What's for Dinner #16 - 12/2016 - the (sometimes) Crazy Holiday Yule Edition

Looks to be just the way I like them - well done and crispy. Thanks! Maybe next time I head to Costco.

I ask for well done

Been there!!!
looking and sounding delicious as always
and thank you for the much needed and appreciated,
perhaps not believed positive message

1 Like

Nice cat photo.

This thread needs more gratuitous cat shots.

8 Likes

As a Spartan, we thank you. Hope the orange was tasty.

I love crab louie ā€¦ I only eat it when I am in San Francisco, which is not often enough. I rarely if ever see it here on the east coast ā€¦ bring back crab louie!!!

3 Likes

So, to the last meal in what has probably been the most significant for my country during my lifetime (and not in a good way).

To nibble on while we cook - smoked salmon, cream cheese, blinis

To start - potted shrimps

Main course - roast rib of beef, roast spuds, parsnips, steamed cabbage, Yorkshire salad, gravy, horseradish sauce

Cheese - thereā€™s still a mountain from Christmas - Bournesā€™s Cheshire, Leagrams Lancashire & Blackstickā€™s Blue

To conclude - lemon tart - or, if ya wanna be posh - tarte au citron (supermarket buy). By the by, my dessert of the year was the lemon tart we ate at Michelin 1* Murano in London back in September. Faultless.

10 Likes

perfect!

I think Iā€™m drooling!

1 Like

Gratuitous kitty selfie, my parents ā€™ kitty Pigs. (His full name is Pigwidgeon but we only call him that when heā€™s in trouble)

8 Likes

Sounds like a fantastic meal!
Whatā€™s in a Yorkshire saladā€¦?

Last cooking project for the parentsā€™ freezer was calzones, which i made with pizza dough i talked their favorite local shop into selling me. Somehow calzones are scarce in their area and they love to order them when they come to nyc. Iā€™m a total amateur so theyā€™re a bit ā€œhomemadeā€ lookingā€¦! Hahaha. Insides were spinach/ricotta/mozzarella/roasted garlic and sliced field roast italian sausages. About six more went to the freezer.

Since dairy hates me i had one without the cheese. Steamed baby artichokes alongside with a quick lemony mayo (best foods in CA).

10 Likes

They look great to me!!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a couple of versions. In our family it is simply thinly sliced onion and cucumber steeped in malt vinegar. Iā€™d never heard of a different version until I Googled for it a couple of years back - the variation adds thinly sliced lettuce and spring onions to the basic mix.

Champagne is open . I am cleaning out the fridge .
New York steak ) After watching Francis Mallmann I have decided to throw the steak on the coals with the fire I have going . Salted . Cooked rare . Since there is champagne , I will make a sauce of champagne , butter ,shallot , and some cream to drizzle over the thinly slices of steak , then top with coarse black pepper .
Baguette ) Sliced lengthwise one half inch thick . I will saute in olive oil lightly , drain . Then I will top it with a traditional tarte flambe topping . Bacon , onion , creme fraiche . Cut into toast points .
Eggs ) Hard boiled , quartered . Served with baby dills and Dijon .
Happy New Year :wine_glass::confetti_ball:

8 Likes

Francis Mallmann ā€¦ I like your inspiration :slight_smile: bon appetite
Enjoy ā€¦

2 Likes

A large charitable donation to the Salvation Army this morningā€¦my, look at all of that room in my closets and dresser! And a bit of an extra tax credit come tax time canā€™t hurt.

Then to Whole Foods to pick up a few things for some appe-teasers for today, since I didnā€™t have breakfast.

Mid-afternoon Scooby Snack was Manchego cheese with membrillo (quince paste) and Marcona almonds; crostini with goat cheese, fig and pear jam, prosciutto and a few drops of a 40 year aged balsamic; red grapes and Satsuma orange segments. A glass of white while I noshed.

Dinner was duck breast with blood orange-balsamic-Sriracha drizzle, Israeli couscous and steamed green beans, with a glass of Ecco Domani Merlot.

Dessert will be a couple of mini-desserts from WF - Iā€™m leaning towards the chocolate tart and the creme brulee tart. A glass of Licor 43 will be alongside.

I doubt Iā€™ll make it to midnight but weā€™ll see what entices on the TV, as Iā€™m not inclined to watch Dick Clarkā€™s New Yearā€™s Rockinā€™ Eve without Dick Clark. It just ainā€™t the same. Maybe Iā€™m just too old.

So - letā€™s say farewell to what ended up being a not-so-good year, and send out wishes for something better. Happy New Year to all.

10 Likes

Ohhhh, I want to kiss that nose! Many cuddles to Pigs!

1 Like

That sounds good to me! Somehow i donā€™t end up buying malt vinegar very often, Iā€™ve made something similar with rice wine vinegar but will certainly give it a go with some malt vinegar soon. I love anything in a vinegar or brineā€¦

A last minute decision to make my DHā€™s familyā€™s traditional xmas bread meant I was at the store when it opened this morning. Then we went up to my folks house and baked four loaves of Poteca. While driving to deliver a loaf to my in-laws we were lucky enough to catch this awesome double rainbow. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s a sign that 2017 will be okay??

My dad was cooking a pot of slow cooked shredded pork so we got dinner to go as a bonus.

11 Likes