What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

am leaving today for Va for grocery shopping a Pentagon Costco, and Asian stores.
My son had guests for dinner and sleep over yesterday.
Served store bought pizza etc for lunch as they went to Solomon’s Island in cars ( boat is in the shop)
For dinner, we had corn on the cob grilled on infra red grill with butter and old bay, cheese brought by guests, guacamole with tortilla chips from Whole Food, cracker, romaine lettuce dipped with Datu Puti’s coconut vinegar, cucumber asian style with sesame oil, mirin, soy, vinegar, pepper and red cracker pepper and of course, oysters on half shell with lemon and tabasco and crabs from our dock. The guests were treated late last night the sate babe that was not frozen. It must be midnight . Of course, there was beer, wine and alcohol till 3:00AM
Did not take pictures as they would not understand, too difficult to explain. Party was outdoor and the food was not in one place , it was placed on different tables.
However, the Sate tasted good, I only had enough for every one to have a couple stick as I froze the rest of them for another party, which would be seafood paella . My son requested sate babe to accompany the paella. I am teaching him how to cook paella but still do not know how many guests are coming.
So, let me know ow your sate turned out,
If yo are cooking for one on an indoor girl, korean charcoal beef would also be excellent choice.

3 Likes

The usual summer mess of last minute dinner.

7 Likes

Looks like delicious chaos! Do i spy a watermelon slice hiding behind the mustard…?

Good eye!

1 Like

SV’ed a bunch of stuff this weekend. This is the first thing.

SV pork loin, rare, then seared. Added fennel seeds to the grinder. I love fennel seeds. Go so well with pork. This is 1 of my favourite flavour combinations: lentils, cream, pork, asparagus, Riesling. There’s Riesling in the cream. Also, we ate the last kilo of asparagus today. No more is being sold anywhere now so that means it’s truly over till next spring.

Gratuitous photos from my garden: my lavender attracts lots of bees.

Bees are vanishing all round the world. Read about the tremendous importance of bees now (if you haven’t yet).

5 Likes

Hey WFD gang - if you’re interested in participating this quarter, head on over to the Cuisine of the Quarter voting thread to vote for your favorite summer cuisine: Summer 2017 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING THREAD

Nominees this round are Italian, Californian and Vietnamese. Great choices to make use of all those summer herbs and other produce!

2 Likes

I was torn between Californian and Italian. My two favorites.

1 Like

Smoked amberjack fish spread on pita chips while watching the sunset this evening on the beach, drinking some cheap Pinot. The best we could find on short notice

3 Likes

I found this recipe a while back and had put off making it because feta and i don’t get along so well but it felt like an important part of the recipe. So i found a recipe from a well known source and made tofu feta! Ha! Basically just a marinade that was very simple, did that this morning but it will probably be better tomorrow. Very tasty and has a similar texture and salty brined flavor
I used an english cucumber instead of persian and a bit less lemon zest. This salad was SO good! Felt fussy because i make so many toss it in a bowl creations but this was worth the effort. I stored leftovers with the dressing seperate, probably lunch tomorrow.
Hmm. I just saw bon app thinks this makes 8 servings?? Maybe for vegetable haters who only want two bites? That’s hysterical. I apparently had four servings for dinner.

6 Likes

Mostly fat and bones but it tasted good. Garlic makes everything taste good.

Lemon thyme and marjoram from my garden. There’s all kinds of vegs in the salad but you only see tomatoes, pomegranate seeds and greens here. Only 1 piece of rhubarb is visible, the rest is underneath. It’s a sour salad to go with fatty lamb.

Flatbread is Armenian lavash, imported from Germany. Comes in big sheets, I cut them in 4 even pieces. As for the lamb, it’s more like mutton but nothing wrong with that. SV rare, then a good sear. Tender mutton it is.

2 Likes

Salad with sour orange dressing, picadillo cubano, & moros y cristianos:

6 Likes

Mr. SMT brought home a lovely head of cauliflower from the farmer’s market this weekend. This was paired with some potatoes [always thinking about potassium] for a simple Indian dish. The rest of the meal came from our Indian spot… tandoor chicken wings and some chana masala. Sometimes I just need an assist. Today was one of those days. Though I had planned to make my own chana masala, but even though I had them soaking, it felt like too much.

No pictures. Too hungry to wait.

4 Likes

Assists are good . I use them all the time .

Had some defrosted meatballs that needed used so we made a quick meatball sandwich with provolone and a drizzle of chimichurri. Salad with lots of veggies for the side.

2 Likes

Linda, we did not eat the Sate Babe on Friday as my son arrived home very late, had guests on Saturday, whole day affair lasting till Sunday morning after breakfast, for raw oysters, crabs, snacks etc . They stayed over Saturday night, so at midnight, I grilled the Sate slated for dinner Friday evening. Did not take pictures but did take picture of how I I skewered the meat to give maximum exposure to the grill. Here it is. Hope this works. I froze most of the Sate to grill for this coming weekend’s seafood paella party. I usually prefer mostly seafood in my paella aside from andouille chorizo as an ingredient for the soffrito .

4 Likes

After guests left Sunday, went to Arlington Va to shop at Costco ,Asian Store etc. Dinner was carry out from Fortune Restaurant in Falls Church, ( Sea food Singapore Noodles, Sesame Chicken, Braised with mushrooms no picture taken ). Also 2 bags of little neck clams from Wegman’s. Had Chinese style clams and black bean sauce last night but still have one bag of little neck clams that I have to cook for lunch today. Probably will cook it in my cataplana with white wine and squids from freezer, Portuguese style with white wine. for lunch today. Second picture is partially eaten clams showing the broth .

Here is picture of last night’s stir fry clam in black bean sauce. Side is leek cooked in EVOO with shallot and red pepper. ( Upset bec I left a big bag of garlic in my friend’s car in Va, so have to cook garlic from emergency bottle of chopped garlic from a bottle the next 2 weeks)

7 Likes

A quick dinner of pan seared amberjack with lentils and salad

5 Likes

Same dinner 2 days in a row. The legs were so meaty we couldn’t possibly finish everything. Bits on top are garlicky grated bread (grated and fried in Mangalitsa fat with minced garlic).

Today: almost the same, without the belly pork, new garlicky breadcrumbs.

Have been frying everything in Mangalitsa fat for over a week now. Need to use up everything so I can turn off the fridge.

PS: this is my Mangalitsa fat brought back from Hungary.

What a Mangalitsa pig looks like. Much prized in Hungary and there’s not enough to go around so it’s OK if tourists don’t like it.

6 Likes

We are still in the process of moving into our new house
Fingers crossed we will close on our old place on Monday,
this of course means we have to get the last of our belongings out

We have had several really nice meals here that I did not photograph because I am still getting used to my surroundings which screws with my timing and sometimes I’ve been too tired to care. I have only taken a few pictures of food. Also our new neighbor has been helping DH and he is often here at meal time and so, stays to eat … They are strictly meat and potato guys … I throw in a
salad or veg when they are not looking. They do seem to have no problem with panzanella salad though, most likely because bread is involved!

Spareribs on sale for $1.99 a lb

Tri tip resting

Pork chops, I bought the meat at Old World Market in Nyack, these were incredible

Country Style ribs on the BBQ excellent and a great buy at shoprite $1.77 a lb

Brisket, smoked on / in the webber

sliced tri tip

hotdogs cooked in oven on convection, I over cooked them but was told they were still okay

sorry, half eaten bacon bleu burger, I was unpacking while eating

local zucchini with whole garlic and diced onion, cherry tomato, oregano (ritz cracker crumbs) and corn so the guys would eat it (photo was taken before it was put in oven)

cuke, string beans, dill, vinegar, sugar, salt

White trash sundae: coffee and salted caramel ice creams, cracker jacks, sprinkles, whipped cream

coffee ice cream with salted peanuts, Hershey’s special dark and whipped cream

-
and that’s all she wrote … looks like a two year old designed and executed these meals/dishes !!!

9 Likes

Where bouts are you in meat and potato country ?:relaxed: