What's for Dinner #13 - 9/2016 - Waning Summer Edition

The lettuce salad is beautiful! It all looks good, but I do love a gorgeous green salad.

3 Likes

I made pizzas on naan bread, some with fresh mozzarella and basil, and some with cheese, mushroom, and thyme.

At the last minute I realized I didn’t have any tomato sauce in the freezer. Fortunately, I found a some cans of Italian tomatoes in the cupboard, so I made a quick pizza sauce. But it was was kind of annoying, this was supposed to be a quick, dirty-pan-free dinner. Oh, well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome, Bookwich. Glad you have found us.

Asian food in Quebec City is rubbish according to all so of course I had to find out for myself.

Amateurish kimchi ramen (miso broth). Unfortunately, they added the hot sauce to the soup without telling me. I don’t like it when sauces are added to the broth before I get a chance to taste it first. Good that it wasn’t sriracha, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to enjoy anything in the bowl. Ordered extra kimchi on the side. It’s never enough kimchi.

Miso ramen. Better than the above without the hot sauce.

OK dumplings. I could make it better.

From yesterday. I meant to eat these as part of my own light dinner in the hostel where I’m staying but after eating them I went back to the supermarket and got 2 more boxes. The taste is like meat. I mean the savoury flavour of meat. So good.

So tiny but so delicious!

First time I had oysters that taste a bit like a steak

7 Likes

Fantastic meals, MC. I miss my own food now.

1 Like

Cannot wait to see all the amazing food (and drink!) you’ll be eating (and drinking!)

4 Likes

Was having a craving for Indian food last night so I made a quick chicken makhani, inauthentically served over steamed broccoli. Sauce was just onion, garlic and ginger softened in some butter, then a handful of raw cashews and spices (garam masala, cumin, coriander, cayenne) added to toast. Once everything was lightly browned, I added tomato paste and water and let it simmer a bit, then threw it all in the Vitamix while the chicken was sauteing and zapped it until smooth. Dumped the sauce over the partially cooked chicken, added half and half and lemon juice and let it simmer until the chicken was done. Really good. The raw cashews make the sauce SUPER silky and rich.

2 Likes

That sounds lovely!

Clean out the fridge dinner.

Had a basket of mushrooms that needed to be used.
Chicken Marsala over leftover cauliflower mash

5 Likes

Last night i stopped by a new to me bodega (looking for some hard cider!!) and was thrilled to discover it’s owned by a middle eastern couple- they sell homemade baba ganoush and hummus! Also a few imported goodies- where else but nyc would you find imported sheep’s milk cheeses next to the soda in a little 24hr bodega?? Ha! (See photo)

I picked up some baba, pita, medjool dates, and a little bottle of pomegranate molasses. Dinner was a pita with lots of baba ganoush (it was delcious!), added in lettuce, cucumber, chopped tomatoes and some slices of extra firm tofu - haha, it was kinda huge.

Tonight I finally made a legit meal! One of my favorite quick tofu recipes that even devout tofu haters love. I just flopped the saucy fu over a big bowl of fresh baby spinach that got perfectly wilty. I’m lazy and refuse to press tofu, just used regular extra firm drained well

5 Likes

Two new kinds of oysters today. Not as good as the meaty tasting ones from yesterday, however, and they were more expensive. The sale ($5 off) was over so I’m glad I got it a bit cheaper. Regular price is $CAD27.

The above is better

Free advertisement for Fuchia

Gratuitous photos of Montmorency waterfall, 50mins by city bus from the centre of Quebec City.

The waterfall. It’s no Icelandic water fall but cool nevertheless. I like to get the spray all over me standing so close to the base (earlier). This way I feel and hear the force of nature.

6 Likes

Not much cooking this week so I’m glad it’s finally the weekend. Last night was some smoked turkey kielbasa, mac, and a green salad.

Today’s project is posole. My box of goodies from Rancho Gordo came this week and now I have two bags of hominy. A chicken is simmering for stock and hominy soaking. Off to read some recipes.

3 Likes

Quiche semi-fail this morning. I had a pie crust in the freezer, from a batch that I messed up with too much water and fixed by adding more fat/flour after the fact, so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, I messed it up further by getting it too warm while thawing it in the microwave, and it just slumped into a hot mess when I tried to blind bake it. So, I dumped it out onto a cookie sheet, flattened it as much as I could, and just baked it into a big crisp. I baked the quiche filling (sausage, thyme, apple, onion, gruyere) separately (crustless), and served slices of quiche with crust on the side. It worked well, actually, because the crust stayed nice and crispy, and you could have as much or as little of it as you wanted with each bite of quiche!

4 Likes

I had hoped to make a chicken dish with figs, but Hannafords didn’t have them and I didn’t want to drive to WF. Remembered I had some sour cream in the fridge, and it’s perfect weather for Chicken Paprikash. Served on egg noodles with peas alongside (along with a requisite glass of wine). Dinnah.

3 Likes

Dunno why these didn’t load before- the cheese was so tempting but dairy hates me so i knew that wouldn’t end well

2 Likes

Hippie bowl tonight in anticipation of an indulgent boozey brunch tomorrow with friends :grin:
Sautéed greens with sliced smoked tofu, cherry tomatoes, and what was kind of an israeli salad with garbanzos and hemp seeds added. Mug of miso broth to drink, a new to me yellow miso that is nice and creamy, more mild than the dark and funky kind I usually get

1 Like

I have a reaction to kimchi but I still like eating it. The benefit outweighs the slight disadvantages.

1 Like

Another day another sort of oysters :pig2:

Price-performance ratio is good. Many oysters are deformed which made it just a bit harder to find the hinge (but I got them all to open in the end).

2 Likes

The posole was really good, but I sense some room for improvement. I read a few recipes and then used bits of each. Sauteed a large shallot, two garlic cloves, and a diced tomato which were added to fresh chicken stock. Added the hominy and let that cook for a while. Also blended a few more tomatoes with a two rehydrated chipotle peppers and added a few spoonfuls to the soup. Somewhere in there some Mexican oregano went in. About 30 minutes before dinner, added some diced carrot, summer squash, chicken breast, and juice from two limes. I served over some finely shredded cabbage and topped with avocado.

Maybe a bit more heat for the leftovers.

6 Likes

I do posole when I make carnitas. I use the leftover broth I cooked the pork shoulder in.

It’s delicious, rich, and easy.

1 Like

A lazy day catching up on DVR’d shows (“Designated Survivor” looks like it’s going to be a great show). A favorite meal for tonight - roast leg of lamb rubbed with olive oil, herbs de Provence and garlic, roasted potatoes, and green beans. Wine. A 2nd helping picture to show it was a perfect medium-rare. And a gratuitous picture of Alfie.

7 Likes