What's for Dinner? #1, the Inaugural Edition- through 10/17/2015

Chicken & salad came out polí orea.

7 Likes

I had dinner with Hannibal Lecter and Clarice, there was no liver, fava beans and a nice Chianti, but there was grilled pork tenderloin, basted with plum ketchup, grilled (charred?) brussels sprouts, peppers, onion & garlic and a salad of purple kale, spinach, avocado, fennel, shallots with a honey mustard dressing and a nice Malbec.

7 Likes

Long day. Dinner was (thankfully) an easy one. A Frankenchicken breast was lightly oiled with olive oil, and sprinkled with some Victoria Gourmet’s Ginger-Citrus seasoning mix (I augmented with some extra dried Meyer Lemon zest). Into the oven to roast at 400° for about 30 minutes, then turned the heat down to 350° for another 20 minutes - basting once or twice.

Steamed green beans alongside half of the Super Boob. It was tasty. And gives me some leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.

6 Likes

Tonight was family dinner. It was clear that it was time to use some of our Spanish saffron. In fact, I was directly told, that Saffron Rice needed to appear soon! So, I made a quasi-Turkish-Persian dinner. Chicken thighs were prepared with lemon and salt as if for a tandoori, but instead I used some yogurt and a spice blend the Spice Guy in Istanbul talked me into buying. I served with a tomato salad made from local onions, the last of my garden’s cherry tomatoes, feta, garlic, and a bit of olive oil and Turkish oregano; a green salad with a lemon vinaigrette and the most lovely Spiced Saffron Rice from Roden’s Mediterranean cookbook. What a rice, and the chicken wasn’t so bad either.

Clearly, I need to get a camera into my kitchen. So many mouth-watering photographs on this thread.

7 Likes

You described your dinner well enough, I can picture it. And am drooling :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Stove top penne and cheese (cheddar, smoked cheddar, and fresh mozzarella) with broccoli rabe mixed in. And, bratwurst on pretzel buns. Mine with mustard, pickles, and sauerkraut. No kraut for DH. Someone was being a mooch.

7 Likes

Its in the what are you drinking today thread but good as it was here it is again .

4 Likes

I haven’t had this one before. Guess I have much to learn about Scotch. Thanks for the photo.

So i took the white beans add and the peppers. Started with garlic and anchovies added red jalapeno white beans and huauzontle which is pretty much pig weed but the closest thing to rapini. The peppers were super hot even seeded so i am glad i love the burn some hard white cheese crumbled on top. With French red a Franco-Italian-American confusion

6 Likes

Thanks Scubadoo! It was.

That looks like a dish that could easily appear on MY dinner table (except that, truth be told, I’ve had “terrible, horrible, no good, very bad” luck with most fish preparations I’ve attempted, except for salmon). So you subscribe to a fish CSA, or something like that? What a great idea!

That’s a masterpiece on a plate, GHG!

That face! I hope he got at least a taste :innocent:

3 Likes

Yes, Gio and I are both very lucky that we live within the area served by a Community Supported Fishery which was started by the Gloucester Fishermans’ Wives Association. Some principle as a CSA but with fish. http://www.capeannfreshcatch.org/ I think meatn3 joined a similar one down near Chesapeake Bay (?) or somewhere further south.

3 Likes

It’s Friday, so most of my old peeps from that other site know what that means: cheeborger club & fries at the local pub, a few tunes with my boys, then a night cap or two at the CBDTR.

Happy weekend, y’all (which also happens to be the first weekend here in over a month with no home game!!! Woot woot.

4 Likes

Yeah - it’s a hard face to resist. But, alas, no sausage for the dogs! They do, however, love red wine. And PITA need not worry, we are talking about tiny tastes from my finger. No beer though, as it causes sneezing fits.

2 Likes

l, what temp do you use for roasting please?

The poor, abused puppy. No sausage, no mac and cheese. :wink:

1 Like

375, mid rack. Usually takes about 45 min, then I finish them under the broiler till the skin’s all crispy.

1 Like

This is Diana Henry’s chicken and chorizo paella from Cook Simple. I make this A LOT.

10 Likes