What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

A day off today . Went out for eggs benny this morning . Then clam chowder and calamari for lunch . I’ m just chillin with a bottle of pinot . Going to fry some Spam slices and top on this fantastic artisan bread from my friend . This one has Castelvetrano and Kalamata olives in it . Will toast the bread and top all of it with a fried egg . Simple and tasty .

3 Likes

Trying to clean out the fridge last night, simple meal wild salmon oven cooked, with onion salt and black pepper, cucumber salad. Finished the meal with mango sprinkled with espelette pepper.

Going to Bordeaux this weekend of Toussaint

3 Likes

I have to make room in my freezer, so tonight I pulled out some passata and Italian sausage and made a sauce, then cooked up some meatballs I had made using the Mozza recipe, sautéed mustard greens, and oven-toasted bread with compound butter. All from my freezer.

Now I must figure out a use for many baggies of frozen bread crumbs and egg whites.

5 Likes

Last night was out with my SIL, who is in from Los Angeles for a work-related thing. We went to the local pub last night for drink, eats, and lots of chat.

Late start after my SIL left to go visit my Mom before heading down to stay with my sister before she heads home tomorrow. I dashed up to Butcher Boy Marketplace, and I found dinner. In fact, I found dinner for tonight and tomorrow. A drive home in yet another downpour…but at least it’s not that other 4-letter word.

Tonight was pork tenderloin medallions in an apple-apricot-mustard sauce (apple cider, apricot preserves, and whole grain mustard), creamy orzo, and sauteed green beans, carrots, and red bell pepper sprinkled with a mix of Penzeys’ Sunny Spain seasoning and Italian Herbs.

There was wine. Because I didn’t have enough last night. :-o

3 Likes

Went to FM this morning . Picked up sunchokes , ciopollini onions , eggplant . Decided to put them in a baking dish along with bay leaves and sage from the garden . I’m tossing them into my pellet smoker . Cooking @ 275 until finished . Also have one of those small racks of lamb from Costco . Rub with a little Dijon and rosemary . That’s going in the smoker also . Never have cooked a rack . Figure I’ll just crank up the heat to finish . I want it rare and then cut into lollipops .

4 Likes

Or use your smoke to do a reverse sear technique. Smoke at the lowest temp you can then finish on a high heat grill or stove to crust up the exterior without over cooking

1 Like

I’m thinking of doing that . Low temp then pull the rack off . Crank the heat up to high and put the rack back on just to sear it .

Risotto with onions, carrots, peas, lemon, Parmesan, and a bit of prosciutto on top. A nice warm dinner at home. We spent the whole day looking at tile, stone, appliances, sinks, and kitchen plumbing…wow, stuff is expensive!

Last night we drove into downtown LA for a concert. Had drinks and snacks at the historic Millennium Biltmore’s Gallery Bar (the ceiling and bar are beautiful) then after the concert we stopped and shared some smoked potato taquitos and a green chili patty melt.

z

5 Likes

Trying to use up some oxtail meat

5 Likes

Good drubbing of the Bills today by the Patriots. On to Seattle! (after a bye week).

Tonight’s dinner was a braciole, of sorts. Store-bought @ Butcher Boy yesterday, it’s a rolled flank steak stuffed with spinach, garlic, parsley, and mozzarella. Seared, then removed and the pot was deglazed with red wine, before adding in a tetrapak of chopped tomatoes and sauce, about 1/4 cup of (previously) caramelized onion, some tomato paste, and blended it all together. The meat went back into the sauce, covered, and it simmered for about 3 hours, turning the meat occasionally.

A “slice” (it fell apart) served over buttered and parsleyed pappardelle with a sprinkling of grated Parm-Reg on top, and roasted Brussels sprouts alongside. Wine.

Gratuitous pic of the cuddle buddies this morning.

8 Likes

Smoked two racks of ribs today and should have done a third - they were delicious and three of us finished them off! Roasted cauliflower for a side - coated it with curry powder before roasting, then tossed with a relish of sauteed serrano chiles, scallions, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds to finish. Spicy and fabulous.

7 Likes

Fried chicken with a butter milk , and Crystal hot sauce marinade . Dredged in flour and shallow fried . Mashed potatoes , and peas cooked in butter .

4 Likes

Regional German food, name is “Schupfnudeln”, a kind of dumpling. Very easy to make but takes some time.

It can be eaten in this meal right after boiling, but I prefer to fry it in Speck fat. Served in restaurant in south western Germany briefly fried in Speck fat. I eat this in Germany whenever possible.

6 Likes

Nothing but microwaved leftovers . It’s a busy night handing out candy to the trick or treaters . I have Dove bars , Hershey chocolate , Twix , Skittles , Nestle Crunch , and Snickers .

1 Like

Sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes are absolutely my favorite root vegetable of all time…!! The ones in CA grocery stores are much larger and somehow more flavorful than what i can find here in nyc. I started making a jerusalem artichoke soup as our app for xmas dinner years ago and now it’s expected.

Last night was one of my favorite easy meals, tofu triangles in peanut buttery sauce which has converted several anti tofu friends and family in the past. This recipe is wonky-so not use 1/4c soy sauce! 1TB is good. I flopped the hot 'fu and sauce over a pile of fresh spinach which gets perfectly wilted that way.

Tonight was (another) depressing desk dinner, nothing special vegetarian tom yum soup from the thai place nearby. Meh.
Big glass of wine once home for dessert.

Or “Bubespitzle” in the popular vernacular…

I’ve started a new WFD thread for November here:

1 Like

That tofu triangle recipe sounds great. I have everything I need to make this. Maybe an after-school snack for tomorrow?

The last of the oxtail went into a quick meal of oxtail with BBQ sauce with jalapeño chips

3 Likes