What are you baking? June 2022

I use his easy pie crust made in the food processor and I think it’s wonderful. The other link is Stella’s all-butter crust, which is rough puff. I like rough puff, but I don’t like it when blind baked as I always find it’s kind of tough (some might say crisp, but rough puff because of the necessary water content makes for a tougher crust). Plus I also sort of feel it’s not really pie crust. It’s delicious, but different. Also having made a lot of rough puff I have recipes I prefer over Stella’s.
Rough puff is really good for something like this particular pie, though.

1 Like

A sweet cherry raspberry turnover in a 6x9” pan. @MunchkinRedux Sprung a leak as I overfilled it , knowingly, couldn’t resist adding in the last of the cherries.

6 Likes

Perfect size!

I’ve made it with peaches/blueberries, etc. I usually cut a vent or two with a decorative cutter…but I didn’t, I think it’s a good thing to vent! In this size, one piece of dough is easy to handle.
ETA…given that it’s a turnover, no need to use a pan, a silpat lined cookie sheet would work just as well.

1 Like

I would also bet that :slight_smile:

1 Like

July thread is here.

Matcha madeleines. This matcha powder isn’t great so I had to do a little color correction with a couple of dots of blue. I’ll have to stick to using this in batter where I can add coloring like this and also things where I won’t be heating, like iced lattes or pudding. No humps because I didn’t give them enough rest time (I wanted green tea something now :joy: ), but I’m fine with that as I don’t really like the humps anyway. Pretty pleased with these from a taste and texture standpoint. They are delicious!

3 Likes

I could have sworn I saw someone post here that they made the new NYT recipe for Blueberry Pie Crumble Bars but I can’t find it. NYT wouldn’t let me get the recipe but I found another. Could someone tell me how this one differs? I’d rather use instant tapioca instead of cornstarch.

The crust and filling are identical to the NYT recipe, but the topping is completely different.

Here are the NYT topping ingredients:

• 5 ⅓ ounces/150 grams shortbread cookies (1 5.3-ounce package)
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 large egg yolk

The instructions are to pulse the cookies and dry ingredients in a food processor to combine, then add the butter and egg and pulse until evenly moistened.

4 Likes

I thought someone had made this?

maybe you’re thinking of the blueberry boy bait that I made… they are also bars, but they’re Smitten Kitchen (not NYT) and don’t have a crumble topping.

This is so cool :hugs:

Thank you. Welcome to HO!

@rstuart: have you ever tried a half-batch of the oatmeal jam bar recipe? I’m thinking it would work in an 8x8" pan, but with a shorter bake time…

Halving bar or cake recipes written for a 9x13” pan and baking in an 8x8” works well. I usually start checking a little ahead, and sometimes bake time is shorter, sometimes not. Depends on the recipe.

2 Likes

I made these Chewy Strawberry Jam Bars a couple of days ago. I substituted homemade rhubarb/blueberry jam for the strawberry jam.

My husband couldn’t stop eating them. I gave three to a friend who is a fine dining chef. He ate one, declared it “really good” and immediately ate another. That was a big feather I my cap.

I’ve made this recipe many times with many different flavors of homemade jam (strawberry, strawberry/rhubarb, blueberry rhubarb, cherry. All the variations have been delicious.

Heeding the blogger’s note about the amount of almond extract, I use 1/4 teaspoon almond extract and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
http://technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com/2008/11/chewy-strawberry-almond-bars.html?m=1

6 Likes

Yes, frequently, and it works well!

1 Like

Burger or sandwich buns always handy to have in the freezer. I usually weigh lumps, form balls and press down - this time I patted it out, relaxed a few minutes then cut rounds with my largest ring. Not as pleased with this cut version but they are

good anyway.

10 Likes

I made Alice Medrich’s orange olive oil cake but I skipped the almond coating because my plan was to layer it. I baked it in a 7 x 3 round cake pan and cut into 3 layers. If I were baking it to eat as is I’d likely cut down on the sugar by 30 grams, but because I knew I’d be putting a somewhat bitter orange jam between the layers I decided to leave it. I used 2 grams of salt rather than her “generous 1/8 tsp” measure.
I brushed syrup (2:1 water to sugar) on the layers, filled with orange jam (like a marmalade but no rinds), and whipped mascarpone frosting. DELICIOUS! I did not decorate this at all because I just wanted to try it out and didn’t make quite enough mascarpone frosting to coat the cake properly. I adore all the components together. The cake tastes distinctly like olive oil cake and works great with the jam, and the mascarpone frosting balances out the pleasant bitterness of the jam. I will be making this again for real sometime, probably with some booze added to the syrup.

11 Likes

Looks great! Thanks for the testing…must give it a try. The crumb looks lovely.

1 Like