and lettuce that need to be eaten. That isn’t a meal just yet.

6 Likes

I decided to celebrate Ripe Avocado Day with socca! I found the part of a bag of chickpea flour in the freezer this morning while looking for batteries (dumb wireless computer trackpad) and i just made it stovetop like pancakes with salt/pepper and olive oil.
Topped with some mashed avocado, slices of smoked tofu, cilantro, and arugala. The cherry tomatoes wouldn’t fit! Pile of lightly dressed arugala on the side with more cilantro and the tomatoes. I tried to pick up and eat like a taco but that just made a big mess…!
Nice quick and easy dinner. I have one leftover pancake that will probably be breakfast with the other half of the avocado.

3 Likes

New August edition is here, let’s move over!

3 Likes

Did you ever use chayote more? I have never had it but on a cooking show it was julienned in a salad. The flavor was described as a combo of pear, green apple, and cuke, which appeals to me. I could use some advice in what to look for when selecting them in the produce aisle.

I’m not meatn3, but chayotes are perfect for salads- i find the flavor very mild. Just look for one with smooth skin (no wrinkles or discoloring) and firm like a cucumber, soft spots are no good. You can eat the skin, it’s pretty thin and not tough. I’m lazy so i just wash it well and don’t bother peeling.

1 Like

I slice it thin, cook it with ground pork, lots of garlic and sometimes shrimp paste and or fish sauce and hot pepper
Good with rice

1 Like

I have cooked with it several more times. It’s a nice blank canvas for stuffing. I haven’t used it raw yet. Ttrockwood describes what I’ve looked for. It keeps pretty well for a few weeks without being refrigerated. I have forgotten about it and had it sprout. I need to do that soon and see how it does in a pot on the deck over the summer.

1 Like

This article about people in New Orleans trying to reestablish chayote/mirlitons after Katrina is interesting. Has recipes too!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #32 - the Spring Has Finally Sprung! Edition - April '18

Ok, so I know this is 3 years old, but I have been reading old stuff to keep my kitchen mojo. This made me laugh so hard that I woke up the 14 year old, hard of hearing dog. Was inspired to watch that movie because of a running podcast I love, and glad to get the reference. ‘By Grabthar’s hammer!’

1 Like