What are you baking? April 2022

Oh,man! This reminds me that a pop-tart-type thing has long been on my bucket list to make. I’ve got to pull my resources and pick the one which inspires me most. Yay! Thanks!

3 Likes

I had printed out this recipe for carrot cake muffins ages ago and never got around to it until a few days ago. It’s a keeper! These were not too sweet; I might up the sugar a bit more the next time I make them – and usually I’m going in the other direction with sugar in recipes.

6 Likes

Wanted to do a lemon roll so decided to do a decor one. No stencil, just my rather shoddy artistic skills :joy:. This is why stripes, polka dots, and abstract shapes are best when going free hand.
I was nervous because I decided to futz with the fan function on this oven. It’s not a true convection oven, but it has a convection setting. Normally I avoid convection when baking, but was curious about trying it for this. The cake was fairly pale on top and yet the crust was dried, so I got a bit antsy about how it would roll. The cake rolled up nicely with no cracks, thankfully, but my filling is a touch looser than I’d like. Hopefully a rest in the fridge will help it. At this point I’m just always going to use mascarpone for any cream fillings or frostings, because the UHT cream here just does not get stiff enough.

24 Likes

Very impressive. Is your cake and/or mascarpone filling lemon flavored?

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, I put a little lemon zest in the batter, brushed the cake with lemon syrup, and the filling is lemons curd plus a whipped cream cheese and lemon curd frosting. It’s very tasty, but with the heat here it doesn’t take long for anything that is made with cream to start drooping.

The 35% UHT cream here never makes it past at best soft peaks and the imported stuff from President is also 35% UHT and has a tendency to separate. We used to get nice 40% cream that wasn’t UHT made by a local yogurt producer, but their products apparently didn’t sell well here so they stopped ordering them.

7 Likes

Hi, baking friends! Any interest in trying out a triannual baking COTM here on HO? If so, I can set up a nomination thread for a May–August selection. If you “like” this post (by using the knife-and-fork icon), I’ll take that as a yes.

12 Likes

I’d be really interested, as long as the baking cookbook includes savory options. Even with a triannual selection, a sweets only cookbook isn’t something that would work for my family of 3.

1 Like

A book with savory options as well as sweet is always a welcome possibility!

1 Like

I’m not disinterested, but as with all the OTM/OTQ threads, find I’m not always able to get to things in a timely manner. I’m also not inclined to purchase many cookbooks these days, so the likelihood of baking along further depends on either a) having the book already, b) finding web-based resources for the book, or c) it is a seriously good, all-purpose book which suits my households needs and preferences (and therefor one which I might be inclined to purchase).

I do follow along all the OTM/OTQ threads, make a lot of notes, often am inspired to cook/bake a reasonable substitute, and in short, fully enjoy the threads. I try to refrain from commenting too much on them (or knife-and-forking), if I’m not actually cooking or baking along with the group.

Just putting this out there so you know why I’m not knife-and-forking here. I would love to see the BCOTM threads revived, but actual participation would be circumstantial.

(Mod intervention)

Just added a highlight so people won’t miss your post.

2 Likes

Made this vegan English muffin with coconut milk and oil (instead of milk and butter). The coconut flavour was stronger than I thought but I like it.

These muffins were used to make vegetarian burger with roasted radish, egg, grated cheese, beetroot pickles, coriander lime cream sauce.

14 Likes

All of these submissions look so lovely! I delayed baking the Clementine cake that I saw on Cook’s Country awhile back until today. I made some minor changes and discovered that FRESH clementines are needed, not the weeks old ones I had. Sorry, no pictures. It came out delicious anyway and will be made again. It might be something to consider for Easter.

Blockquote

3 Likes

The other CH category I liked was the “what cookbooks have you purchased or what cookbooks interest you.”

4 Likes

We are starting get some wonderful mangoes here, so I made one of my favourite spring muffins: https://dairyfarmersofcanada.ca/en/canadian-goodness/recipes/tropical-mango-muffins

Add images here

10 Likes

Out of curiosity, I did a side-by-side comparison today in our dual oven. Top oven = standard oven. Bottom oven = convection optional, but there is a fan which kicks in and out on any setting.

I did a half-batch of drop scones in each oven simultaneously.

The top oven (standard) took 41 minutes. The rise was lesser in this oven, with more spread.

The bottom oven, on conventional (not convection) setting, but with the fan engaging intermittently, took 32 minutes. The rise was notably higher in this oven, with less spread.

Very interesting for me to see the different results, especially in the rise. I can use that as a tool going forward.

5 Likes

With this oven I always feel like the convection option makes for a weaker bake and I think that’s because it’s not actually a convection oven but it does what a convection oven does in terms of lowering the temperature by 25 degrees.
In real convections ovens I never liked using it for anything except roast chicken and mostly savory food.

1 Like

As I usually do when I have leftover pizza sauce, I made some variation of garlic-flavored bread. This one is ultra light, fluffy, and crisp while warm and very garlicky. Goes great with the leftover sauce, which I enhanced with some grated grana padano.

13 Likes

You’re killing me here.

2 Likes

Looks wonderful. Is there an link to the recipe?

It’s this, but I made quite a few changes.

1. I don’t quite understand making a sponge where all the yeast is used up front being put in the fridge, so I did what is typical and gave it an hour. Sponges where all the yeast for the entire recipe is used are supposed to be quick and their function is mostly to improve the keeping quality of the bread. If I’m going to ferment in the fridge, I’ll just mix the entire dough. Otherwise I’d rather just make a biga with a portion of the yeast.

2. I left out the honey and reduced the sugar to 25 g. That much honey is a strong flavor and much too sweet. I personally don’t like this type of bread being sweet (gave sweeter dough a shot previously and just found it jarring) and as written it would be noticeably sweet.

3. I used 6 grams of salt to get it to almost 2%

4. I used the mixer to knead it.

5. I used salted butter for the filling rather than the unsalted and added a couple of pinches more to taste once the garlic was in. I decided to try out the sugar in the filling, but just 5 g. This didn’t make the bread taste sweet once baked and perhaps it’s true that it contributed to balancing some of the garlic bite. I’d probably just leave it out next time because I don’t typically put sugar in garlic butter fillings and don’t feel it’s needed, but it’s fairly common in Asian bread recipes with garlic (for example the popular Korean garlic cream cheese bread).

And I decided to bake two smaller loaves because I was dying to use my oval pans. I also used scallions because I was out of parsley.
The garlic butter will taste quite strong when unbaked (I don’t bother melting it— butter is always better to spread on dough when it’s softened rather than melted), but it bakes up perfectly balanced imo. We gave some of the bread to a toddler and she loved it, so it certainly wasn’t too strong a garlic bite for her.

8 Likes