What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

That sounds pretty darn good! I am thinking a thin slice of really good swiss-style cheese would not be out of place. :slight_smile:

Tonight is a version of Khoresht Gheimeh. As it’s midweek and I don’t have as much time as normal I have replaced the lamb shoulder with chicken thighs and the split peas with green lentils. Also adding pieces of acorn squash as it.s in season.

For afters is shoo bought yoghurt which is a seasonal special of spiced apple and quince.

2 Likes

Feeling under the weather – a huge storm named “Calamita” is headed to much of Italy :closed_umbrella: – so dinner was chicken legs and thighs simmered in white wine and lots of aromatics. Ate plane crackers and had prunes for dessert. Made me feel better. :runner:

2 Likes

Sunday I made a “stew” of sorts. Browned some chunks of beef shoulder roast, removed from pan, and added an onion, a few carrots, and garlic. Then in went a large can of diced tomatoes, some red wine, water, salt, pepper, fennel seeds, and a few sprigs of rosemary. Put the meat back in and let it all cook for a few hours. Last night I warmed up some of this concoction and kinda smashed up the meat. What resulted looked more like a nice meaty sauce than stew, so it was served over rigatoni with a healthy added dose of red pepper flakes and parmesan.

2 Likes

A friend of mine gave me some beautiful, huge dried morels I’ve nuked in BTB shortly after having soaked them for a while, then chopped them up. The morel sauce (shallot, butter, flour, some kinda booze TBD, thyme) will be served over pan-roasted MR pork tenderloin.

Side is my favorite ‘winter’ salad, b/c I have most ingredients in the house (save for the fennel): blue cheese, toasted walnuts, pomegranate, shaved fennel in a vinaigrette of roasted walnut oil, RWV, mustard, shallot, s&p.

2 Likes

WFD: Today from our Fresh Catch CSF share we’re getting Pollock from the F/V Captain Dominic out of Gloucester Harbor. On the menu tonight is Broiled Lemon Thyme Pollock with Brussels sprouts, and more cole slaw.

After seasoning with S & P the fillets are slathered with a cold sauce consisting of: mayo, lemon jest and juice, minced shallot, anchovy paste, crumbled thyme leaves. Broiling time is only about 6 - 7 minutes, till the fish flakes easily.

Roasted Brussels sprouts, marble potatoes. quartered onions :olive oil, S & P & garlic pdr, onion pdr, RPF, lemon jc (425/45 min.)

Remaining cole slaw augmented with shaved carrot, sliced radishes, chopped scallions, cider vinegar.

4 Likes

Wow. That fish prep sounds really delish, Gio!

1 Like

Thank you Sweetiepiehoneybunch.

Another green & yellow meal - I need to change it up! Leftovers salad of lacinato kale, chickpeas, spiced roasted golden cauliflower, sautéed oyster mushrooms, roasted pepper, sheep’s milk feta, toasted pine nuts & a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette.

7 Likes

That sounds marvelous! Did you use the Moonan broil method?

We are picking up our 2015 lamb on Sunday so time to clean out the remaining bits of the 2014 lamb. Tonight, lamb burgers, stuffed with feta cheese, served with pickled local onion, and a large green salad with a roasted garlic-lemon dressing. We will eat leftovers tomorrow, and I think they could use a bit of a harissa-mayonnaise.

Here they were are waiting for the grill, hanging with the pickled onions. Three are 4oz, the other two 5 oz. When they were cooked, no one was willing to pause for picture taking.

5 Likes

Pork Chop & Chinese broccoli w/ shallots, garlic & peppers. A fast weeknight dinner.

3 Likes

Tenderloin with morel sauce came out awesomely. I really oughta make this more often.

7 Likes

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Planned dinner was breaded chicken cutlet, gravy, boiled baby potatoes with green onion, butter, sour cream and a green salad. Imagine my surprise when the chicken breast turned out to be a bundle of bacon. Nuked sticky bourbon chicken from the freezer to the rescue. 'twas tasty.

2 Likes

A close friend called and said he had a case of supper high prime ribs from NYC (whole sub primal) for a great price. Yield was (14) 20 oz steaks. OMG were they good.

PS: The one is a choice supper,market steak.

8 Likes

We just bought a second half lamb. Local and grass fed. Theirs are SO good. Tastes like L. A. M. B.!!!

Actually, no. I completely forgot about it. Silly me. Here’s what we did:
Preheated broiler. Oiled broiler pan.
Put fish, skin side down, on broiler pan, sprinkled w 1/4 t S & P (total).
Whisked together sauce ingredients, spread it evenly over top of the fish.
Broiled 5 - 7" from heat til just cooked thru, 6 - 8 min.

This was full of briny spicy flavor and we both loved every bite.

That sounds perfect given the sauce component. The “kids” made salmon a la Moonan tonight. In fact, they prepare salmon this way at least once a week. Such a great cooking method.

1 Like

Totally agree about his method, SMT. Always just right. Good for the youngsters. They have a great teacher!

Lousy pic but tonight’s salmon patties were outstanding! Wild canned salmon, 2 eggs, lots of slivered preserved lemon, curly and flat paraley and chives from the garden, caramelized onions and a touch of garlic. They were coated in the man’s leftover salt and pepper potato chips. :slight_smile: Creamed spinach under them. Fast, easy and super tasty.

5 Likes