What are you baking? April 2022

That is a very enticing shot.

1 Like

I’ve done that, and fresh raspberries in the middle of almond cupcakes.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m a huge fan of apple desserts!

Same. had you discussed the recipe, or maybe I missed it…?

It’s sorta like the Jewish apple cake recipe on the web

It uses oil not butter.

I use more apples and much more cinnamon. I also slice the apples thinner and layer them between pours of batter instead of chopping them and mixing it all together. Also instead of frosting I use cinnamon and powdered sugar. Finally I add apple sauce not orange juice.

Enjoy !

3 Likes

Plain vanilla…almost. A dab of raspberry lemon preserve in the center of the cupcake and a thin glaze of ruby chocolate, topped with buttercream and sprinkles. On its way to munchkinville for some afternoon treats.

11 Likes

My current favorite cc cookie recipe from Jacques Torres. Using his thin round chocolate discs which creates layers of chocolate rather than chunks. Recipe is for 3.5 oz of dough per cookie - just too huge for my tastes, I did 2 oz - still large but not huge.

12 Likes

wow, Sally, those are so beautiful! I am so full now from eating 2 pieces of the KAF Cinnamon Star Bread I made for our son’s 15th adoption anniversary today; it’s his all-time favorite and I mastered it years ago. Otherwise, I’d be planning on this Dorie recipe right now!

I hope you are feeling better. We 3 here have been sick with something for a week now, but covid test is negative and allergy symptoms highly positive.

2 Likes

@Madrid - my husband and older daughter have MASSIVE head colds, and it’s fair to say that they’re 10x more miserable than I am at this point! They’ve tested negative for 8 days in a row, and my daughter said that everyone at the high school is sick (and unmasked - she’s masked because she’s a close contact to me)

1 Like

those are my favorites! I usually make them much smaller and with either chopped chocolate or chips but you’re making an excellent case for 2 oz with his discs… Where did you buy them @Elsieb ?

1 Like

Amazon

I may try this place next order as they also have them in milk and white.

The price per lb is less than others I’ve used. Could be time to stock up!

3 Likes

Those look delish! I far, far prefer chocolate disks to any other chocolate thing for cookies. Creates a lovely schmear of chocolate.

A small version of Flo Braker’s coffee toffee celebration cake. This cake is made with Braker’s wonderful buttermilk cake, which guarantees the cake will be good, and this definitely is. However, the Peanut Crunch Cake, Squared is still tops. This cake calls for two rounds of the buttermilk cake sandwiching a filling of toasted coconut and hazelnuts in a caramel sauce flavored with espresso powder. I used salted toasted almonds in place of hazelnuts because I don’t have hazelnuts and I thought the almonds would be great with the coconut. The directions call for light amber on the caramel, which is never my preference because I like dark, bitter caramel, but I decided to try it since I also subbed unsweetened coconut flakes for the sweetened kind called for. In spite of using salted almonds and adding a few pinches of salt to the caramel and salting again once the coconut and almonds were mixed in, I still wanted this filling a little saltier in the assembled cake and I would likely bring the caramel to at least medium amber next time. I sprinkled extra salt on the layer that tops the cake. Darker caramel would be my preference because as is it’s a bit sweeter than what I consider ideal. All in all, it’s a delicious cake because the base is that buttermilk cake that I never get tired of and the filling is a great combination of flavors. It just has stiff competition from the peanut crunch cake.

Also made some donut muffins, and they are also very good, but not quite the way I want them.

16 Likes

That is gorgeous. Mouth watering here…

2 Likes

Joanne Chang’s Maple Blueberry Scones, courtesy of Dorie Greenspan and the New York Times.

I chose this recipe because of the whole wheat and blueberries, two of my favorite things. Bonus points for the use of sour-cream and buttermilk.

We both thought these were as good as anything you would find in a bake shop (or better), with the caveat that it is the glaze that puts them over the top. I added the equivalent of 1 t. maple extract to the glaze, just for extra maple intensity. We tried a bite of unglazed scone to compare, and felt the texture and sweetness both suffered a little without it.

Today is Thursday. Last Monday I made a half-batch, adding ½ c. chopped pecans. Everything was mixed by hand (did not use the food processor). I used frozen berries, so rather than let the dough rest for a period in the fridge as called for (and run the risk of the berries thawing and releasing their juices), I froze the portioned scones until this morning.

Next time I will add half again more blueberries and pecans, but otherwise wouldn’t change a thing. Have put the recipe in my keeper file, and will make a full batch next time.

15 Likes

Now that’s a thing of beauty!

2 Likes

Asparagus pizza. Deets on WFD thread.

14 Likes

From the Food52 website: Spanakopita Scones.

I made a 1/3-test-recipe, and liked them, but didn’t love them. The sconey bits were the best parts, and the spinach-feta-dill business just kinda “there”. Am glad I tried them, even if working a spinach chiffonade into the dough was a Royal PITA. I can see where a spinach and herb scone might have some appeal, but I don’t think I’ll pursue it any further at this juncture.

Bonus points for good looks, though!

PS: If anyone has a good savory scone recipe outside of the ubiquitous (albeit tasty) bacon/ham and cheese, I’d be eager to hear about it.

9 Likes

I love those scones! I don’t have the book nearby but we preferred them half the size. I love that you added maple extract to the glaze - I’ll try that next time.

2 Likes

@MunchkinRedux - Coincidentally a

friend dropped off baked goods from Flour yesterday. Here’s a picture. I don’t think the scone is remarkably large but the meringue is enormous and the pop tart is large.

7 Likes