What baking pan liner do you use?

I’m getting too old and impatient with rolled parchment paper, and looking for something more convenient. I am thinking of getting either parchment in flat sheets, or teflon sheets that can be cut to size.

What do you use for most of your baking … Parchment? Silicon mats? Old fashioned oil and flour pan method?

1 Like

My companion in life, who is the baker of the couple, uses both paper rolls and mats. I can’t check just now if there’s anything that decides which to use but, from observation, I’d say it’s mainly the paper.

1 Like

Buttered mold, rarely with flour. Sometimes I use spray. Silicon mats and rolled parchment paper will be the next. I’ve paper in sheets, but prefer cutting to the size I need.

2 Likes

I’ve been using large flat sheets from KA. I find it easier than using the rolls which always seem to curl up. I have a couple of the silicon mats, don’t like them. Cookies spread differently using the silicon mats. They also always feel greasy no matter how soapy I get them.

3 Likes

Yes! I will still use the mats when possible to save paper, but the amount of soapy water it takes to clean them might negate any environmental advantage. If you heat them and clean them straight out the oven, you can get most of the grease off but it’s such a pain.

1 Like

I bought a thousand of these a few years ago, thinking I would never run out. Looks like I’ll need a refill soon. They fit half-sheet pans perfectly.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bakers-mark-12-x-16-half-size-silicone-coated-parchment-paper-bun-sheet-pan-liner-sheet-case/433SLINER2.html

I used rolled parchment paper. I don’t have room for flat sheets. I found that it wants to roll up, which is really annoying. So now I just crumple it up, and then open it up gently. Voila! Now it lays flat!

For things that are going in a pan of some kind, I use aluminum foil and baking spray. I can easily make a sling in the pan, because it molds very nicely to the shape. Then I spray it liberally, or butter liberally.

The beauty of a sling is that I can pull it completely out of the pan in one piece. No more praying to the release Gods and pieces of baked goods still left clinging to the pan.

3 Likes

Good tip. OR place a dab of grease on the pan at corners, then “stick” parchment layer down. No more rolling up.

4 Likes

Thanks. What is KA?

I think it stands for King Arthur

1 Like

Or flip it over, so the curve is facing down (convex?) - meaning when you put something down on it it flattens out.

3 Likes

Parchment paper (first) followed by olive oil spray from a hand-pump sprayer (no propellant so nominal benefit to environment).

1 Like

King Arthur.
Sorry, I hate it when I read and don’t know the acronym. Ruins the flow.

1 Like

I’m not much of a baker but I doubt there’s much of an alternative to parchment. I use it for many things around the kitchen and love it.

1 Like

ETA (too late to edit): my experience with silicone as mats and containers is that getting them really clean is awkward and generally fruitless.

3 Likes

Indeed. But one reason I “glue” parchment down is that it is so slick that it can slide off cookie sheet (sending hot cookies across the kitchen floor. Take it from me…)

2 Likes

Parchment, precut sheets. Used to come in whole long roll but now only sheets. I crumble a sheet into a ball then open it. It fits better, doesn’t matter what form of dish or casserole. It also doesn’t tend to fly round in the oven as I often use fan function.

To keep the corners from curling/rolling up or flying round you could put forks or knives near the corners.

I got a reuseable sheet and tried it a couple of times but hated it. Cleaning it is so damn irritating. I’ll probably toss it soon.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to find something useful for them.

1 Like

Any votes for non-stick foil? I’m no baker (no sweet tooth), but I use it a lot for pan lining etc. and it really works well.

1 Like

Rolling out pie dough or shaping bread.

1 Like