What's for Dinner #16 - 12/2016 - the (sometimes) Crazy Holiday Yule Edition

I basically followed this recipe, but i added more garlic and used a bit more olive oil. I used the wild rice blend from Lundberg (which i love) for the total amount needed instead of mixing the brown rice with wild rice. Oh, and i added a big spoon of dijon and hefty amount of black pepper towards the end of cooking since it needed a little something

Shredded roast duck, spätzle and duck gravy sauteed with onion, frying pepper, tomatoes and peas:

Served with grated gruyere & wild chive:

5 Likes

Nice garnish job on the soup!

That’s quite a different recipe from most I’ve seen. Very thick too. The soup normally thickens quite a bit but that looks almost like an oatmeal consistency? Did you like it?

Most I make are with mushrooms.

I’m curious about the white bean/cashew addition. I could understand the use for making a mock cream base, but most wild rice soups I’ve seen don’t have milk/cream in them and get their creamy texture from the starch in the wild rice- maybe from a complete protein aspect?

1 Like

One of my archived comfort foods .
Smoked Kielbasa , sweated , not browned , with onion and a clove of garlic . Add whole baby red potatoes and fresh bay leaves . Add some red wine vinegar and cook off for a couple minutes . Chicken stock to cover . Cook until potatoes are tender . Now add green cabbage leaves , cook for a couple minutes until tender . Ladle into bowl and garnish with a little Dijon .

6 Likes

I made a beef stew out of the prime rib left from Christmas dinner, using my new Instantpot (thanks Santa).

I also made some seriously messed up kolache, which were sadly ugly, but quite delicious. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Soups are commonly served in a little caldon like this one. Hungarians are fond of caldrons. They are part of their nomadic past.

A lot of soup. This is half litre of broth, plus potatoes and meat.

Hungarians are especially passionate about soups and stews. This one is beef stew.

I thought this sounded a lot like Slovak national dumpling dish with sheep’s cheese and Speck called “Halusky”. Hungarian version uses pasta and cottage cheese.

The whole meal cost eur.17, including 2 glasses of Tokaj wine and service charge. Things cost less here than in the capital. Noice!

Forlorn train station at sunset. The train comes every 2 hours, the rest of the time the place is empty. Made this photo during the second wine tasting at a place right across from the station.

5 Likes

Breakfast for dinner (the Cupboard was bare)

9 Likes

Oy, I can’t believe it took me a few minutes to realize what this is!

1 Like

I definitely added more stock than it calls for, so it wasn’t as thick as their photo, but not a brothy kind of soup, really a nice filling entree style soup.
I think the cashews/beans is both to make it thicker and also to up the nutrients so you have more protein and fat so it’s more satisfying.
Adding mushrooms sounds fantastic to me!

1 Like

drrrrooooling over all this! those eggs! those ribs! those noodles!

1 Like

I love the bagel at the end of the pix of the Chinese food. The ribs do look great as does the rest of it.

2 Likes

I like Goldberg’s bagels, Yonkers … but you have to pick the ones you want, they lack quality control

Long day. Had hoped to leave by 1 p.m., but didn’t get out of work until 4 p.m. Oh well. The work year is over. Not that Tuesday isn’t going to be insane, but at least I have 3 days off.

Came home to start cleaning out my closets for a donation to the Salvation Army tomorrow. One half of my closets are done. Will get the rest tomorrow morning.

So an easy-peasy meal for tonight: Sketti and Sawce, grated Parm-Reg, and a crusty buttery roll.

Wine, you ask? Pffffttt. I poured THAT when I got home. Silly peeples. :wink:

And note the Fat One in the background fascinated with the TV, his usual M.O. when I turn it on. Commercial, TV show, whatevs…he’ll watch it.

12 Likes

Me too .:wine_glass:

2 Likes

I’ve heard they are good but you have to get there early. Kind of hard from where I live!!

call them they will put aside whatever you want
if you don’t like the looks of the bagels you don’t have to
take them … the bagel sticks, pictured below are insanely good
I think they refer to them as twists

7 Likes

BF made unintentional lamb sliders tonight - he thought it was ground beef. poor him, yay me! they were delish. topped with a little gruyere, very crispy bacon, and a little asiago on toasted little rolls. tomato/shallot/bacon/palmito/olive salad on the side, and little fried marble potatoes.

off on a short trip for the NYE weekend, hopefully back in the kitchen sometime next week!

Happy New Year, everybody! Hope 2017 is not nearly as bad as some of us fear it may be!

12 Likes

My dinner tonight was an entire head of treviso; barely sautéed, with lemon juice, olive oil, white balsamic, Vietnamese fish sauce, and a sprinkling of blue cheese and saba.

I also had a very good navel orange to celebrate Florida State’s white-knuckle, one-point win over Michigan in the Orange Bowl. (And a celebratory Cointreau with soda and bitters. :tangerine::tropical_drink::yum:)

8 Likes

Fat chance, mc.

6 Likes