What's for Dinner #13 - 9/2016 - Waning Summer Edition

Love the look of that lamb, and Alfie’s cute little nose doesn’t hurt either! We had big fat steaks and roasted peppers for dinner tonight - Costco had prime rib caps (i.e. ribeye deckles) rolled into steaks this week, and since the deckle is my favorite part and I almost never see them sold separately, I splurged and bought a package. Simply seared in butter with salt, then I let them rest in a pile of chopped fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil. Poured the browned pan drippings over to serve. Mmmmmmm deckle. These were a little heavy on the silverskin but once trimmed, the meat was excellent. I only finished half of mine so I’ll get to enjoy it again sometime this week!

2 Likes

Was there a significant difference between using the dry hominy vs tinned? I buy the tinned stuff frequently but have never soaked and cooked it…

Steamed eggplant, it’s my new favorite thing.

1 Like

LindaW, the lamb is perfect.

Bookwich, I love aubergines every which way! My top 3 vegs, after tomatoes and asparagus (white asparagus to you)!

Last night the partner wanted to eat Pho. The restaurant was full, half of the customers were Asians so I took it as a good sign. Ordering was easy and efficient using a sheet from which you pick your dishes. I had a feeling this place is owned by northern Vietnamese. I did ask on my way out whilst paying the bill. A Pho restaurant run by southern Vietnamese will hit you with a southern Pho smell. This one hardly did.

We live in food hell and have no exposure to “exotic foods” so almost everything tastes good to us when we are abroad. Toronto has far more ethnic food options but we are in Montreal… It’s no Paris, or California, or Sydney but we are not complaining.

An employee confirmed their Pho is indeed northern Vietnamese style. I prefer southern. The partner enjoyed it, nevertheless. This Pho has “everything” in it.

The bowl is so huge. I couldn’t finish it.

I looked round the room and saw how some people ate. It appeared some of them clearly had no idea how a dish is supposed to be eaten. I would appreciate some written instructions somewhere on the table or the menu. Or just observe or ask an employee. I thought it was cool that in some restaurants in Japan a server brought you the food and showed you how to eat it. I appreciated that.

4 Likes

I thought so. The flavor was much more “corn” like and the texture was better. Some of them even blossomed into wide open little corn kernel flower like things. I think the canned stuff often has a gummy/rubbery texture and not much taste. Besides the passive soaking time, which admittedly requires some pre-planning, it was not much more involved.

Thanks I suspected as much… I do a good sized rancho gordo order in the fall and will be sure to add the hominey! Due to my meatless status i’ve never had posole, but i think that will be a good one for my winter stew rotation- I postpone the stew/soup as long as i can since that’s WFD most nights in the winter

I think a vegetarian posole would be great. I went chicken as opposed to pork because it’s what I had, but a rich veggie broth supplemented with the chilis…sounds perfect. I aslo added the veggies we had on hand and almost forgot to add the chicken breast meat back in so I don’t think we would have missed the meat. It was about 100 here this weekend, but hey, the wind is blowing, and with the a/c on inside, I can close my eyes, eat my soup, and pretend it’s fall. :maple_leaf:

1 Like

When does fall start around here ???

Korean short rib tacos:

2 Likes

Safe travels. Have a wonderful time. Take good notes :wink:

Tonight I tossed some Patagonian scallops over shredded brussel sprouts.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Yikes that’s still some hot weather you have! I’m thinking i’ll toss in some big white beans so it still has some heft to it…
There’s a chill in the mornings now, probably still a few weeks from full on soup weather

I picked up a fantastic loaf of spelt bread yesterday from orwasher’s- it’s heavy and very dense packed with various whole grains and seeds and raisins.
I (of course) got home quite late, toasted two slices with a little olive oil in my pan, then topped one with some smashed avocado, lemon juice and smoked salt. The other slice got dijon, tomatoes, hummus, and thin sliced kosher dill (seriously great combo)

1 Like

Gonna keep our Weber going as long as I can into Fall. Tonight, hamburgers (75 / 25) on the grill, complimented by a nice garden salad using the last of our tomatoes. Tomorrow, thick loin cut Pork Chops with roasted Russet potatoes.

2 Likes

Wow. I want all of that food. And the kitteh!

2 Likes

Miso Ramen with grilled teriyaki chicken:

1 Like

We did go back to the Banh Mi shop we missed the first time around. The also have a few kinds of soup. It’s a Banh Mi shop that also sells soups and some Vietynamese foodstuffs.

A kind of noodle soup

Another kind of noodle soup

Just got to the capital today. Makes Montreal looks poorer and gritty.

7 Likes

Korean last night. The restaurant is in a residential neighbourhood and in a former house. It’s soooo dark in there. All the eating and drinking places are so dark that people struggle to read the menu. I’m not there to suck face. Had to resort to using the flash on my camera, the only option I had. Food was good, though.

Pork bone soup. We ate all the meat hidden in the bones.

My first Bibimbap in years. I should make it at home.

Their homemade kimchi is nice. Too bad I can’t bring it back to my lodging.

5 Likes

Gorgonzola & Provolone burgers with Thai Ruffled Basil on seven grain toast; heirloom tomato salad with chive & parsley; and buttered baby sprouts:

7 Likes

Wonderful photos!

Sketti.
Sawce.
Cheeeeeeeze. (on top)
Crusty roll.
Butter.
Wine.
DInner.

And a lamb-barley-veg soup made with the rest of lamb roast to feed Mom’s freezer.

2 Likes