What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

Alea iacta est: the NYT recipe for Greek chicken stew I linked yesterday. I’m always excited when I’m making a dish for the first time (plus I rarely ever follow recipes), so I hope this delivers.

4 Likes

Sautéed the ceps and (small) king trumpets with garlic. Meat was a thick Berkshire pork cut (x2, has a rib bone and rind intact) which was marinated in a dark beer called Westmalle. The meat (Berkshire) is always a bit expensive but when the organic butcher has it I can’t walk away without it. No time for photos today. Maybe the butcher has the same cut again next week. Photos next time, maybe. Pink hue and well marbled Berkshire…

4 Likes

Serial shroom envy over heah! And… brilliant minds apparently think alike: I picked up a tenderloin (albeit no fancy Berkshire) for tomorrow, and was thinking of a brandied morel sauce.

Any idea for a nice side (non-carby “preferred”)?

Hard to think of non-carby sides as I’m not a non-carber! I’m thinking caramelised apples and/or parsnips. Too early for parsnip, however. Hope your fellow non-carbers can give you better ideas.

I’m a Krauthead… I can eat almost anything with (Sauer)kraut! :smiley:

I think it would be perfect, actually, with peewee potatoes or some fat pappardelle… maybe if I can exert any sense of self control and not go overboard, either of those would be the ticket.

1 Like

Wonderful sounding pizzas and bagels, SMT. I envy you your baking marathon. That’s one of the things I miss.

WFD: Spaghetti Puttanesca: Canned anchovies in oil; dried chiles; salt-packed capers; Pomi chopped tomatoes; Gaeta olives; spaghetti; parsley. Authentic, Researched, Naples.

WWFD: Steamed Lobster, zucchini frito, sweet potato fries, salad, chocolate mousse

4 Likes

there is NOTHING like homemade bagels, my former neighbor used to make them and run some over to me still hot – boy do I miss that!!!

Saturday I made lamb stock, yesterday I braised some gorgeous Icelandic lamb shoulder chops in the lamb stock, tonight I will defat it and enjoy with mashed potatoes and long-braised tomato-ey green beans. Obviously I am eating good food but boy do I miss salads and other things with fiber. Hopefully not for much longer. You all continue to inspire.

2 Likes

Chicken curry (from a paste starter) and basmati. Not the most thrilling dinner, but chicken thighs needed using up.

1 Like

An old standby around here… green chili chicken “enchiladas” with roasted peeled chilis standing in for the tortillas. Arugula, tomatoes and avocados on the side.

4 Likes

Lotsa soup around here. Last night: curried kabocha squash, spiced pepitas, homemade kale chips & pomegranate.

This afternoon: spiced yellow lentil soup with red chard.

7 Likes

Simple fish and broccoli. Corvina and the thin belly from a steelhead trout fillet. The broccoli was pan seared also with a bit of gochujang and fish sauce

5 Likes

A thumb injury (gardening, not cooking) resulted in thaw and dump dinners this weekend. Tonight I mananged a fried bl pork chop with fig chutney, yam hash and a salad of romaine, red butterhead, yellow cherry tomato, celery, fennel, green onion with miso vinaigrette dressing and sage, apricot goat cheese crumbles. Strange combination, but somehow it worked.

3 Likes

Those “teeny tiny potatoes” from trader joe’s would be ideal, just roasted with evoo and S&P or of course crash hot potatoes always work
Or less carby wedges of roasted cabbage roasted with evoo with a good schmear of grainy mustard or dijon afterwards…

To properly celebrate Ripe Avocado Day i decided tacos were in order. Except… They were toastadas by the time i put everything i wanted on top! :smiley:
Some vegetarian refried beans, shredded cabbage, a few cherry tomatoes, green onion, the avocado slices, fresh cilantro, a blip of salsa on a corn tortilla. Good stuff.
Other half of the avocado will be mooshed on toast for breakfast.

3 Likes

Upcoming…pork & chorizo meatballs.

I’ll probably brown these in the pan, finish in the oven and serve them up sat on the floppy leaves that characterise a “proper” British lettuce. They may need a dab of the garlic & chilli sauce that I got from the asian shop. Alongside, I have some passata that needs herbing up - it’ll then be the cooking medium for a tin of butter beans. And, for a carb, there’s a pack of a ready to eat mixed lentil & quinoa that should work with everything else - maybe warmed through in the microwave.

4 Likes

Not knowing that yesterday was RAD I had 1/2 an avocado mooshed on toast this morning for breakfast. I’ll have the other half tomorrow; a large Hass bought 3 days ago it was perfectly ripe this AM. Deelishus.

1 Like

What bread do you use for that toast?

On a good day i’ll have half a toasted pumpernickel bagel :)) today i had to settle for thick pumpernickel regular bakery loaf