What are you baking? March 2022

I think it’s because a new user can’t post a link immediately, only after a few posts. Remember those spammers?!

3 Likes

Love Key Lime Pie (yours looks amazing!), and I seriously LOVE your HO name and bumblesnail avatar! LOL

2 Likes

That looks terrific and my mouth is watering!

2 Likes

Oh that looks delicious! Is that whipped cream on top, or meringue? I’m a whipped cream gal! Welcome to the group, and thanks for providing some inspiration!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s whipped cream! And thanks to everybody for the warm welcome!

3 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Baking topics organisation

Hi all, this is my second post and it’s a Bakewell tart. The filling is cranberry jam which is very pleasing with the almond topping. The topping is very similar to a frangipane, almond flour, sugar, egg and a little flour. I found the tart to stay fresh for several days, it’s roughly adapted from a Dan Lepard recipe.

18 Likes

Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese (not buttermilk) frosting. The recipe copy I captured years ago says “Adapted from Brigid Callinan”. I made these to celebrate my grand-niece’s 2nd birthday via video call. She had chocolate cupcakes with blue frosting, and candles were in the dinosaur-shaped cake that she didn’t want cut (but eventually allowed). Grin.

A half recipe yielded 20 cupcakes. Despite what looked like a goodly amount of spice, these were pretty tame. The recipe copy said “best same day made”. I’ve now frozen most, but It will be interesting to see whether the few I kept out develop some depth of flavor.

16 Likes

Which spices did you opt to use? I enjoy a pumpkin muffin recipe my sister adapted and it includes fresh mace. Lovely photo and I also enjoy small batching where possible.

1 Like

@Rooster - I used all the spices listed in the recipe, although reduced the nutmeg slightly since I was using freshly-grated. For the half-recipe (2 cups of flour) this was: ground cinnamon (1 1/8 t), ground ginger (1 1/8 t), ground cloves (½ t), freshly grated nutmeg (scant ½ t)

3 Likes

Thanks for the add’l batter detail. On the cream cheese icing, what is your go to?

@Rooster -My cream cheese icing is one learned from my grandmother long ago as the “correct” one for carrot cake, scaled down. For this batch of cupcakes I used 1 T. softened butter, 3 T. softened cream cheese, 1 C. powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Mash the butter and cream cheese together with a fork, mash-in the powder sugar, stir in the vanilla until frosting is smooth. (Optional add 1/2 tsp. milk if needed to get your preferred consistency; I did not need this time). I came up a bit short - frosted 19 of the 20 cupcakes.

5 Likes

Yep, learned the same from my family. Thanks. Always pays to ask.

1 Like

Baked off a batch of olive oil popovers (past photo) for the mid-morning meetup. We spread BRINS grapefruit-rosemary jam on them while warm. I like to bring a homemade bread loaf to meetups but when I bring popovers they go fast. What is it about popovers?!! Recipe adapted from Jessie Sheehan Bakes. Her olive oil baking series is fun.

19 Likes

Beautiful! Had never thought of olive oil in popovers. You mention taking them for a meeting, do they stay inflated? I know the ones I make, which are delicious, would be a saggy mess if transported.

1 Like

I was taught to create a small slit on the bottom of each popover to allow the steam to escape right out of the oven to prevent collapse and the meetup today was in my barn so I just did my best on the timing!

3 Likes

Chelsea buns. I haven’t baked these for a very long time and really have to fit them into the schedule more often. Fresh cake yeast makes these the softest, most pillowy, not-too-sweet treats.

23 Likes

EARLY morning Breakfast potluck with the neighbors on a very rainy/windy Saturday discussing yard cleanup and the new trash guidelines for our collective hilltop yards. A seasonal conversation that improves with carbs and java on tap!

Adapted from David Lebovitz recipe for Bostock. I didn’t add sliced almonds this time because I used the excellent almond extract from Watkins.

(previous photo on repeat).

19 Likes

My sister requested I bake scones for her birthday. I had raspberry puree and heavy cream to use up and followed a scone recipe that requires no butter or fuss. I’m making a raspberry compound butter to go with.

19 Likes

GORGEOUS @rooster