What's for Dinner? #1, the Inaugural Edition- through 10/17/2015

Love a good sandwich and these sausage would make a great one unfortunately I somehow reside in an urban bead desert/cupcake forest it is the bane of my existence that I have to go significantly out of my way for decent bread all the time surrounded by bakeries and I don’t have any no knead ready to go ):sob:

That stinks! Oh well, your pasta and greens idea will work nicely :)wine_glass:

1 Like

WFD tonight is an all-time favorite at casa lingua: NYT Trini-Chinese chicken.

I’ve fried it once, but found that I get better/equal results on the grill or roasting and finishing off under the broiler for extra crispy skin.

Sides TBD. I have a large English cuke I might have to turn into smashed cuke salad or some such.

2 Likes

I had an after work event last night so DH ordered us a pizza and salad timed to arrive with my return home! Yeah. It was easy and delicious and there were leftovers for DH’s lunch today.

Meatless Monday was meaty this week as it was Canadian Thanksgiving, so I’m making up for it tonight with a frittata- mushroom, tomato & feta, with a sprinkle of oregano, and a green salad (mixed greens with my homemade lemon-dijon vinaigrette)

Also making some hummus tonight for veggie wraps for tomorrow’s lunches.

2 Likes

Tonight is haddock with a lemon butter sauce. To go with a lentil stew. Sweated leeks and carrots in butter. Add chicken stock and green lentils, yoghurt stirred in at the end. Don’t know what it is about white fish with lentils but one of my favourite combinations.

4 Likes

Haddock with a zesty crust, adapted from the cod recipe of Diana Henry’s in Cook Simple. I served it with roasted potatoes, pepper and home grown tomatoes.

8 Likes

Thank you, it tasted mighty fine.

Well, I lied. It’s almost summery outside, which always makes our brains go “Greek”… so, TCC will have to wait. Instead, I’m marinating the BISO thighs in olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon pepper, oregano, thyme, rosemary, paprika, crushed garlic & kosher salt.

Might even hafta grill them since it’s so nice outside. Side will be a proper Greek salad, tho the supermarket tomatoes likely won’t do it justice.

3 Likes

It’s Haddock night in the Hungry Onion kitchen…
WFD: >> Haddock Pizzaiola. Tonight we’re having another go with our favorite way to bake white fin fish. It’s basically the fillets, seasoned, ladled with tomato sauce, showered with dried basil and oregano leaves, grated Parmigiano on top, ending with bits of fresh mozzarella, Bake @350F/25 min. Seriously delicious! Believe me. Some peeps may want Italian bead to get all the pan juices.

Steamed broccoli crowns
Baked Japanese Murasaki Sweet Potatoes. This is a new vegetable for us and I’m excited to taste it. It’s supposed to be denser and less creamy when baked than the ones we’re used to but with a unique flavor close to chestnuts, and sweeter. We’re simply going to bake them in their skins, in the oven, then mix in some cultured butter.
http://www.easterncarolinaorganics.com/produce/murasaki-sweet-potatoes

3 Likes

Grilled (whole) chicken with oregano is rather nice. As is “village/country salad”, of course.

Guten appetit!

(Oink Oink
Posting from Thessaloniki)

3 Likes

Stop teasing me :stuck_out_tongue:

The first Hatch chili was this year’s batch was so incredibly hot that even a tiny piece made my dish inedible. Hope the rest are milder.

Tonight it’s brined pork tenderloin with a gravy made from the last container of “Trotter Gear” found in the freezer , oven roasted root veg and roasted squash. Dinner has to have something orange to match the leaves out there. Drop dead gorgeous at this time of year.

3 Likes

Ground pork jalapeño rice bowl. A bit of this and that of a stir fry with some sweet onion, summer squash and half a red pepper. Pretty tasty and used up some things I had in the fridge. Plus, colorful and quick. :smile_cat:

9 Likes

One of the things I like about SV cooking is being able to make dinner with little effort in short order

After getting home from work and rooting around in the freezer I found a vac bag of 4 chicken thighs that I had previously cooked SV and froze.
These were put in a 165 bath to warm through while I went outside for a cigar and a pour. After coming back in these were tossed in a 350 oven while I peeled a few potatoes to make a mash. The bag juices made a quick sauce.

5 Likes

Can you post a photo of your Scotch?

Last night, we needed to use up the end of the poblanos from the Earth Boxes and I wanted to savor the end of season corn, so dinner was Marcela Valladolid’s corn, poblano and zucchini lasagna. It is certainly not a light dish, but quite tasty. A bit of fresh corn, garlic and butter are simmered with heavy cream and blended until smooth to form a sauce. Onions, garlic, zucchini and roasted poblanos are sautéd in a bit of butter to form the veggie layer. Oaxacan cheese (I used Oaxacan this time, but think I prefer regular mozzarella here) and no-bake lasagna noodles rounded things out for a delicious, different meal. We all enjoy this dish and I make it once or twice a growing season. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic.

Tonight was a quick meal of flounder piccata, roasted green beans with thyme, shallots and garlic, and a baked Russet on steroids. Pretty tasty, but I didn’t have the heat high enough cooking the flounder so it was a little pale and limp.

No cooking for the next several days for a variety of reasons. I’ll definitely be monitoring this thread, though, and drooling.

7 Likes

Seared scallops, cucumber-radish salad, ginger veg stir-fry (bok choy, snow peas, carrots, shiitake, enoki, kabocha, scallion, chile), and a yuzu gastrique.

8 Likes

That looks absolutely delicious