What’s a good cheese with crystals.?

Parmigiano and aged gouda

I really, really should know this, but how do I search for a thread on HO please?

Good, isn’t it? However, I don’t think I could tell it from a good cheddar if I was blindfolded.

1 Like

That one was my answer to the question in the thread title “What’s a good cheese with crystals?” I discovered it just a few weeks ago. I think I could identify it blindfolded, at least with the cheddars I have in my refrigerator at the moment.

My answer to the question in the original post “What is your favorite cheese with crystals?” is Parmigiano Reggiano. That’s my favorite cheese even taking into account cheeses without crystals, too.

2 Likes

I’m not particularly fond of cheese with crystals, so don’t buy it too often. But the Red Fox, mentioned upthread is good. It’s readily available in British supermarkets.

Although a Red Leicester, it’s not made in the county but in Whitchurch , Shropshire. Belton Farm makes a wide range of regional cheeses - Cheshire, Double Gloucester, Sage Derby, etc.

If you’re in to Red Leicester, although no crystals, look out for Sparkenhoe which is the best of the genre I know. If you come across the Vintage version, even better. That’s aged for 18 months, as opposed to the 6 for the ordinary cheese, so much drier.

4 Likes

@RobinJoy click or tap on the pale grey magnifing glass at the top right of the page.

A box will pop open and you can type your search query there.

Link to We love Cheese! thread: We love Cheese! (Note: in that or any long thread you don’t want to read all the way though, you can scroll down quickly using the blue bar on the right next to the black 1/number signifier.)

1 Like

I was going to say the same thing , but I chose purple :joy:

Nice that we can link to the search easily, too.

https://www.hungryonion.org/search?q=Cheese%20crystals

1 Like

So many ways to sort and filter, not that I’ve used too many of them yet :upside_down_face:

https://www.hungryonion.org/search?context=topic&context_id=27214&q=Manchego

![image|394x700]
(upload://uOlI4cqyHLfCvdEHBRoBQQLWqd7.jpeg)

2 Likes

You wonderful woman!

In spite of all the time I’ve spent here, I’d never noticed that (and I can’t, for the life of me, explain why I’ve not noticed it.).

4 Likes

You can also click on the date of the first post (top of the blue bar) to go directly to the OP.

2 Likes

If you only knew how hilarious my colleagues at work would find it that I am somehow a technology guru this morning. :rofl:

4 Likes

Welcome!

I love Parrano, which is an aged Gouda. It’s become harder to find near me, though.

Where are you, and what are your favorites?

Of course! Thank you.

1 Like

Cabot clothbound cheddar from Jasper Hill. My husband’s absolute favorite!

4 Likes

Welcome @kumquat!!

Wot Gretchen said.

Thank you @GretchenS and @Harters. I’m a longtime CH reader who just made the jump!

2 Likes

I think you’ll fit in very well. First post - cheese. Yep, our sort of poster. :grinning:

4 Likes

Wot John said. :grinning:

3 Likes

Double recommend on the Seaside Cheddar that @GretchenS recommended (which @Harters cannot get in the U.K., at least he couldn’t when I last gave him some to try - looks like it’s available in Whole Foods in the U.K. now, per a quick Google). It goes by several different names, depending on the store/supermarket that sells it. Gretchen, I just saw it in Market Basket last weekend - forget the name and didn’t take a picture of the label, but the name is similar to Seaside. Unless it is called Seaside and my brain is just blanking out. (Highly possible)

And I love a really good aged Parm-Reg with the crystals. I’ve not had a Manchego with crystals - will now have to look in Wegmans next time I go.

1 Like