What are you baking? March 2022

hi all! I’m so happy to meet new friends and connect with old friends. What are you baking this month? Soda bread for St. Patrick’s Day? Hamantaschen for Purim? Please post what you’re baking; links are great if you have one!

17 Likes

(post deleted by author)

6 Likes

13 Likes

Looks good. How’s the texture like?

You are the small batch master! Yum!

@naf the exterior is semi firm, interior is chewy. The infused maple syrup really nice addition. I sandwiched almond butter btwn two. So six cookies total.

@heidicooksandbakes that’s my goal! Too many recipes to try, small batching helps me try more recipes, more often.

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

5 Likes

Cook’s Illustrated’s key lime pie. Key lime pie & Stella Park’s limeaid are my go tos when my tree is dropping limes.

I’ll start dropping links for recipes when I’m not too new a user to do so. The key lime pie is on food52 for anyone without a subscription to cook’s illustrated. It’s my favorite key lime pie recipe that I’ve tried.

25 Likes

Looks both gorgeous and delicious!!

To add a link in a post, click on the icon that looks like two links of a chain 4th from the left at the top of your post. As easy as uploading your lovely photo.

I think it’s because a new user can’t post a link immediately, only after a few posts. Remember those spammers?!

3 Likes

Love Key Lime Pie (yours looks amazing!), and I seriously LOVE your HO name and bumblesnail avatar! LOL

2 Likes

That looks terrific and my mouth is watering!

2 Likes

Oh that looks delicious! Is that whipped cream on top, or meringue? I’m a whipped cream gal! Welcome to the group, and thanks for providing some inspiration!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s whipped cream! And thanks to everybody for the warm welcome!

3 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Baking topics organisation

Hi all, this is my second post and it’s a Bakewell tart. The filling is cranberry jam which is very pleasing with the almond topping. The topping is very similar to a frangipane, almond flour, sugar, egg and a little flour. I found the tart to stay fresh for several days, it’s roughly adapted from a Dan Lepard recipe.

18 Likes

Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese (not buttermilk) frosting. The recipe copy I captured years ago says “Adapted from Brigid Callinan”. I made these to celebrate my grand-niece’s 2nd birthday via video call. She had chocolate cupcakes with blue frosting, and candles were in the dinosaur-shaped cake that she didn’t want cut (but eventually allowed). Grin.

A half recipe yielded 20 cupcakes. Despite what looked like a goodly amount of spice, these were pretty tame. The recipe copy said “best same day made”. I’ve now frozen most, but It will be interesting to see whether the few I kept out develop some depth of flavor.

16 Likes

Which spices did you opt to use? I enjoy a pumpkin muffin recipe my sister adapted and it includes fresh mace. Lovely photo and I also enjoy small batching where possible.

1 Like

@Rooster - I used all the spices listed in the recipe, although reduced the nutmeg slightly since I was using freshly-grated. For the half-recipe (2 cups of flour) this was: ground cinnamon (1 1/8 t), ground ginger (1 1/8 t), ground cloves (½ t), freshly grated nutmeg (scant ½ t)

3 Likes

Thanks for the add’l batter detail. On the cream cheese icing, what is your go to?